Five Minute Friday: Graceful

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and others for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. Just words freely flowing from my heart to yours.

Graceful

© Luisa23 – Fotolia.com

Growing up I always admired dancers and synchronized swimmers.  They moved with such grace and ease.  To be graceful was something that I always had to work at.  As a child, I had moments of clumsiness.  I could trip over my own two feet, or walk into walls when I wasn’t looking.  As a teen, I roller skated competitively, and learned how to glide across the skating floor with fluidity of movement.  A few years ago, I led a praise dance team at church.  Although I had no formal training, I relied on the Holy Spirit for the graceful movement to be applied to the dance.

God desires that my walk with Him be filled with graceful movement — light on my feet, always moving toward Him, moving at the sound of His voice.  The Lord and I, moving together as one, flowing effortless across this dance floor called life.  But when I choose to step outside of His will, or move away from the sound of His voice, my steps become rushed, hard, bulky.  My graceful and effortless movements soon replace themselves with the pounding and stomping of my own two feet as I rush hurriedly through life.  I long for graceful movement once again.

I desire to yield, so that once again my steps would be graceful, full of grace.  I don’t want to strive to move here or there.  I only want to move at the sound of His voice. For when I do, I become light on my feet, my steps once again flowing freely in complete unison with the One leads me.

Five Minute Friday

1. Barbie, I loved your take on today’s prompt. It reminded me of a post I read on Sally Clarkson’s blog titled “Dancing with my Father”. Thank you for the sweet reminder to live our lives in step with our Savior. Blessings!

2. Stacy says:

Yes, the only way we can move together as one, flowing effortless, is when we let him lead. I love this picture! How I want to move at the sound of His voice.

3. Richelle Wright says:

that’s the neat thing about dancing – its beautiful, fluid, looking effortless – when we submit ourselves to follow the leader and not have our own way.

as a dancer myself, i truly appreciated your perspective on today’s word.

blessings!

4. StefanieYoungBrown says:

I love your take on “graceful”. Yes, we should move instinctively and in synch with Him. Beautiful analogy:)

5. Dawn Paoletta says:

Yay! You wrote! What beautiful words…
    God desires that my walk with Him be filled with graceful movement — light on my feet, always moving toward Him, moving at the sound of His voice. The Lord and I, moving together as one, flowing effortless across this dance floor called life. LOVE THIS! One day at a time, my friend! lovely post. I am off to Lisa Jo’s.

6. Mary Bonner says:

Barbie…beautiful, lovely words on graceful! “choose to step outside his will…” Oh, when we make that choice life is much less graceful.

This is lovely Barbie!

Mary

7. Sylvia Robertson says:

Amen. Always that tension, caused by the pull of other things that are not God, pulling us away from Him, making us hasty, hard, and heavy on our feet. The desire to yield is the first step back to the grace-full dance with Him. Beautiful.

8. Debbie Petras says:

Simply beautiful Barbie! I love your description of your daily dance with the Lord. How important to yield to Him alone.

blessings and love,
    Debbie

9. TereasaM says:

You are such a beautiful woman.

10. Michele-Lyn says:

Do you know, dancing is one of my most favorite ways to worship God? It is also my most intimate way. When I was 17 years old, God asked me to save all my dancing for Him. Which meant I was never to dance on stage. Here I am, the same number of years later and when no one is home and it’s just God and I… we dance.

I love this. It is so special to me 🙂 Love you, Barbie.

11. Nikki says:

Oh yes…I’m loving this. Fluidity finds me when I keep my eyes on Him…and you helped remind me of that, friend. Thank you so much.

12. Jamie says:

Only to move at the sound of His voice – yes! I want that too. So thankful for grace. Loved your words here.

13. Rachel says:

Beautiful picture of becoming graceful through yielding to Him! Enjoyed reading and looking forward to following your blog! =)

14. soulstops says:

oh, the grace when we yield, as you pointed so wonderfully…wishing you a blessed weekend, Barbie 🙂