Five Minute Friday: Here

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and others for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. Just words freely flowing from my heart to yours.

Today’s Prompt:  Here

Here today, gone tomorrow.  I’ve heard this phrase my entire life.  I have learned since coming to the Lord that nothing in this world lasts.  I cannot put my faith, hope or trust in anything this world has to offer.  Disappointment comes, as dreams are lost or a loved one taken in the blink of an eye.  Hurt and pain creep in when false expectations are allowed to grow in places of my heart where the only One worthy of trusting is Jesus.

I am not promised tomorrow.  For I am here today.  But tomorrow?  Only God knows.  What I do with my life today, in the here and now, will have a lasting and eternal effect on my tomorrow.  Today, I make decisions that will not only affect me, but my family as well.

Lord, I am here.  Take my willing heart, my weak “yes” and use it for your Glory.  Today Lord, I choose to follow you, wherever you lead.  I am the potter, You the clay.  Here I am Lord, send me — to the market, to the gutters, to the mission field.  Today I say yes to the here and now.  For I know that all of my tomorrows are in your capable hands.

Five Minute Friday

1. sunshine says:

A wonderful 5 minute reminder to be here now and more importantly, to be here in His presence…
    you have a beautiful, grace filled home here…thanks for sharing your ‘here’.

2. Sylvia R @ sylvrpen.com says:

This is beautiful, and in its truth brings me truly down to the blessed here and now, to rest in Him there. Thank you for this.

3. alwaysalleluia says:

It’s all fleeting–He is the rock who sustains us in the uncertainty and orders our steps. Lovely truth here, Barbie. Blessings, sweet friend.

4. Mary Bonner says:

For I know that all of my tomorrows are in your capable hands.” Where would I be if the tomorrows were not in his hands???

I echo your prayer, my friend.

Mary

5. StefanieYoungBrown says:

Nothingness, a world of nothingness. But in HIM, everything!!
    Trusting Him for tomorrow:))

6. Debbie says:

You’re so right Barbie! We are not promised tomorrow. So what do we choose to do with today?

Blessings and love,
    Debbie

7. Michele-Lyn says:

Oh, yes! Our tomorrows are in His capable hands so we do not have to worry about them. Even our here and now’s, He holds. We journey together in settling in our here, trusting Him, with great expectation and hope for seeing that future He holds.

Bless you and love to you,

Michele-Lyn

8. This is so true…remembering that today is all that we have changes everything. It changes our actions and every choice that we make. It also reminds me that I have an eternal home that I so look forward to.

• Barbie says:

Someone once told me to “maximize the moments that God gives you”. There are blessings and joys to be found every day. Somedays hard to find, but I know if I seek it out, I will find them! Thanks for stopping by!

9. Realizing the the phrase here today, gone tomorrow is true and that people will always disappoint is much of what sent me to Christ’s feet in college. Thanks for the reminder.

10. path of treasure says:

Hello again– I’m your neighbor at Five Minute Friday.
    We are not guaranteed tomorrow– but are here today– and He’s taking care of tomorrow. I’m so glad He is and it comforts me to know that!

11. joyfullyinhim says:

“What I do with my life today, in the here and now, will have a lasting and eternal effect on my tomorrow.”
    Such truth that I hope to live in my friend. Thank you for your beautiful 5 minutes 😉

12. soulstops says:

This line:”Hurt and pain creep in when false expectations are allowed to grow in
    places of my heart where the only One worthy of trusting is Jesus.” So true. I have learned this the hard way. Thankful for His grace. Wonderful thoughts here, Barbie…praying His peace and love surround you today, friend 🙂

13. bethinnc says:

Barbie, isn’t that the truth! Nothing but eternal things last forever. And you’re right — our decisions affect everyone around us.

Have a wonderful weekend!

14. Jacqui says:

I love the prayer at the end, Barbie. Such a beautiful insight into your heart and oh, how God receives those “weak yes.'” I”m with you, yielding my tomorrows to God, desiring to make an eternal effect by living in the here today. Many blessings!

15. Beautiful, sweet friend, beautiful! My heart breathes here. You bless me.

16. “Today I say yes to the here and now.” Amen!!

• Barbie says:

Thanks for stopping by my friend. I am going to buy buying your newest coffee art very soon for my kitchen! Can’t wait!

• Yay! Happy to hear it will be part of your kitchen, Barbie! Not sure how this commenting/replying works. Do you get these replies? —– Original Message —–
        From: Disqus
        To: studiojru@stanton.net
        Sent: Friday, August 03, 2012 7:42 PM
        Subject: [myfreshlybrewedlife] Re: Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

Barbie wrote, in response to Jennifer_StudioJRU:

User’s website

Link to comment

17. Diana Denis says:

You’re always such a blessing! I had to tweet this line: ”
    Hurt and pain creep in when false expectations are allowed to grow in places of my heart where the only One worthy of trusting is Jesus.”

• Barbie says:

Thanks Diana! I would have put in the “tweet this” button, but I can’t figure out how to do it on my self-hosted WP blog 🙂 But thank you so much for your encouragement.

18. Barbie says:

Jacqui, thank you so much for stopping by! You’ve blessed me!

19. Dawn says:

“Take my willing heart, my weak “yes” and use it for your Glory.” Yes. THIS. Beautiful words.

20. Wendy says:

“Take my willing heart, my weak “yes” and use it for your Glory.” This is the heart of all my prayers lately. Thank you so much for putting this into words for me. Blessings!

21. charis says:

Yes! We are really tracking. Trust in His leadership is all we have to get us theough all the todays. Thanks Barbie.

22. Wendy @ E1A says:

So true – we are not promised tomorrow. This post is especially close to my heart this week… my dad died suddenly at work 30 years ago. It was certainly unexpected and a reminder of the brevity of life.

23. Lori says:

That’s it! Here I am…..with a willing heart.
    Blessings to you!!!

24. Take my weak “yes.” Love that. I have a hard time being present in the now, and try to protect myself from the disappointments. Thanks for reminding me that even a weak yes is still a yes!

25. Barbie says:

AMEN Lori! Thanks for visiting!

26. Barbie says:

Wendy, praying God holds you close this week. Life is fragile. All the more reason to relish every moment we are given each day!

27. Barbie says:

You’re welcome Wendy. Sometimes I feel as if I need to wait for the bold “yes”, the one that thinks it nows it all, expects certain things. But I am finding my here and now consists of more weak yeses than bold ones. Thanks for stopping by!

28. Barbie says:

Have a beautiful weekend friend!

29. Barbie says:

Thank you Sylvia for stopping by!

30. Barbie says:

Thank you Sunshine for visiting!

31. Jen Buckner says:

Today I say yes to the here and now. For I know that all of my tomorrows are in your capable hands.

Love this! <3 Mmm, thank you for sharing!

32. Oh thank you so much for these beautiful words- I needed this today!