9 In Faith

Preparing My Heart For Christ – Expectancy

This is the first of a three part series of Preparing My Heart for Christ. Today, I want to talk about expectancy.

But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me.  (Micah 7:7)

I can only imagine how Mary must have felt once the Angel left her, after proclaiming that she had been chosen by God to bear and birth the Christ Child — God in flesh.  As any mother-to-be would, Mary began a journey of expectancy, one of waiting with a full heart to receive the promised child.

Expectancyto be filled with anticipation, eagerness and excitement.

Even though Mary was confused and disturbed at the Angel’s announcement, she trusted the Lord, and choose to live in faith and not fear.  She was amazed of what the Lord had done for her and was filled with great excitement about what was going to take place.  When Mary visited her relative, Elizabeth, her expectant heart and great faith were evident.

“You are blessed because you believed that the Lord would do what he said.” (Luke 1:45)

Mary’s response to what she was feeling was Mary’s Song, found in Luke 1:46-55.

This week as I reflect on the birth of Christ, I have had many things crowd my emotions.  I have had to make a choice to look forward with expectancy to what I cannot yet see, knowing that God has great plans for me.  I have had to fix my eyes on Jesus, the one who came, and the One who continually comes.  I have had to open my mouth and sing, of what He’s already done, and remind myself of the promises He has yet to fulfill.

Today, I am choosing to wait with an expectant heart for Christ, the One who comes to me afresh and anew, each and every day.  And so I wait with a heart filled with anticipation of what He will do, a heart eager to see His will accomplished, and a heart filled with excitement that I get to be a part of His wonderful plan.

Now it’s your turn.  Will you link up a post on how you are expectantly preparing your heart for Christ? Or simply share in the comments below.

(Mary’s song photo credit)

USE this for BLOG“/>

jean wise
    December 4, 2012 at 1:35 am

I love your intentional decision to choose. So often we left our emotions or the world dictates our reaction to something. Savor the anticipation is a wonderful gift of Advent and one I am embracing also. Great post!
    jean wise recently posted..Advent – The Gift of Waiting

Denise
    December 4, 2012 at 2:05 am

Great post Barbie! I found a formula I am motivated to live by, and it helps me keep the attitude that God is going to do great things in my life! HOPE + FAITH = AN EXPECTANT HEART. So I hope, and I believe—-and I wait expectantly. Praise God for new life, and praise Him for all that He has in store for me!

Blessings and love,
    Denise

Charissa Steyn
    December 4, 2012 at 3:05 am

i also wrote a similar post about Mary’s expectant heart and willingness to say YES to God’s adventure for her, instead of cower in fear! Oh I want to be like her!!
    Charissa Steyn recently posted..You Were Made For This!

Debbie
    December 4, 2012 at 4:37 am

I love that you are looking forward with expectancy. That takes trust and I think you and I are learning that through the uncertain times in our lives Barbie.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie

PS. I love that first image!
    Debbie recently posted..The Blessings of the Christmas Season

Wendy
    December 4, 2012 at 5:54 am

I have had to fix my eyes on Jesus, the one who came, and the One who continually comes. <—oh this friend. Just this…today and every day. Love that we are preparing our hearts together in anticipation for all He has in store for us. Love you much my sweet friend. Blessings.
    Wendy recently posted..Lessons from Santa – Part 1 of 3

Child of God
    December 4, 2012 at 7:02 am

So often I have wondered how Mary felt when the angel of the Lord came upon her. The joy she must have felt and the excitement that overruled fear and abandonment.

Jesus, the lover of my soul! I too look expectantly towards Him.

Blessings,
    Child of God recently posted..Warrior God

Mary @ Woman to Woman
    December 4, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I love that we can know with a real, for-a-fact expectation that Jesus will come afresh and anew to us each and every day. That makes every day worth it! Thanks for a wonderful post. Blessings to you!
    Mary @ Woman to Woman recently posted..When Trusting God Is Hard

Ashley Ditto
    December 4, 2012 at 7:15 pm

So glad you are doing this, I really needed a refreshment in my spirit. Bless you!
    Ashley Ditto recently posted..A Goodbye, For Now.

Judith
    December 4, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Thanks so much for the linkup.

Your post really blessed me too especially since I can relate to the emotional week you have had as that is exactly where I have been this past week. God is good!!
    Judith recently posted..Christmas Christ Child