The Weekend Brew: Guard Your Heart

“Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.”

I came across this verse in my Bible reading this week.  What does it mean to “guard your heart”?  For me, it means not allowing anything into it that would cause me to sin.  Some of the ways I guard my heart daily are by reading His Word, spending time in His presence, listening to worship music — allowing Him to fill every crack and crevice of my heart.  My attitudes about the different roles I play in my life come out of my heart.  My relationships with God, family, friends; my job; church and ministry; and even blogging will either reflect a heart fully at rest in the Lord, or a heart that is striving to accomplish things on her own.  My desire is to have a heart that is right before the Lord, free from the bondage of sin, so that I can return the blessings that He has given to me.

I would love for you to join me for Fresh Brewed Sundays. This is where we share a scripture with just simple insight. No heavy words necessary. Feel free to use the button in your post and link up below!

1. Wendy @ E1A says:

So important to guard our hearts. I’ve stopped watching many of the programmes on UK TV as it is not at all helpful. This is just one thing I’ve cut down on (apart from the news and certain documentaries). Same with music. I don’t listen to the radio much now either as there is so much vulgarities in songs and anti-scripture words being sung in songs that I don’t want that going around in my mind and dropping into my heart. It may seem dramatic but I think Christians have to take dramatic steps to avoid the wrong things entering their hearts.

2. Christina@toshowthemjesus.com says:

Perfect photo! May we guard our hearts against those things which keep us from loving Him. Blessings!

3. Kerri Smith says:

beautiful…and a word i needed to hear this morning. i have really struggled with this over the last month or so. thank you my friend!

4. Joy says:

Linking for the first time. That is my goal too. Guard my heart. Blessings to get to know sister’s in Christ in blogworld:)

5. bethinnc says:

I love that photo Barbie. Beautiful! <3 I think you're right about the ways we guard our hearts. So many guard their hearts by not allowing themselves to fully love or be loved (due to wounds). I believe you are correct in your interpretation. Have a blessed Sunday!

• Barbie says:

I know all too well about that type of guarding. I ocassionally put walls up to try to avoid getting hurt. But the best balm is to have the Word of God guarding my heart.

6. Child of God says:

I too just love this picture! Our hearts are very tender and can be influenced by what is around us. I love how you guard your heart. Filling it with good things will allow for only good things to come out. Beautiful scripture to ponder on.
    Blessings,

7. Nikki says:

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately, Barbie. Well, since I read about guarding our hearts in “You’re Already Amazing” a couple months back…His permission to protect my vulnerability overwhelms me. Giving us the armor to protect it. Providing the balm to heal it. Offering to take up dwelling in it. A.Mazing. To God be the glory…
    hugs to you, friend! Thanks for always pointing me back to Him!

8. Laurie Collett says:

May we hide His Word in our heart that it will always be there to guide us! Thanks for hosting the linkup, and God bless!
    Laurie

9. Patsy Paterno says:

“For where your treasure is, there your heart is also.” Indeed we have to guard our heart! You put this truth so nicely. Blessings! patsy