The Weekend Brew: One Thing I Desire

© xxknightwolf -

One thing I ask of the Lord,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord
and to seek him in his temple. (Psalm 27:4)

I sometimes question the intent of my heart.  I pray this scripture all the time.  But I often struggle to make Him the one desire of my heart.  I think God understands my humanness, my weakness, my distracted heart that continuously turns to other things for satisfaction.  And still I pray this prayer, that God would consume me and make my desire for Him greater than my desire for all other things.

I would love for you to join me for Fresh Brewed Sundays. This is where we share a scripture with just simple insight. No heavy words necessary. Feel free to use the button in your post and link up below!

1. Elizabeth Stewart says:

I understand exactly what you are saying Barbie, and pray the same way. Dana Candler’s books Deep unto Deep and Entirety talk about just this thing, the weakness of our love, the greatness of His, the desire to truly love Him wholeheartedly and to be equally yoked to Him in love. Have you read them?

• Barbie says:

Hi Elizabeth. I had just began reading Deep Unto Deep earlier this year. I only got to about Chapter 3 and was called to put it down to pick something else up. I can’t seem to manage to read more than one book at a time! However, I will hopefully be picking it up again and possibly starting a blog series. I emailed Dana for permission to use excerpts from her book a while back and she so graciously agreed! I’ve never read Eternity.

2. Shari Miller says:

I love this picture and verse! I love your music. Where did you get the player at? Is that a WordPress gadget?

• Barbie says:

Hi Shari. The music player was put on my blog by my designer. It appears to be called “simple music” and is a WordPress widget. The music was created by Jared Kraft (my designer’s brother). I am not certain he’s composing for blogs anymore. I happened to win a personalize song for my blog. It’s beautiful and Iove it. You can find Jared’s site here:

3. May it be so , Lord as Barbie has prayed! Love the verse and the picture! Thinking of you and praying for your soul to be overflowing with peace like a gentle river…Happy Sunday.

4. BethFerrell says:

Amen Barbie! I need to pray that same prayer. He called me to come outside on the deck to spend time with Him this morning. The King of Kings wanted to spend time with me, but what did I do? i got distracted and wanted to “weigh” first. Then I had to record my weight. Then I had to make sure I had my post ready for today. Yes, I need to pray that same prayer.

5. Kerri Smith says:

oh yes!! joining you in this prayer, my friend!

6. Child of God says:

Hi hon,
    It’s hard sometimes. The flesh is so strong that sometimes I feel so defeated. Praise God He knows us and understands just how we feel. I am so glad Jesus went through temptation, He really does know the pull of the flesh.

7. Kerri Smith says:

just wanted to share…i always read your “Freshly Brewed Sunday” post before I head out the door for Sunday morning service! This morning this very verse was the one our pastor chose to use as the benediction! oh how I love when God hammers it home!! Have a beautiful week, my friend!!

8. Laurie Collett says:

This was the life verse of a dear missionary friend who went home to be with the Lord.
    Thanks for the great post & linkup!
    May you have a blessed week in Him!

9. Michele-Lyn says:

I joined you today 🙂 I have always wanted to and today I was able to! I just love you <3

10. Stephanie Hanes says:

All He asks, friend, is that you KEEP on praying this prayer and seeking Him. He knows we will fail and fall short, but what He longs for most is a heart that continues to turn to Him. I love how you exposed your heart here and reminded each of us of such a beautiful truth. Thank you.

11. Lea says:

What a powerful post and oh, so lovely! How much richer my life would be if I made Him the desire of my heart 100% of the time. It’s a daily struggle to keep the things of this world and in this world in their proper place. Thanks for blessing my heart!

12. amyscanderson says:

What a perfect and needed prayer. I found myself confessing that I’m not perfect to God recently. I felt His smile and gentle correction all at once. He is the perfect One. He’s the One I need to seek and gaze on always. (I think I’ve seen your name at my friend Jennifer’s Poem Life blog, and then I was just commenting at Laura’s Wellspring and saw you. . . so I came to visit:)

• Barbie says:

Thank you so much for visiting. I would love to visit your blog, but I can’t seem to find the link in the comment. I’ll head over to Jennifers and possibly find it there.

13. This is my prayer too, Barbie. Such a lovely scripture to meditate on. Lovely.

14. Nikki says:

Oh, I pray this verse all the time, too. needed to hear your words on it today. thank you, friend!

15. Beautiful friend. It’s always such a breathe of peace when I stop by to visit you. I hope you are finding many moments to breathe in peace as the wedding approaches. Soak up the moments, they are gone in a flash. Thanks for this precious verse today. I’m claiming it!