13 In Faith

Preparing My Heart For Christ: {Joy}

This is the second of a three part series of Preparing My Heart for Christ. Today, I want to talk about joy.

Joy to the world, the Lord is come!
Let earth receive her King;
Let every heart prepare Him room,
And Heaven and nature sing,
And Heaven and nature sing,
And Heaven, and Heaven, and nature sing.

This is one of my favorite songs to sing at Christmas.  Every time I sing it, I can’t help but smile, no matter what is happening in the world around me, or in my own life.  This song makes me feel happy, but it also causes me to stop and reflect on the joy that is in Jesus.  This song is a proclamation to the world that we can rejoice, right along with Heaven, because Christ has come to earth!

But what happens when I don’t “feel the joy”?  Can I still have joy, even when it seems so far from my reach?  Yes!

Happiness is that warm and fuzzy feeling I get when I eat ice cream.  It is the light that shines through my eyes when I gaze into the warmth of the sun.  It is the comfort I feel when I wrap myself up tight in a warm blanket.

But happiness does not last.  It is fleeting.  It can change in a moment.

Joy, on the other hand is everlasting, unending, eternal.

Joy is what I have been reaching for this week, and have found, because I chose to believe it was within my reach.

Joy is the provision of food for a son’s party from family and friends when finances were lacking.
Joy is the unexpected extension of unemployment benefits that had ran dry.  He is faithful!
Joy is the gift of a Christmas tree, when we had not the money to buy one.  Oh how He loves me!

I want to be anchored in joy.  To do this, I remind myself that Jesus is above all the greatest gift I’ve ever been given.  He is my joy.  I want Him to be enough.  Am I there yet?  Not quite.  I still long for fulfillment from worldly pleasures, but I am headed in the right direction.

Joy to the world, the Lord is come!

I want to offer this joy eternal to the world around me.

And so I rejoice, even in my lack.  And I will tell the world of the good news of great joy that is His coming.

And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.  (Luke 2:10)

How about you my friends?  How are you preparing your heart for Christ with joy today?  I’d love to hear in the comments below, or feel free to link up a post.

USE this for BLOG

Helen Tisdale
    December 10, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Barbie, you just get better and better, girl! Love this! Thankyoumy friend! I am so ready to prepare myself!

December 12, 2012 at 8:21 pm

You are too kind Helen! I appreciate your support and friendship!

Mia
    December 10, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Hi Barbie Friend
    Thank you …. this is such a deep, spiritual inner experience that I sometimes find it hard to harness something so beautiful with something concrete like words!! Yet, I am going to try. Barbie, I honestly believe that we all need to look what hinders our hearts to fully receive Him. Thank you for this linky place that makes me think long and hard!
    Hugs XX
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..Cinnamon, The Fragrance of Love and Peace

December 12, 2012 at 8:23 pm

That is so true Mia! For ask long as there are other lovers crowding the space in my heart, I cannot fully receive Him. I am going to take some time this week to ask Him what may be hindering my heart from drawing closer. You’re a true friend!

Denise
    December 11, 2012 at 1:09 am

We can’t let the gift of His joy be wasted even when we feel like our lives are crumbling around us; we can find joy in our eternal relationship with our Creator! Our joy is one of the most powerful weapons we have against the enemy; it’s a great source of strength that God has given us. Love this post Barbie and the joy it brings!

Blessings and hugs,
    Denise
    Denise recently posted..Be Broken

December 12, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Thank you Denise. You are so right in that joy is my greatest weapon and my source of strength during the hard time.

Donna
    December 11, 2012 at 3:06 am

To prepare our hearts we take the focus off of our hearts and put it on His. Beautiful post, Barbie. Thank you.
    Donna recently posted..Have You Any Room for Jesus?

December 12, 2012 at 8:31 pm

You’re welcome Donna!

Christina
    December 11, 2012 at 6:54 am

“Joy is the cry from deep within that says, “it is well with my soul”, when I feel like I’m crumbling.” Amen, Barbie. And that joy is our strength. Thanks for this!
    Christina recently posted..2,000 and Counting

Child of God
    December 11, 2012 at 6:55 am

Oh the Joy of the LORD! I love that song, thanks for sharing it and giving me a good reminder of His Joy. 🙂

Happiness does not last, it is a feeling that is fleeting but joy, now that is a totally different thing. Joy is a choice. I saw this choice in action when I watched Jordan’s celebration of life service. I saw the joy on his mom and dad’s face when they talked about where their son is, in heaven with Jesus. They chose joy over sadness. Yes, they do feel sadness but it doesn’t last for long because they know their son is pain free and living in the physical presence of Jesus.

Blessings sister
    Child of God recently posted..Celebration of Jesus in Jordan

Nancy, aka Mrs A
    December 11, 2012 at 10:06 am

Lovely! He is our Joy! He is our Strength! No matter what we are going through, no matter what is going on in the world, His joy is constant! He is constant.

Jumping over from Meet and Greet 🙂 God bless you, Barbie!
    Nancy, aka Mrs A recently posted..Meet and Greet Monday!

Jacqui
    December 11, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Barbie, I pondered joy in my last post! We always seem to be on the same train of thought! 🙂 Anyway, I totally agree with you that joy goes beyond what we feel. And I am seeking to be anchored in joy just as well. Praying God’s blessing on you today. <3
    Jacqui recently posted..Joy in the Manger Scene

Diana Denis
    December 19, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I was singing this song today…it’s one of my favs too! Rejoicing with you my friend.
    Diana Denis recently posted..EVERY NEED MET