17 In Faith

Monday Morning Meditations: {Luke 2:34-35}

Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: “…And a sword will pierce your own soul too.”
(Luke 2:34a, 35b)

Mary, when you held your Son for the first time, were you aware of the grief that would one day pierce your soul?

Did you know that you would have to return Him to His Father so soon?

Did you understand that your precious child would be called upon to give His life as a ransom for many?

Were you prepared to endure such heartache, such grief?

How were you able to let go?  How long did it take before you felt whole again?  Or did you ever?

Do your arms still ache to hold your Son?

Father God, this week my heart is broken over the loss of so many young lives, and the heroes who tried desperately to save them.  My mind immediately goes to the mamas, the ones whose hearts have been pierced, whose souls have been crushed, whose cries of anguish I cannot fathom.

Lord, they did not know what was coming.  How could they?  Such young lives, such innocent ones, those who stood on the edge of time, with dreams, hopes and promises yet to be fulfilled.  Yet their lives were taken, not by their Heavenly Father, but by one whose life was lived in darkness, void of hope, void of peace, without Christ.

Father will you comfort the grieving today.  Will you wrap your arms tightly around them, as they shake and shudder under the weight of what was lost.  Will you breath hope into their hearts, the kind of hope that pierces the darkness that threatens to overtake them?. Will you let them know, Father, that it will be okay?

My friends, this week, a sword has pierced our souls.  We may never be the same.  But one thing is certain, this lost and dying world is in need of a Savior.  Father, You sent Your son, as a ransom for many.  You sent Your Son to save that which is lost, that which is dying. Father, would you reveal the light of Jesus to all of humanity?

You are the light.  In You, there is no darkness.

Linking up with my new friend Jane today, and continuing to pray for the victims of the Sandy Hook shootings.

USE this for BLOG

Christina
    December 17, 2012 at 5:53 am

The sermon in church yesterday was on this passage. A reminder that the gospel comes to us as a result of trauma and that God knows sorrow and pain. May our grief draw us to Christ. Beautiful words today, Barbie!

December 17, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Thanks for stopping by Christina.

Deb
    December 17, 2012 at 7:34 am

Our daughter, son (in-law) and GRAND-sons are in Uganda at this time preparing to bring our new GRAND-daughter home to America. My heart and arms long to hold them and love them. Prayers, please that God will keep them safe. I cannot even begin to imagine the grief these parents, GRANDparents, aunts, uncles, friends, community are going thru…look how it’s affected this entire country!!
    Deb recently posted..CHRISTmas Carols!!!

December 17, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I’m so excited about your new granddaughter. Prayers for their safe return are going up!

Mia
    December 17, 2012 at 8:01 am

Hi Barbie
    Oh, I don’t think we woukd ever know the grief Mary went through. What I find so precious is how our Lord Jesus looked after His mama when He was angling on the cross by giving her to John as his mom.
    Thank you for your compassion, dear friend.
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..Simeon’s Truth

December 17, 2012 at 2:56 pm

That is so true. Jesus knew. Oh how my heart still grieves over this tragedy. I know God will bring healing in time.

Mia
    December 17, 2012 at 8:01 am

Sorry, Barbie, not angling but hanging!
    Mia recently posted..Simeon’s Truth

Leslie Maddox
    December 17, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I’ve also been devastated for the moms and dads that are experiencing such a profound loss. I’ve been praying Psalm 34:18 for them. We’ll never be the same.

December 17, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I posted that scripture yesterday on my scripture link up. My prayer is that His nearness would be felt, evident to all.

denise
    December 17, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Well said.
    denise recently posted..Monday Morning Meditation-Luke 2:34,35

December 17, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Thank you Denise!

Jane Graham
    December 17, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Barbie, your words always bless me. Thank you for allowing your writing to reflect your tender heart of prayer. Our world needs more voices like yours!
    Jane Graham recently posted..Monday Morning Meditation: Luke 2:34a, 35b

December 17, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Thank you Jane. I am thankful I found you in blogland. You have been a blessing to me as well.

Dolly@Soulstops
    December 17, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Praying with you, Barbie, for all the grieving families of Sandy Hook…if I don’t “see” you next week, wishing you and yours a very blessed Christmas.
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..Alphabet of Thanks Series: "F"aithfully Present

December 17, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Thank you my friend. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Jen
    December 18, 2012 at 7:31 am

Yes Lord, we petition the heavens for your grace and mercy over this situation! We ask that you send The Comforter, the Holy Spirit, to dwell in each heart and each home! We ask that you turn hearts to you as a result of this tragedy. And that you become their refuge & place of peace when comprehension and understanding of all this becomes too much…. Praying with you friend. ~ jen
    Jen recently posted..LINK-Up. UNITE Christmas.

December 20, 2012 at 10:04 pm