Five Minute Friday: Focus

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and others for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. Just words freely flowing from my heart to yours.

Focus

© galina_d – Fotolia.com

I long to live a life in focus, to have clear vision of all that is in front of me.  Lately, I’ve been feeling a little out of focus.  My eyesight is blurry and it’s hard to have clear vision of all the things on my plate — wife, mom, full-time worker, homeschooler, minister, housekeeper.  The more I strain to see, the more out of focus my vision becomes.

In order to have clear vision, I must focus my attention on God.  If I fix my eyes on Him, I will not strain to see all that is in front of me.  Sometimes I long to see beyond what my eyes have been made to see. I strive and strain to focus my attention on those things not yet made for my eyesight.  But I must turn my eyes away from longing for the unseen and focus on God.

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, (Hebrews 12:2)

God is the author and finisher of my faith.  He knows the end from the beginning. When I fix my eyes on Him, bringing Him into clear view, my vision is clear.  My focus must be on the One who can give me eyes to see clearly.  Through the blurry haze of the mundane, God will bring my life into focus.

How is your vision lately?  Are you focusing your attention on Him?  Allow Him to bring your life into focus.  You will see much more clearer.

Five Minute Friday

1. Diana Denis says:

Oh Barbie, I’m striving with you! So grateful for grace and grateful for the invitation to set my eyes on Him when I get distracted.

2. Michele-Lyn says:

I long for that vision of clarity… I pray for us both, that we will pull away long enough to gaze our eyes until He gives it…

3. Thinking, as I read posts from FMF, that no one ever says they are in a time of focus. We all say we have been off lately. Yet we all long to trust and focus more. Must be the human condition? Saw a comment by you on another blog and I am needing to learn how to tweet too…=)

• Barbie says:

That’s so true, sadly. I would agree that in our weak and human condition, it’s hard to remain focused. But I am thankful He calls me to refocus every day, several times a day. So thankful for His grace. And yes, Twitter. I have a love/hate relationship with it. 🙂

4. KimberlyCoyle says:

A wonderful reminder:) And I’m right here with you, rubbing my eyes, and hoping to see more clearly.

5. Debbie Petras says:

What a great reminder Barbie. I get so easily distracted. I haven’t written my Five Minute Friday post because I have too much occupying my mind at the moment. I need to FOCUS!

Blessings and love to you friend,
    Debbie

6. Adoption Mama says:

Struggling at times to focus, for these dear emotions feel true, but so many times they are a lie. Thanks for the encouragment.

7. SimplySurrender says:

I am coming to understand that my “fog” has been of my own doing. Today’s devotion in My Utmost was written just for me, I know it was! I have been struggling with a decision and have felt like I have been living unfocused. God is revealing to me why. It may be hard to swallow but I have to obey.

8. StefanieYoungBrown says:

What a beautiful post, Barbie! This part, however, has resonated with me: “Sometimes I long to see beyond what my eyes have been made to see. I
    strive and strain to focus my attention on those things not yet made for
    my eyesight. But I must turn my eyes away from longing for the unseen
    and focus on God.” I’m in a place in life where I’m longing to see the other side of a situation. I want to see, but for selfish reasons. May I focus on HIM as He walks me through to the other side. Then I will see.

9. Janette Wright says:

Awesome post…I too am in this season, and I too need to focus totally on Him and not on what I see around me…thanks for sharing, it allowed me to focus more clearly today!

10. soulstops says:

Oh, Barbie, I so get this…funny, my post was on this also…Happy Friday and praying we both keep our eyes focused on Him…blessings 🙂

11. Barbie, this is so me – ”
    Sometimes I long to see beyond what my eyes have been made to see. I strive and strain to focus my attention on those things not yet made for my eyesight. But I must turn my eyes away from longing for the unseen and focus on God.” – With expecting our first baby in a few weeks I have been so focused on all there is to come including all of my fears. I am already worrying about her being a teenager and her safety and what-if this and what-if that! I am realizing that I am already missing the joy that is now by not focusing on today. I need to stop and focus on Him and now so that I don’t miss this joy He has given me.

• Barbie says:

Oh Brenda, your fears and worries are valued. Every mama goes through that with their first baby. But I can tell you from experience, you will get through those teen years, and she will be just fine. We want the best for our babes, don’t we? Have a beautiful week.

12. Mary Beth says:

It’s hard when our eyes are fixed on Jesus, and we still feel like we can’t see…like he hasn’t revealed the next step. That’s when the rubber meets to road with trusting Him.

13. Denise Oldham says:

I totally understand this post, bless you.

14. Nikki says:

Beautiful…..wonderful reflection of your heart, friend.
    You know, I’m starting to see why the path needs to be narrow…we lose focus so easily! And I’m starting to find comfort in not seeing too far ahead. because then I know I’m that much closer to Him. And lately, I think He has me pulled in super tight in His arms as I can’t see a thing and yet I feel His breath upon me…
    Hugs to you, friend!

15. It’s so easy to lose focus, isn’t it? When I don’t start my day with Him, my focus is so blurred. A timely reminder. Thanks for sharing your beautiful heart.