37 In My 5 Minute Fridays

Five Minute Friday: Afraid

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and others for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. Just words freely flowing from my heart to yours.

Afraid

When I was a little girl, I was afraid of the dark.  Laying in my bed at night, my mind gave way to all sorts of weird imaginations.  I would see things that would cause me to hide under the covers, and hear things that would leave me trembling, helpless and afraid to move.

But then I met Jesus, and He broke through the darkness with His marvelous light.  I was no longer afraid to go to bed at night.  My mind never wandered to those paralyzing places of fear, and the only voice I heard was that of the still, small voice of the Lord telling me to not be afraid.

At times I find myself surrounded my darkness — hard circumstances, loss of a loved one, things my mind cannot understand.  But He is still there, bringing His light into that which seeks to overtake me. For He is the light of the world.  Darkness is as light to Him.  I do not have to be afraid because His light shines in the darkness and I know that everything will be okay.

This is the message we heard from Jesus and now declare to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all.  (1 John 1:5 NLT)

Linking up with Lisa-Jo for the 5 Minute Friday.  Join me?

Five Minute Friday

Amy
    January 31, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Thank you for sharing your heart & reminding us that it is His light that breaks through the darkness.
    Amy recently posted..What are you afraid of?

February 2, 2013 at 9:08 am

AMEN! Thank you for stopping by the blog!

Julie Jordan Scott
    January 31, 2013 at 9:42 pm

I must confess sometimes I am still afraid of the dark. Even after I have loved Jesus with my whole heart since I was eight years old! Then I feel ashamed for being afraid of the dark and get all wrapped up in being afraid of being ashamed and being afraid of anyone finding out I am ashamed of being afraid. Yes, I know… relentless cycle.

I am so grateful you brought up this precise topic.. the fear of the dark.
    Sounds silly now, reading my words. :~)
    Julie Jordan Scott recently posted..#FiveMinuteFriday: Afraid

February 2, 2013 at 9:10 am

Oh I get this! Most often when I fear, I feel guilty for feeling that way and I too get all caught up in the “feeling of fear”. So thankful for a God who knows and understands our human weaknesses. Have a beautiful weekend!

Alia Joy
    January 31, 2013 at 9:45 pm

My son went through a very hard time when he would have the worst dreams and nightmares and his thoughts would just run to all kinds of scary things. He didn’t want us to turn off the lights and he would constantly get up terrified by the thought that we were all going to die or some other horrific catastrophe. And I could never 100% promise him that nothing bad was ever going to happen but I could pray over him and help him to see that God brings light into darkness, even the hardest scariest times. He sleeps like a baby now. A huge lumbering, snoring, man boy baby.. but still. He has found peace in that. This reminded me of that. A beautiful reminder, friend. Thank you.
    Alia Joy recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Afraid

February 2, 2013 at 9:11 am

I have found in those dark places of fear that all I have to do is but whisper the Name of Jesus, and the darkness flees. What power in prayer and in His Name! Have a lovely weekend!

Michele-Lyn
    January 31, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Barbie,

I love His truth about the light! And I remember those terrors of the night. He sets us free ! He surrounds us as a shield with His favor. I am grateful. Love you!
    Michele-Lyn recently posted..AFRAID [Five Minute Friday]

February 2, 2013 at 9:11 am

So thankful Michele-Lyn! He is my Rock, my Fortress! Have a beautiful weekend.

Loni
    January 31, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Thank you for writing so beautifully and sharing your heart!
    Loni recently posted..Five Minute Friday: AFRAID (Christians have Panic Attacks)

February 2, 2013 at 9:13 am

Thank you Loni! Enjoy your weekend.

Lizzy
    February 1, 2013 at 2:32 am

‘But He is still there, bringing His light into that which seeks to overtake me.’
    Beautiful, soul lifting words. Thank you 🙂
    Lizzy recently posted..Wings On My Back

February 2, 2013 at 9:17 am

Thank you Lizzy, for stopping by. Praying you have a beautiful weekend!

Mia
    February 1, 2013 at 3:43 am

Hi Barbie
    Yes, dear one, what a glorious day when our Lord Jesus’ comfort breaks though the darkness of our fears. And He truly expells all fears for there is no fear in love!
    Much love
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..A Woman in a Closet

February 2, 2013 at 9:18 am

Yes and AMEN! Have a beautiful weekend my friend.

Jedidja
    February 1, 2013 at 4:42 am

Thank you for this post. Next week I will also write a blog about be afraid and Jesus. I like it and you helps me. Sometimes I am axious. I know Jesus is with me but …
    Jedidja recently posted..Heer, en hij dan?

February 2, 2013 at 9:18 am

Thank you Jedidja! I am really enjoying getting to know you.

Laura @ Pruning Princesses
    February 1, 2013 at 4:45 am

I love that even as a child, Jesus gave you testimony of his love by taking away the noises so you only heard his voice. Awesome.
    Laura @ Pruning Princesses recently posted..What to say when she is afraid…

February 2, 2013 at 9:20 am

He is so amazing, isn’t He! Have a lovely weekend!

Jennifer @purplebuoy
    February 1, 2013 at 5:31 am

This is awesome! God’s light does shine and break the darkness. Thank you for writing and be blessed:)

February 2, 2013 at 9:21 am

Thank you Jennifer!

Stefanie Brown
    February 1, 2013 at 5:49 am

Our stories are so similar. I’m confident that WHEN we are given the opportunity to sit face to face, sharing and living life together, we’ll feel as though we’ve known each other for years.

You words always inspire me.
    Stefanie Brown recently posted..Five Minute Friday ~ Afraid…

February 2, 2013 at 9:22 am

Oh you give me chills just thinking about our face-to-face conversation. I don’t know when or where, but Lord let it be!

Jennifer peterson
    February 1, 2013 at 6:59 am

Love this…. He brings His light in what seems to want to overtake me. AWWW beautiful words!! Love you
    Jennifer peterson recently posted..Afraid

February 2, 2013 at 9:22 am

I like the thought of drowning in His light!

Liz
    February 1, 2013 at 8:35 am

Thank you, Barbie. You’ve inspired me to check out the five-minute Friday action. And you’ve reminded me that in the midst of fears, trust in God is always bigger and stronger than what life throws at us.

Traci Michele
    February 1, 2013 at 10:30 am

I LOVE THIS! Light in HIM! amen.

Thank you! Visiting from FMF. Hope you’ll visit mine @ordinary inspirations http://www.ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com
    Traci Michele recently posted..Afraid: 5 Minute Friday

February 2, 2013 at 9:22 am

Have a blessed weekend Traci!

Melody
    February 1, 2013 at 10:59 am

Barbie….so good to reconnect with you again over here. I love your 5 minute piece today. I am reminded of why I love to read your blog when I’m reading blogs. Hope you are doing great. I look forward to reading more. Saw you are homeschooling….hope that’s going well. I have a friend who posts a lot about Home Schooling on my sidebar you may want to check out. Soli Deo Gloria. She has been at it for a while. Take care!
    Melody recently posted..Bible Study Thoughts and Resources

February 2, 2013 at 9:23 am

Melody! Thank you for leaving a comment so I could too reconnect with you. I am heading over to your place. Have a beautiful weekend!

Missy
    February 1, 2013 at 11:31 am

Barbie, this beautiful reminder brought the song “Marvelous Light” to mind. I find myself running into His Marvelous light anytime my fear threatens to swoop in.
    Missy recently posted..Five Minute Friday – Afraid

February 2, 2013 at 9:24 am

His light surrounds us, and we need not be afraid. Have a lovely weekend, Missy!

Rebekah
    February 1, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Good post Barbie! Hi from Five Minute Friday 🙂 Have a blessed weekend.
    Rebekah recently posted..Always Believe in Miracles – Five Minute Friday

February 2, 2013 at 9:27 am

Thank you Rebekah! Enjoy your weekend!

charis
    February 1, 2013 at 8:11 pm

me too barbie! i am so thankful He is the light in my darkness. beautiful post. i love the picture you added as well – goes great with the topic.
    charis recently posted..when i am afraid

February 2, 2013 at 9:27 am

Have a lovely weekend Charis!

Mel
    February 1, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Love that verse so much…what a great perspective that He is always the Light, even when we can’t see. Thank you for sharing! Blessings. 🙂
    Mel recently posted..Five-Minute Friday: Afraid

February 2, 2013 at 9:28 am

Thanks for stopping by Mel! Have a lovely weekend.