14 In Homeschooling

Puppy Training {Adventures in Homeschooling}

What does a puppy have to do with homeschooling you might ask?  I don’t know, but since I have nothing new or exciting to report on our homeschooling adventure, I thought I would share about the newest member of our family and how I am trying to incorporate her into the area of “home economics”.

Meet Anna-Belle!

She’s a nine week old Long Haired Chihuahua.  She is the cutest thing.  But really, I did not count the cost before I said yes and now I am exhausted.  Having a new puppy in the house is like having a baby all over again.  Getting up in the middle of the night, crate training, potty training, it’s all been quite overwhelming.  And now, I find myself referring to myself as “grandma” to the pup.  Oh my!

My daughter sent me a text of the pup last week, saying it was headed to the pound because the current owner decided they didn’t want it.  I could not have this sweet thing going to the pound.  So I went into rescue mode and brought her home.  She has such a sweet personality, loves to cuddle on our laps and really is adorable.  My only complaint is my lack of sleep.  Crate training is hard.  Hopefully she’ll get the hang of it.  I am happy to report that she’s only had a couple of accidents in the house and is learning to take her business outside.

So how does puppy training incorporate into homeschooling?  I’m not exactly sure. But I do know that my daughter is learning more responsibility. She is learning to schedule feedings and potty time, and play time.  She is also learning how to share one of her prized posessions with the rest of the family.  Overall, it’s been a positive experience so far.

On a true homeschooling front, I have changed Language Arts curriculum for the final time (I promise) and we are now using Spectrum Language Arts, Grade 6.  My daughter is in the 7th grade, but I am all about review and making sure she has the basics before we move on.  I think it will work out pefectly.

Until next time!

Lea
    October 8, 2012 at 11:04 am

Oh, it must be “puppy day” in blogland today. I talked about a puppy too, but NOT mine. :o) They are so cute, but as I said in my blog, like kids, they grow up.

Hopefully by week’s end puppy will have the hang of the crate and of house training. Enjoy!

October 8, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Thanks Lea! She is getting better. No accidents today. The hardest part is the crate training. She is very attached to us and since her body temp is low, loves to be near us. But she didn’t whine near as loudly last night 🙂

learningtable
    October 8, 2012 at 1:07 pm

She looks so sweet! What a face.

October 9, 2012 at 12:57 am

I know. She’s totally pouring on the cuteness!

Donna
    October 8, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Your new puppy is adorable. Congratulations!

October 9, 2012 at 12:57 am

Thank you Donna. We are having fun with her!

Child of God
    October 8, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Hi Barbie,
    She’s adorable!!
    You can incorporate lots of learning plans from your puppy and physical education being a main one and planning ( I’m not sure what they call it in the states) being another one.

Sounds like you have a great adventure happening there.

Blessings,

October 8, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Yes, we will for sure be doing lots of walking exercises with her!

Diana
    October 9, 2012 at 3:53 am

What a cute baby you have there! My chihuahua, Abby turned 4 on Sunday. We got her when she was just a few months old. And by the second day having her home, she was 100% TRAINED! … we use puppy pads and it’s a breeze! Because I work week days and my husband can’t (medically disabled) we knew he would have days he would be in bed while I was gone. We opted for the pads because of our availability schedules in taking her outside to ‘go potty’. It was the best decision we made! Just sprayed a little training scent in the center to draw her to that spot. But we could even stop using that after a week. Now we don’t have to worry any time day or night she goes on her own. And we just have to throw away the soiled pad, and lay down a new one. Even easier than changing a diaper! No going outside with her at night, early morning, or in the cold. I hope you get through your training soon and your sleep back (Abby sleeps with us too!) and only have the fun and unconditional love to deal with. 🙂
    Diana recently posted..Good Morning Girls!

October 9, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Our pup hasn’t quite got the hang of the pads yet. We have probably confused her because we’ve been taking her outside and she’s doing great taking her business there. I really want her to learn to go on the pads too, so that when we have to leave her inside for extended periods, she won’t go in the house. I tried to sleep the pup with my daughter (because I hear they have low body temp and are very attached to people) but she licked her and kept jumping on her. Hopefully when she’s a little older she might enjoy sleeping with us! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Janet
    October 9, 2012 at 5:09 am

Oh my, what a sweetie pie! I love to play with puppies, see puppies but I am not a puppy person to keep one. My dogs from the humane society have come when they have been a bit older and they have been awesome and loyal dogs.

I believe that fits in with homeschooling wonderfully as everything can be brought into a lesson 🙂

May God bless your day!

October 9, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I said no to a puppy for a long time as I am not really a doggie person either. But she’s really growing on me! I love that I can incorporate anything that I do into homeschooling 🙂

Janet
        October 10, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I grew into being a doggie person and now my son insists we will probably never be without one(he is probably right)

Enjoy!

Ann @ Christ in the Clouds
    January 3, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I was just checking out your pages a little bit and found this post on your Chihuahua. So adorable! Is it a boy or girl? What is her/his name? We have 2 Chihuahuas. They are so loveable and sweet-tempered. Now that your puppy is a few months older, I hope the stress of training is over with. We’ve had different breeds of dogs in our family over the years, but our all-around favorite has been the Chi’s! You can see pics and the story of my two on my blog at http://christintheclouds.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html
    Blessings, Ann