20 In My 5 Minute Fridays

Five Minute Friday: Dive

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and others for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. Just words freely flowing from my heart to yours.

Dive

When I was a child, I loved to swim.  I would spend hours in the backyard in our above-ground pool. There was something about the water that was calming, as I lay there on my back, looking up to the sky, I knew that I was safe.  After all, who could sink in 5 feet of water?  My most favorite moments were when it was just me, and the pool, and the sound of the water as it brushed against my skin.  I always left refreshed and renewed.

Sometimes in life we have to just dive right in.  There are times when we will prefer to stand on the shore, gazing across the vast expanse of water that lies in front of us.  “If I dive in, will I sink?  Or will I come up to the surface and swim.?”  To dive in is about risk.  We leap, we jump, we lunge forward, not really knowing whether we will sink or swim.

Here I stand on the edge, the cool water crashing over the rocks below.  I can’t see below the surface, but I choose to trust.  Will you come with me?  Dive right in!  I promise it will be okay.

*I am reminded of a portion of Steven Curtis Chapman’s song, “Dive“:

I’m diving in I’m going deep in over my head I want to be
Caught in the rush lost in the flow in over my head I want to go
The river’s deep the river’s wide the river’s water is alive
So sink or swim I’m diving in

Five Minute Friday

Alia Joy
    January 10, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Hey Barbie, I missed you at the #FMFParty tonight but I’m so glad to see your linky here. I’ve missed you, friend. I’m so glad to start this year off with such an amazing community of inspiring, beautiful friends dreaming big and taking that leap for Him. Love you.
    Alia Joy recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Dive

January 11, 2013 at 12:12 am

Hi my friend! It’s hard for me to join the party every week. I still technically at work, and not home until about 9:30 or 10PM East Coast Time. I missed you all so much! Thanks for being such a wonderful friend!

~Karrilee~
    January 10, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Love this! I immediately heard this song in my mind as well! I’m Diving In right along with you!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..Five Minute Friday – DIVE

January 11, 2013 at 12:11 am

I’m still singing the song! Have a beautiful weekend!

Helen Tisdale
    January 10, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Barbie! Love this on “Diving!” You are so right! I am really trying in this new year God has blessed us to see;to dive in! I tried so carefully to pace myself,be sure I was in sync with God & what He wants me to do this year, new methods, etc. But tonight I am feeling very overwhelmed! Oh my goodness, I read your comment today, & you are doing so much! At home, work, church! You are really balancing life!

January 11, 2013 at 12:11 am

Oh Helen, you should stop by for a visit and see how out of balance I really am. It’s so hard to really get everything done that I need to do. I probably spend way too much here, in the blog world, but oh you and so many others are breaths of fresh air to me.

Mia
    January 11, 2013 at 3:04 am

Hi dear Barbie
    That first dive usually is the most frightening, but afterwards as we experience His love, it seems the most natural thing to do!
    Hugs to you XX
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..The Joy of His Presence

Beth @ My Destiny
    January 11, 2013 at 3:39 am

What a great idea to add those lyrics! Love it! Hey, another thing we have in common. My parents had a pool and I loved just being in the water by myself too. I had a lot of great naps out there on floats (God surely protected me) and enjoyed watching the sky too.

Have a wonderful Friday Barbie!

Love,
    Beth
    Beth @ My Destiny recently posted..The Valley of Why

HopeUnbroken
    January 11, 2013 at 3:56 am

hi, Barbie!
    love this post. it IS all about the risk, isn’t it? being willing to jump in. that’s what struck me this day, too.
    great thoughts!
    and, by the way, love your word for the year. so much contained in that word; i’ll look forward to seeing how it plays out in your life through the year.
    blessings,
    steph
    HopeUnbroken recently posted..dive–a five-minute friday post

Jennifer peterson
    January 11, 2013 at 7:23 am

Thank you for this encouragement Barbie I needed to hear this:)
    Jennifer peterson recently posted..Dive…

veronca
    January 11, 2013 at 7:41 am

That is one of my favorite songs – I can remember driving with the windows down on a warm summer evening on my way to teach VBS at my church and playing this song and singing at the top of my lungs 🙂 I have been a swimmer my whole life, so “diving in” has special meaning to me! Happy Friday 🙂
    veronca recently posted..Adventures in the Basement: Decisions, Decisions

Nikki
    January 11, 2013 at 9:21 am

We are so kindred, that song is where my heart led me, too!

and I don’t like to get my hair wet…not because I’m obsessed of my hair, I just have sensory issues 😉
    so this hits me hard….the submission of giving Him my all. denying myself…my issues. for His glory.

worth it. I’m with you friend! The day is drenched in grace and I’m going swimming! let’s dive!

Missy
    January 11, 2013 at 10:50 am

“To dive in is about risk.” – that line just speaks right into my own diving right now. Thank you for a lovely post!
    Missy recently posted..Five Minute Friday – Dive

Delonna @ Chick Flick Diva
    January 11, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Cool post – and love the song choice 🙂

tracie stier-johnson
    January 12, 2013 at 3:40 am

standing on the edge, ready to dive in … beautiful words barbie, thank you! and i love love that song from steven curtis chapman! blessings to you today!
    tracie stier-johnson recently posted..teacher gift :: note folio

Debbie
    January 12, 2013 at 5:59 am

I love your post on dive. I will have to listen to the song as I don’t know that I’ve heard it yet.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..Five Minute Friday ~ Dive

Debbie
    January 12, 2013 at 6:02 am

I just listened to the Steven Curtis Chapman song and I realized I’ve heard it many times on KLOVE radio. But I loved it and listened again more closely to the words.
    Debbie recently posted..Five Minute Friday ~ Dive

Rosann
    January 12, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Yes….I’m diving right in to trust God’s hand in my life! Loved this, Barbie. 🙂
    Rosann recently posted..What’s Important in God’s Eyes?

Sophia
    January 12, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Diving, for a person who cannot swim is scary. It’s hard to take the leap. I am so glad that God is there to catch me.

Sophia
    Sophia recently posted..Five Minute Friday ~ Dive

Marlen
    January 15, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Thanks for visiting my blog! Love SCC’s song, Dive!!
    Marlen recently posted..Dive – Five Minute Friday