41 In My 5 Minute Fridays

Five Minute Friday: Wide

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and others for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. Just words freely flowing from my heart to yours.

Wide

© Olga Khoroshunova – Fotolia.com

God’s love is as vast as the ocean.  When I was a little girl growing up, I use to love to sing the song “Deep and Wide.”

Deep and wide
Deep and wide
There’s a fountain flowing deep and wide
Deep and wide
Deep and wide
There’s a fountain flowing deep and wide.

When I think of the width, depth, length and height of His love for me, I can tend to get rather emotional.  It’s hard to comprehend that the Creator of the universe opens His arms wide to me and invites me to come to Him, just as I am.  He took me, full of sin and shame and reached down from the wide expanse of Heaven and grabbed hold of my heart.  He’s never let go and I’ve been forever changed by His love.

Whenever I visit the ocean, I love to stand on the shore and look across the wide expanse of water.  It goes on, and on, and on.  This is how the love of God is.  There is no end.  It is everlasting.  I pray, and continue to ask God to open my heart to receive His love deep and wide for me.

And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,  may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.  (Ephesians 3:17-19)

Five Minute Friday

Martha Brady
    September 20, 2012 at 10:59 pm

hi barbie, this was the topic i was going to write about too. good thing i didn’t:) i agree with you. i love looking at the ocean and thinking about GOD’s love for us. yes, I live in TX now, but i grew up and lived in south FL for many years. i do miss the ocean! seems to put me in my place somehow.

September 21, 2012 at 1:20 am

I’ve already seen two posts with this topic, one with the exact opening lines as mine! His love is so vast. It hurts my brain to think about it. Have a great weekend!

KimberlyCoyle
    September 20, 2012 at 11:40 pm

I need to dwell on this today. Thank you:)

September 21, 2012 at 1:19 am

You’re most welcome friend! Looking forward to reading your post.

Richelle Wright
    September 21, 2012 at 4:02 am

i love the song that has the line “how vast beyond all measure” or the other one about the sky being a scroll and the seas containing the ink, we still could not write to describe adequately the love of God.

lovely post today; thank you!

September 21, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I’ve never heard the song about the seas containing the ink. Love that. Have a blessed weekend.

veronica
    September 21, 2012 at 4:18 am

As soon as I read the prompt that song popped into my head 🙂 Praise God for his wide, long, high, deep love for us that is beyond our comprehension! Happy Friday!

September 21, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I love how God has brought so many of us back to our childhood memories of this song! Happy Friday.

Dawn Paoletta
    September 21, 2012 at 5:12 am

Barbie, that is the exact verse that God gave me as soon as Lisa-Jo ‘s prompt came into my sight! The Holy Spirit is so amazing in revealing God’s Word! Love the ocean thoughts…yes, my friend the ocean reminds me of the width of His love! Wish I could have a coffee with you and chat and visit…your blog is looking lovely with all the changes here and there. I am hoping to link up again SUnday- it has been so crazy and sporadic lately. Love and hugs, Happy Friday!

September 21, 2012 at 10:10 pm

The ocean is a great visual of the vastness of His love, isn’t it? Thank you for the comments on my blog. I really appreciate it. Would love to have you link up with Fresh Brewed Sundays again any time!

Larri at Seams Inspired
    September 21, 2012 at 5:37 am

I am overwhelmed by just how deep and wide His love for us, for me is. Great post, Barbie! Thanks for sharing. Happy Friday! 🙂

September 21, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Blessings to you my friend!

Debbie Petras
    September 21, 2012 at 6:08 am

As I was writing my post on this word WIDE, that is the Scripture verse that came to my mind too Barbie. It can be overwhelming when we consider how much He loves us.

Blessings and love to you my friend,
    Debbie

September 21, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Love you friend. May you encounter His love this weekend!

Christina Berry
    September 21, 2012 at 6:12 am

I wrote about this song in my post today, too! 🙂 This is beautiful, Barbie! Thanks for sharing!

September 21, 2012 at 10:08 pm

So many posted about the song. I think it’s wonderful how God brought this little song to all of our memories.

StefanieYoungBrown
    September 21, 2012 at 7:47 am

Beautiful post, Barbie! Your words flow easily and your imagery is so powerful. I, too, want to “ask God to open my heart to receive His love deep and wide for me.” Thank you:))

September 21, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Thanks Stefanie. Have a beautiful weekend.

StefanieYoungBrown
        September 24, 2012 at 6:14 pm

You’re welcome:)))

Denise Oldham
    September 21, 2012 at 9:43 am

Really lovely post.

September 21, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Thank you Denise!

Jennifer Camp
    September 21, 2012 at 11:21 am

Oh, this is our prayer — that we might be able to take this in, just a little, for yes, His love is beyond what I can ever imagine, on my own. Love this, Barbie. Bless you this weekend.

September 21, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Thank you so much my friend. Have a fabulous weekend.

Diana Denis
    September 21, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I have to borrow Nikki’s line, are we kindred spirits? Isn’t His love overwhelming at times? I’m right here with you Barbie. I love how you bless me with your words!

September 21, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Thank you Diana! You are a blessing to me!

Melanie Gillgrist
    September 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm

“The Creator of the universe opens His arms wide to me and invites me to come to Him, just as I am”
    Amazing indeed!
    Thanks Barbie

September 21, 2012 at 10:06 pm

So thankful! Have a blessed weekend.

Nancy Wike
    September 21, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I started my Five Minute Friday off with this song, too. 🙂 Must be a children’s church/VBS staple.

It’s so hard to comprehend God’s love for us, especially when we are surrounded by so many people that let us down, change their minds, and decide they don’t want to love us after all. I’m so glad He gave us His Word so we can constantly be reminded that His love is true love.

September 21, 2012 at 10:06 pm

So true. If it wasn’t for His Word, I wouldn’t know how to remind myself of this love! Thanks for visiting.

Jerri Miller
    September 21, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I see that we are in one mind and in one accord on this thing! You explained it beautifully!

Love how that same scripture is in your blog header!

September 21, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Oh yes, this is my life pursuit, to be rooted and grounded is His love! Thanks for stopping by.

Lea
    September 21, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Oh, what memories I have of the song Deep and Wide, in fact, I was just singing it recently with my Granddaughter and showing her the hand motions.

Great post Barbie, as always!

September 21, 2012 at 10:04 pm

I sang it as a kid, but never went to Sunday school. I learned it from somewhere. So thankful for His love.

Alia_Joy
    September 21, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I’ve been to a few sites and they both have this same theme. The width and depth of God’s love for us. It’s something so many of us think of and yet we will never truly grasp it, it’s so immense. Lovely reminder of His love. Thanks.

September 21, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I’ve read several blogs with this theme. I love it!

Beth Zimmerman
    September 21, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Chrissy was remembering this song today too. =) Love your thoughts on the ocean. It’s been a long time since I stood at the water’s edge and gazed into eternity. WHEN I do so again someday I shall think of the deep and wide love of my Father!

September 21, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Thanks for stopping by today Beth. So many shared about the “deep” and “wide” that God offers to all!

Sandpiper
    September 22, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Thanks for your comments on my blog! Wow, you must be busy with working and homeschooling. Hopefully you can find the support you’re looking for. There are lots of choices out there!

September 23, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Laura @ Pruning Princesses
    September 23, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Oh I love the ocean. I love the deep and wide song too. And I always marvel that though the ocean is deep and wide, God gives it boundaries. It’s power is not unending, not like his.

September 23, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Laura, that is a great observation! Have a blessed week.