16 In Homeschooling

Here We Go! {Adventures in Homeschooling}

This is my very first “adventures in homeschooling” post.  I am not committing to writing about homeschooling every week.  But whenever I feel I have something I want to journal, or something to share with you, I will post about it.  I am excited about this new adventure. My prayer is that my daughter (12yo – 7th grade) will grow to love school and that we will grow closer together through this experience.

As a full-time working mom, I will have to be creative if I am going to school my daughter effectively.  I will only be with her full time on Mondays. She will be with me just a few hours on Tuesdays, and come to work with me on Fridays.  On Wednesdays and Thursdays my sister will supervise her and we will also be doing some schooling in the evenings.  I am so thankful that I have a flexible job at my church and that they encourage the children to participate in prayer room activities. Another perk for me homeschooling is that my daughter will get to spend more time in the prayer room cultivating her vocal and music abilities while worshipping the Lord! And, I will get to count her prayer room time towards both Bible and Fine Arts.

I thought I would share the curriculum that I will be using.  I am excited that all of the curriculum I will be using is Bible based.

Bible and Fine Arts.

Bible will be a daily assignment.  I created my own Bible curriculum.  Part of the reason is that because my daughter is actively engaged in the life of the Prayer Room as a singer, she meditates on and sings a lot of scripture.  I will get to count some of her prayer room hours as both fine arts and Bible.  So I didn’t need to come up with too much other Bible curriculum for her. I chose the Girls of Grace devotional as a nightly reading and something we will discuss together.  I love that it deals with life issues — purity, dating, forgiveness, etc. I will also have her working through Kay Arthur’s How to Study Your Bible for Kids, which introduces the the basics of inductive Bible study: observation, interpretation, and application.  Although this is just a little elementary for her age, the adult version was just too difficult.  My prayer is that she would gain a better understanding of the Word, and learn how to dig deep and study out scripture.

Math.

Math will be done daily using Teaching Textbooks, Math 7.  Math is my daughter’s weakest subject, and my husband and I do not feel we can give her a lot of help. Our knowledge of math is pretty elementary.  So, we needed a curriculum that would provide a DVD lesson, in the event she needed it.  We went back and forth between different curriculums and finally decided to give this a try.  I had my daughter take the tests for both Math 6 and 7.  She was borderline for Math 7, so hopefully she will know enough that, together with the DVDs, she can conquer her trouble areas and move forward.

Language Arts.

Language Arts will be done on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. We are using Alpha Omega’s LIFEPAC curriculum, Grade 7.  I like these easy to use booklets. Everything is contained in the books, including the tests (which have been pulled out of the books, pending test dates).  She will complete 10 books (units) for the year, and each Unit takes about 3-4 weeks to complete.  Although this curriculum is not the most challenging out there, my desire is that my daughter would have a great learning experience.  These seem simple enough that it would give her a sense of accomplishment, while still challenging her some.  Besides, I really needed a curriculum that was self explanatory so my daughter could work independently when I am not able to be with her.

Along with the curriculum came a copy of The Hiding Place, which my daughter will be reading when she gets to Unit 7.  Until then, we are picking out some other literature together for her to read throughout the year and write reports on.

History and Geography.

History and Geography will be done on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and we will also be using Alpha Omega’s LIFEPAC  curriculum, Grade 7.

Science.

Science will be done on Mondays, Wednesdays and occasionally on Fridays (some of the books are longer or require more experiments) using the Alpha Omega General Science for Grade 7.

Physical Education.

My daughter does a variety of activities throughout the week, such as basketball, dodgeball and walking.  I am also looking into a P.E. co-op where she will be able to participate in other group sports with children her age.

*     *     *

So there you have it.  This is my current homeschool plan.  Do you currently homeschool?  What curriculum are you using?

Tammys_here
    September 4, 2012 at 6:20 am

Looks like a good plan, Barbie! We haven’t started yet. I’m waiting on a couple things to arrive and well…our summer just isn’t over here yet. We use Sonlight, Math U See and some Apologia items. Such an exciting time!!!

September 4, 2012 at 8:45 am

Thank you Tammys_here. My son, who was home schooled with a tutor the last couple of years, used Apologia for some subjects and really enjoyed it. I love the flexibility of homeschooling and hope it works for us!

Child of God
    September 4, 2012 at 6:40 am

How exciting!! I’m sure all will work out and it will be an enjoyable year.

If you need literature books A Beka books have some amazing, Bible filled books that you can choose from.

Blessings,

September 4, 2012 at 8:44 am

Oh wow, thank you Child of God! I will check those out.

April
    September 4, 2012 at 7:33 am

Hi Barbie!
    I heard about your blog on Lea’s blog this morning (aka Cici’s Corner). So nice to meet you! Hope you have a great day!

September 4, 2012 at 8:43 am

Thank you so much April for stopping by!

Sarabell
    September 4, 2012 at 11:06 am

Wow, this is very impressive! I do plan to homeschool my children someday while working from home, but I will be working as a writer and blogger, which is what I already do now, so I already know I can afford some flexibility. I don’t know you’ll do this, GO YOU!

September 17, 2012 at 8:42 am

Thank you Sarabell. It’s been challenging, but I know that God will equip me!

Nikki
    September 5, 2012 at 1:54 pm

So very proud of you for doing what’s best for your daughter!
    I’m doing kindergarten this year for my oldest and am using a variety of curriculum I was able to get on Craigslist! All new, but at a fraction of the price, so excited! So far it’s working well. Have a little A Beka, Math U See, some theme studies from Apoligia and others. He’s loving it and I’m not drowning 😉

September 17, 2012 at 8:41 am

Sounds like a great plan Nikki.

Kim
    September 5, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I hope your homeschooling goes well!!

October 2, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Thank you Kim. I am so sorry I didn’t reply sooner! Blessings!

veronica
    September 5, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Sounds like you have picked some great resources for your homeschool year 🙂 We dont have kids (yet!) but we will be homeschooling when the time comes!

October 2, 2012 at 5:45 pm

So far so good, with a little tweaking along the way! Blessings Veronica!

jennifer
    October 2, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Hi Barbie,
    I also homeschool my children and work full time outside of the home. I understand how challenging this can be, but I want to encourage you to keep with it! I think having a schedule is very important to success, and it sounds like you have a great plan for your year. My kids are in 8th, 10th and 11th grades. I have always homeschooled them, but recently went back to work full time. My husband works from home, so they are supervised, but they are able to work very independently. I use a lot of Alpha Omega SOS (lesson plans and most grading is done for you) and I also use Teaching Textbooks for math. We usually go over things when I get home from work so I can keep up with their progress and answer any questions they might have.
    Things don’t always go the way we planned, but somehow we make it work! I really enjoyed reading your blog and I know that you and your daughter will both be blessed during this adventure.

October 2, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Jennifer, thank you so much for encouraging my heart today. You do not know how happy I was to find another full-time working homeschooling mama! Do you have a blog? I’d love to visit you!