42 In Writing & Blogging

A New Birth

Today is my 46th birthday!

And no, I am not accepting the Lord for the first time. I’ve known Him for better than half of my life.  But I feel as if I am on the verge of something new.  I’ve been feeling a little low over the last few days.  I could blame it on exhaustion following my daughter’s wedding, financial stress, or some recent health issues.  But, I am realizing more and more that although I may not feel good, or what I may see in front of me is not always what I desire, I know this one thing….

GOD IS GOOD!

I feel as if I am on the verge of an awakening and I am excited about it.  God has been calling me, wooing me in the night and helping me to see Him more clearly in the daylight.  I am learning to see with new eyes.

To see beauty that is only revealed when I search it out.

• My messy laundry — and how I am thankful that we have clothing.
  • My dirty dishes — and how it reminds me that we have food.
  • My kids who fight more than I’d like them to — which reminds me that they are growing and developing their own personalities, each uniquely crafted by their Creator.

I am ready to embrace my life.  Not that I haven’t before.  But with half of my life behind me, I want to press in with enthusiasm as I allow Him to continue to awaken my heart to his beauty.  One of the things that He has been speaking to my heart about is His steadfast loveI will be leaning in a little closer and posting here on the blog on Wednesdays about my journey to uncover the depth of this lovePerhaps you will join me?

Another thing that I am excited to dive into this year is journaling.  It’s not new to me.  I’ve always used this online space for that purpose, and have 3 or 4 journals laying around that I take with me now and then to capture what God speaks to me.  But I want to be more intentional.  I want to be more creative.  So I have a little something up my sleeve (if you follow me on Facebook, you have been given a glimpse).  I recently came across this amazing blogger.  She creatively journals and shares her journey on Instagram.  I was instantly drawn into the beauty that graced the pages of her journals.

(her southern charm – used with permission)

I knew this was something I had to do.  I serve a creative God, who wants to awaken my heart to creativity.  So, I ordered the pens she recommended, as well as a journal.

Mine is purple, because I am a royal daughter of the Most High King!

Every day when I meet with God I will have my journal and pens handy.  I will strive to creatively express what He reveals to my heart.  I know it won’t be perfect.  I will probably miss a day or two….perhaps many…but my desire is to be awakened to the colour that He is putting in my heart.  And no, that is not a typo.  COLOUR!

colour (n.) —  the property possessed by an object of producing different sensations on the eye as a result of the way the object reflects or emits light; vividness of visual appearance resulting from the presence of brightly colored things.

colour (v.) —  change the color of (something) by painting or dyeing it with crayons, paints, or dyes; make vivid or picturesque.

Beginning tomorrow, on the day of my new birth, this new adventure with God will begin.  My daughter asked me why I ordered so many pens.  Some are for writing, some for coloring.  I want to use a lot of color.  And I want to learn to doodle my thoughts and the imprints of my heart.  I am an abstract painter, but this will be a stretch for me.  I hope to post on Instagram each day using the hashtag #colouringmyheart — because as I lean in and I wait on Him, He colours my heart with the light of His Word, in vivid color.  You can follow me on Instagram at “barbieswihart” or on Pinterest at  “barbies”.

Despite circumstances that could keep me cowering in a corner and desiring a life that is not mine, I choose to receive all that God has for me with open arms.  My life is a gift.  What I choose to make of it is up to me.

Today,
I choose to love, because He loved me first.
I choose JOY because He provides joy unspeakable and full of glory.
I choose to forgive, because He has done this for me.
I choose to accept myself as the fearfully and wonderfully made child of God that I am.

Today,
I choose to laugh with my children, instead of hushing them up.
I choose to cherish my husband, because he is worthy.
I choose to give out of my abundance, even in my lack.
I choose to see beauty, despite pain.

Today,
I thank God that He loves me.  Not “if”, not “but”.  He simply does.
I thank God for my husband and children.  I have been blessed beyond measure.
I thank God for my friends.  Gifts and treasures I do not deserve.
I thank God for YOU, my blogging friends.  How my life has been enriched by each and every one.

I am grateful.  So grateful.  I am His today.  And He is mine.  I am moving forward, embracing this new birth with eyes and heart wide open to see the colour He paints on my heart.

Happy birthday to me!

Dawn St Amand Paoletta
    July 3, 2012 at 2:05 am

Happy Birthday, dear Barbie! I am so excited that you will be doodling and journaling! I hope you will consider linking up your new inspired thoughts and doodles with us on Random Journal Day!
    http://beneaththesurface-dawn.blogspot.com/p/links.html- I have not seen anything on Facebook yet, maybe I missed it- or am having a senior moment! I am a journal lover and so rejoice at your latest God inspiration. I also love your new pic! You look so pretty! And mischievous…lol! Like you have something wonderful up your sleeve or a secret you want to share! Enjoy your new birth and birthday! Hugs!

Rosann
    July 3, 2012 at 3:09 am

Happy Birthday, Barbie! I pray your day is full of joy and God’s blessings.

I ordered my journal and those exact pens on Sunday. Can’t wait for everything to arrive. My journal is soft suede strawberry pink. 🙂

Blessings to you friend,
    ~Rosann

July 3, 2012 at 10:35 am

YAY! I am so excited for this new adventure with God. I couldn’t wait to get up this morning. I just may have to do it again before I go to bed tonight! Love that you are taking the journey with me!

Laura Rath
    July 3, 2012 at 4:36 am

Happy Birthday Barbie! I pray you have a wonderful day filled with people & things you love. And if the day isn’t what you hoped (as often happens), I pray you still see God’s hand in it all!

Blessings to you friend! (I’m honored to call you friend!)
    In Christ,
    Laura

July 3, 2012 at 9:08 am

Thank you so much Laura! You are a gem!

Kerri Smith
    July 3, 2012 at 6:26 am

Happy Birthday, sweet friend!! What a wonderful idea….i love to journal but have never really taken it to the next step of expressing it in colour!! I would love to join you in this endeavor!! i think it would be good for me as i struggle through this rough patch in my life!!
    Blessings, Barbie….have a beautiful day!!

July 3, 2012 at 9:07 am

Oh Kerri, I would love to have you alongside this journey. Sometimes it helps to write it down, those things we don’t express on the blog, you know? No pressure, but I will look forward to seeing the colours He places on your heart!

Child of God
    July 3, 2012 at 8:14 am

Happy Birthday Barbie! 🙂

This sounds like a wonderful new journey and I love all the wonderful colours. I hope you have an amazing day, I am so glad you were born twice.

Blessings,

July 3, 2012 at 9:06 am

Thank you my friend!

Debbie
    July 3, 2012 at 8:57 am

Happy birthday Barbie! When I first read the title of this blog post, I wondered if you’d be sharing about someone’s salvation. But I hear you loud and clear. I also think after an important event like your daughter’s wedding, there can be a bit of a let down. Btw, from all the pictures I looked at, it was amazing!

I am one who journals and have done so for 20 plus years. I recently discovered a box of my journals and have been having an amazing time glancing through them. They actually have given me material for an eBook I am writing. It is about lessons from the dying for the living. When I worked as a cardiovascular nurse for many years, I dealt with many dying people. I chronicled so many of their journeys.

Blessings and love to you. And I will be following along with you on this new birth path.

Debbie

July 3, 2012 at 9:06 am

Thank you my friend. I’ve never really had the discipline of being consistent with journaling. It’s something I always desired to do. I am thankful God put this on my heart and am looking forward to my time with Him today!

Nikki
    July 3, 2012 at 9:52 am

Happiest of birthdays, beautiful Barbie! I’ve already told you — you are worth celebrating ! And what God is doing within you is certainly worth celebrating in color! Love this idea! Looking forward to seeing it unfold in your hands, friend. Hugs to you as I lift up my mug and thank the Lord for you!

July 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

Awe, you are truly a treasure in my life. Have a beautiful, colour-filled day! Love you!

soulstops
    July 3, 2012 at 11:48 am

Happy Birthday, Barbie…I have to agree with God, and with Nikki…You are worth celebrating, and I love how you are moving forward into the awakening He has for you…you have many creative gifts…Hugs, and blessings, and may God continue to shine His love and joy on you 🙂

July 3, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Thank you my sweet friend!

Denise J. Hughes
    July 3, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I love it. The journaling. The colour pens. Journaling is such a beautiful way that God speaks to us. Okay, I have to ask, what’s the music playing? I love it. 🙂

And Happy Birthday!!!

July 3, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Thank you Denise. The music on my blog was professional made for my blog. The artist is Jared Kraft, and I actually won the song from a giveaway on his mom’s blog (Lynnette Kraft). Isn’t it beautiful. And I can totally picture my blog life every time I hear it!

Charina @ Pondered Thoughts
    July 3, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Happy Happy Birthday Barbie! God bless you friend!

July 3, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Thank you Charina!

Tito Eric
    July 3, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Happy birthday and God bless, Barbie!

Cheers from Bohol, Philippines!

July 4, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Thank you Tito Eric!

Jennifer Camp
    July 3, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Happy Birthday!! Love your enthusiasm and joy in celebration of all the new gifts He brings! Bless you!

July 4, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Thank you my friend! You are one of my treasures.

Elizabeth Stewart
    July 3, 2012 at 5:15 pm

In the Sunday School of my childhood we sang a little different than normal birthday song…the words were: “A happy birthday to you
    A happy birthday to you
    Every day of the year
    May you feel Jesus near
    A happy birthday to you
    A happy birthday to you
    And the best year you ever had!” HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR BARBIE! XXOO

July 4, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Oh Elizabeth, thank you for singing over me on my birthday! Have a blessed week!

Glenda Childers
    July 3, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I love your anticipation of what God is going to do.

July 4, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I was so excited on the first day I couldn’t stop journaling and filled 8 pages. Today, well, I haven’t journaled at all. But there will be those days and I just move on tomorrow!

Jordan and Jessica
    July 3, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Happy birthday! 🙂

July 4, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Thank you so much!

Janelle
    July 3, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Amen. You are a royal daughter of the most high!

Janelle
    gracetags.com

July 4, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Thank you Janelle!

Alene Snodgrass
    July 4, 2012 at 10:27 am

First off – happy birthday! This was such the post I needed to read today. Can’t wait to read more and of course I’m loving your journals, pens, and colors. Your inspiration is just what the dr. ordered for me today! Blessings sweet friend.

July 4, 2012 at 11:50 pm

So thankful you were encouraged by stopping by today! Blessings to you!

TereasaM
    July 4, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Happy Birthday! I think you are giving yourself a wonderful gift. I have journaled with colour a few times and have taken sermon notes the same way. (BTW, I appreciate that you used the correct English spelling.LOL.) My kids love to sit next to me and see what my notes look like. I look forward to seeing what you come up with! I’ll look for you on pinterest and instagram!

July 4, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Thank you Tereasa! The English version was chosen the definitions there grabbed my attention. I’ve been having so much fun with it so far!

Lea
    July 4, 2012 at 1:04 pm

What a timely post! I will be 60 on the 29th of this month and I have been pondering this milestone for months and months. I have reflected on the life I have lived these past 59 years and how I would like/need to live differently in the years I have left. What’s HIs plan for me for the rest of my life? I am seeking……………

May you be especially blessed this day and thanks for sharing your heart and all the best on the journaling. I have kept a prayer journal for many years, but not really what I’d say a personal journal.

Happy Day!

July 4, 2012 at 11:48 pm

I think as we get older, it’s normal to evaluate our lives. My heart is to grow much closer to the Lord in this coming year. I am excited about the journaling. I filled 8 pages on the first day!

Kelli
    July 5, 2012 at 8:21 am

Oh, I am so sad that I missed your birthday!! Happy Birthday my friend!! I SOOO love your new birth, such a beautiful post!!
    Loved this, “because as I lean in and I wait on Him, He colours my heart with the light of His Word, in vivid color.” Amen!!
    Can’t wait till Wednesday to see all the colours he is painting your heart with 😉

July 6, 2012 at 10:12 am

Thank you for being a constant encourager of my heart. I’ve been putting my journal pages on facebook, instagram and pinterest so far. Am asking God how/when/if to incorporate them onto the blog . Would love to. Just waiting for clear direction. Perhaps a monthly or weekly journal link up?

Lolita Valle
    August 1, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I just came from Encore and found you ahead of me. Here I am, wanting to say Happy Birthday even if it is late.

What you choose to live by, I like to celebrate too, because I choose them too.

Have a wonderful year ahead with joy, peace and abundance from our Father in heaven.

August 1, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Thank y8ou so much Lolita! Thankful for your visit today!