Five Minute Friday: Change

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and others for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. Just words freely flowing from my heart to yours.

Change

© Jacek Chabraszewski – Fotolia.com

Change.  It’s unavoidable.  One cannot live life without encountering this often unwelcome visitor.  It can come at any time, unannounced, causing you to scurry to keep the memories alive in the moment, before everything changes.  At times, it arrives with such force that it throws you off of your footing, leaving you dropping to your knees in prayer to the Only One who never changes.  Still, at other times it creaps in quietly, as soft as the morning sunrise and before you know it everything changes.

In the blink of an eye it all can change. Life as we know it becomes the life that once was.

I never get too excited about change.  I like routine, knowing one day from the next how it will all play out. I have experienced change in all facets.  Life changes, as quickly as the seasons  — Winter turns to Spring and behold all things become new. Spring spills into Summer where life is lived carefree with the sun beating down on our backs.  Summer becomes the Fall, where the leaves change, turning colors and you realize that Winter is once again around the corner.

In life, change is unavoidable.  I can either accept it with clenched jaw and fist, or I can open my hands and commit every season to the One who never changes.

Five Minute Friday

1. Linda says:

It’s ironic that when I am going through change, I can often be paralyzed and for get to drop to my knees to the Only One Who never changes. I love that phrase! I know it, but need to be reminded of it often.

• Barbie says:

Me too Linda. Sometimes He is the last person I consult when the changes come. But I forget that He is right there, in the middle of it all. Thanks for stopping by!

2. For me the hardest changes are the ones I need to make myself in habits or routines. The ones that are forces by circumstances are easies for me to accept and embrace and trust.

3. Mary Bonner says:

I can either accept it with clenched jaw and fist, or I can open my hands and commit every season to the One who never changes.” These are profound words my friend. Open hands are much more welcoming than clenched fists.

Lovely post, Barbie!

Praying for you~
    Mary

4. Denise Oldham says:

Amen, beautifully said.

5. Ha! I love your last line, Barbie! Beautifully said!

6. ro elliott says:

amen to that last line…we do have a choice…change is going to happen…we can not change that…but we do have the choice what we do when the change comes…I too want to live open-handed…trusting the One who never changes…blessings to you~

7. Debbie Petras says:

I am like you Barbie. I dislike change. But life happens and change is inevitable. So glad we have a God who already knows all about the changes that will happen in our lives and some of those changes are for good.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie

8. veronica says:

Over the years I have been learning to like change. I used to dislike it very much, but now I try to look at change as a new and exciting adventure 🙂

9. StefanieYoungBrown says:

This morning I had a “clinched-jaw” moment. Thankfully, I drew from Ann Voskamp’s be grateful in the messy moments of life philosophy. Change at the last minute rubs me the wrong way. Ironically, He’s changing me and growing me through it.
    I so relate, sweet friend!
    Happy FMF!

10. Barbie says:

So true Veronica! Change is truly an adventure.

11. Yes: ”
    Life as we know it becomes the life that once was.” So thankful He is with us through all the change.

12. Ashley Ditto says:

What a beautiful post!!

13. Malisa Price says:

I loved what you said about accepting change with open hands or clenched fists. Thank you for sharing your thoughts today!

14. Jacqui says:

So many great truths here, Barbie! I think what I like most is that we can “drop to our knees in prayer to the Only One who never changes” (that’s basically the quote:). Clinging to the One constant when life may be changing all around me is a comfort and a shelter! Thanks for sharing, friend!

15. charis says:

barbie, i am one that is rarely ready for the next season… right now i am bemoaning the end of summer though i would usually tell you fall is my favorite. i thought i would write about something similar, but this week something different came out.