Five Minute Friday: Roots

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and others for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. Just words freely flowing from my heart to yours.

Roots

“Rooted and grounded in the marvelous love of God.”

This is the tagline of my blog.  When you visit me here, I want you to experience God’s love.

My love for God began as a seed.  It was cast into the ground and scattered.  Then along came those who brought water and removed the weeds that threatened to choke the life out of me.  Over time, my roots began to sprout and they burrowed deep into the ground.  Sometimes I wanted to hide — the sun was too hot or the wind to dry.  I feared my roots were not strong enough to withstand the ever changing weather in my life.  I continue to burrow, deeper and deeper, longing for the fresh spring of water that comes from the underground.  And there I drank, cool refreshment for my roots.  They continue to grow — deeper and deeper still.  My roots are strong now, holding onto the One who gives me life.

But just when I feel my strength rising up, He comes and cuts.  This pruning is good, allowing for new growth and roots that will grow even stronger and withstand any storm.

having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude.  (Colossians 2:7)

I have been on a personal journey over the last several years to come to an understanding of God’s love. My prayer is that I would continually abide in Him so that my roots would go deep and I would be forever anchored in His love.

Five Minute Friday

1. Alia Joy says:

Never been a fan of the pruning but in retrospect I always see the gentle ruthlessness with which HE maintains my growth. So glad for your words this week as it’s been a pruning time in my life in many ways. Such grace to hear right now.
    Alia Joy recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Roots

• Barbie says:

Oh yes, the “gentle ruthlessness” of His pruning. So painful at times, yet so needed. Have a beautiful weekend Alia Joy!

2. Kris says:

The pruning is hard, isn’t it, my friend? But so good–He is the perfect gardener who tends to us, His precious shoots with a care and love like no other. Loved this Barbie, love your heart for Him.
    Kris recently posted..Roots

3. Barbie, I noticed on Twitter this morning that you are a beginning homeschool. This is my first year too! I also noticed you have changed science curriculum. I would love to know your thoughts as we haven’t settled on a science curriculum that we love yet. I am so glad your roots run deep…they touch so many others.
    Laura @ Pruning Princesses recently posted..What if she rejects Jesus?

4. denise says:

Amen, that is my hearts prayer also.
    denise recently posted..Day9-Praying For My Husband

5. Mary says:

This is lovely…just beautiful. I am speechless.
    Mary recently posted..5 minute Friday…

6. Nataline says:

“But just when I feel my strength rising up, He comes and cuts”. This is so powerful and so true. Great reminder to expect the pruning and know it leads to our beauty as His children, not just pain.
    Nataline recently posted..Dig deeper

7. Love this!! So beautiful how God grows our love for Him. BTW love the name of your blog!!

8. Nikki says:

It’s funny, Barbie. When I saw the word prompt this week, I thought of your tagline!!

beautiful heart…I’m striving with you. Contemplating His love for me never gets old…
    Nikki recently posted..ROOTS ~ Five Minute Friday

9. Liz says:

Love your words today. I’ve been on somewhat of a journey learning about God’s love over the last few years – such freedom I’ve been finding! Thank you for sharing. Blessings!

10. Missy says:

I greatly admire your desire to continually abide in Him. And oh, that we would continue to grow stronger and stronger as we do! Beautiful words, Barbie.
    Missy recently posted..Best Lines of the Week

11. Susan Evans says:

Pruning always goes hand-in-hand with growth and being able to bear more fruit. I just wish it wasn’t so painful…
    Susan Evans recently posted..Lament is Worship

12. oh, pruning is never fun, but He prunes only those He is preparing for greater growth…keep sinking your roots in Him…I see His beauty blooming in you, Barbie 🙂
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..Five Minute Fridays: Root

13. Marlen says:

Thanks for visiting my blog. Beautifully written post =)

14. Oh the deep, deep love of God that will never let us go…anchored in His love. Beautiful Barbie!!

15. Debbie says:

Abiding in Him is the key Barbie! I’ve learned that over the years through many a trial. Life has a way of trying to knock us down. But if we plant deep roots in Him, we can stand strong. It’s not our strength but His. Take it from someone who has experienced many changes in life. My hope is in Him.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Roots

16. He is such a good gardener, isn’t he? I love what he teaches me about himself through his creation.
    Becky Neville recently posted..The Object of My Boast

17. Lea says:

Another lovely post! It’s always so interesting to see the various paths that everyone takes on these “one words.”

Yes, pruning is generally painful but the results are so worth it.

Hoping you are having a wonderful weekend! Hugs!
    Lea recently posted..Friday Fragments