In God Alone

In just a couple of days, we will be casting our vote in the Presidential election.  My heart has been broken as I’ve heard and seen all of the dishonor concerning the candidates and the issues surrounding this election.  Not only are people dishonoring the men who have been appointed for such a time as this, but they are dishonoring one another with their constant bashing back and forth of the issues.  We must remember to bless with our words and not curse.

Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips.
(Psalm 141:3)

I have been intentional in taking this election before the Lord in prayer, both corporately and privately. This one has not been easy, and I can honestly say that my own decision has not come without a struggle. I have wrestled with God.  But I have finally come to a place of peace and rest now, because I believe God’s hand is upon our nation, and that His plans will prevail.

Friends, we must call on the wisdom and guidance of the Lord to direct our hearts in the voting process.  We must pray and ask God to open our eyes and show us the man that He has chosen to lead this nation for this season.  Pray and ask Him to show you the man who will be the most pliable in His hands.

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.  (James 1:5)

I believe that every Christian has a responsibility to vote.  Your decision is between you and God.  The truth of the matter is that our hope is not in a man.  Our hope is in God, and in Him alone.  I know that the outcome of this election will have lasting effects on this nation, our economy and we as a people.

The question is, “Do you trust God enough to vote your conscious and leave the rest up to Him?”

Come Tuesday, I pray that you will vote (if you haven’t already).  Please understand that despite what you might think, your vote does matter.  Some would say that there isn’t much choice in either candidate. Some ask how they can morally side with either one.  I know that God is ultimately in control.  I believe that God can change the heart of any man, and that He can use either of these men to accomplish His will.  Our responsibility is to vote, and to continue to pray and intercede for these men, our governmental leaders, and all of those in authority.  No matter the outcome, we must continue to be a nation that blesses so that we in turn will be blessed.

Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord,
the people he chose for his inheritance.
From heaven the Lord looks down
and sees all mankind;
from his dwelling place he watches
all who live on earth—
he who forms the hearts of all,
who considers everything they do.

No king is saved by the size of his army;
no warrior escapes by his great strength.
A horse is a vain hope for deliverance;
despite all its great strength it cannot save.
But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him,
on those whose hope is in his unfailing love,
to deliver them from death
and keep them alive in famine.

We wait in hope for the Lord;
he is our help and our shield.
In him our hearts rejoice,
for we trust in his holy name.
May your unfailing love be with us, Lord,
even as we put our hope in you.
(Psalm 33:12-22)

As a people we must also continue to pray that God would have mercy on us, forgiving us for the things we’ve allowed, so that righteousness would once again rule and reign in our hearts. Over the next couple of days, will you commit to intercede with me on behalf of our nation?  We must continue to fix our eyes on Jesus and put our faith and our trust in Him alone.

(photo credit)

1. Diana says:

There is not one word I can say to add any more to what you have already written. Except — AMEN! Well said, Barbie! May God’s Words be the guide our country goes by. xoxo
    Diana recently posted..Just getting things done

2. Ditto on what Diana said! We do need to keep the guard on our own mouths, just as you pointed out. So many good, solid truths. Thank you for spelling it out so well and sharing.
    April {ThoughtfulEscapes.com} recently posted..Giving Thanks [5]

3. Linda says:

Barbie…you said this so well! AND I love the verses you posted with it.
    May God be glorified…and may His will be done on Tuesday!
    Love, Linda
    Linda recently posted..Do You Get Bored with Blogging?

4. SarahCate says:

What a wonderful post! You are so right- “Our hope is in God and Him alone”.

5. I completely agree. I had been afraid of this election, but I do trust that God is in control no matter who sits in the White House.
    Sam @ Sam’s Noggin recently posted..Choice

6. “I believe that every Christian has a responsibility to vote”
    Agreed. We are most definitely in this world and not of it, and part of being in it is, or at least should be, participating to whatever degree we are able, to make an impact for good on the world around us, especially in our own communities, our own contries.

Praying along with you, for our country, for our leaders, and for His people (((hugs)))
    ali @ an ordinary mom recently posted..SORRY

7. Jennifer {StudioJRU} says:

Praying too, Barbie! Well said!

8. Child of God says:

Hi Barbie,
    You know I am not American and therefore not part of the voting process but I have been very active in praying for your nation and this up coming election. It grieves my heart knowing the options but God has soothed me with the thought of Nebuchadnezzar and how God used him to bring about His glory and eventually changed the heart of this king.

I agree with you, God is in control of all situations and I agree that if you go to the voting polls with God first then the vote made will be the one God wants. He can take a very nasty situation and use it for His glory, just look at the cross. 🙂 How horrible the disciples must have felt at that moment.

Praying and praying for this election.
    Child of God recently posted..Update on Wayne

9. Well said, Barbie. When I sat down to vote last week it was obvious which presidential candidate I had to choose. I could barely sit and watch 60 Minutes last night with Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell. I’ve never felt more concerned about our nation than I do today. That’s likely because I have a much deeper relationship with Christ and realize the implications of my vote on rather divisive issues and people. I can’t wait for Wednesday.

10. Kim says:

Beautifully said, Barbie. I have been praying in a similar vein, and we have been praying for our country in my women’s small group study.
    Thanks for your encouraging words!
    Kim recently posted..The B.E.A.G.L.E. Theory of Life

11. Debbie says:

Yes, may we all vote. That’s so important and each vote counts. This election seems so very close. But regardless of who wins, we also must pray for our elected officials.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..Thankful for Special Days

12. Lea says:

Beautifully written Barbie! And, thank goodness, regardless of the outcome of this election, God will still be on His throne tomorrow and forever. I’ve been praying for this election for weeks and weeks and I trust Him for the outcome.
    Lea recently posted..Miscellany Monday

13. Judith says:

Thank you for such a thoughtful post.
    Judith recently posted..Savior, More Than Life to Me: WholeHearted Home Wednesdays LINKUP #16