68 In Faith

Simply in 2013

For the last two years, I’ve chosen a One Word focus.  Instead of making a bunch of resolutions about things that I desire to accomplish this year, and falling short, I instead put my focus on a God breathed word, one that I feel is from the heart of God, just for me.  Then, I partner with the Holy Spirit as He enables me to walk it out.  It hasn’t always been perfect, but I’ve learned so much along the way as I’ve set my mind and heart to pursue Him intentionally.

In 2011, my One Word was Constant.  That year I purposed in my heart to remain constant in my faith, despite the trials and struggles my family had faced that year, and the year prior.  My faith grew leaps and bounds and I continued to stand firm on Jesus, my Solid Rock and my Fortress.

In 2012, my focus was Pursue.  My desire was to pursue God wholeheartedly, pursue deeper relationships with others, and pursue a healthy lifestyle.  Overall, I think I did pretty well. However, pursuing God, others and my health is an ongoing journey!

When I prayed and asked the Lord for a focus for this year, it came down to the wire.  I wasn’t hearing anything concrete, so I went back and reflected on this past season of my life.  I saw how God had allowed me to be stripped of so many things that made me comfortable — finances, material possessions, people, dreams and desires.  Through it all, I longed for simplicity, even though at times the stripping was painful.

And then it came!

But I questioned, as I thought the word should have been “simplify”.  But God said, “no, simply”.  So again I prayed and although this journey is still unfolding, God whispered this to my heart the other night as I lay in bed:

Simply love
Simply live
Simply give

To simply love God, and others, without believing that I have to do something amazing to prove my love.

To simply live, breathing in fresh air and smelling the fragrance of each new day.  I want to see God in the simple things in life.

To simply give, without believing the lie that I have nothing to give.

I am sure I will have more to share as this journey unfolds.  Will you come along with me?

Do you have a One Word focus for the coming year?  Will you share it in the comments below?

Mia
    January 1, 2013 at 1:33 am

Dear Barbie Friend, I have two requests that I have asked Pappa for this year, the one is for Him to draw me into deeper, deeper levels of love for a deeper intimate relationship with Him becoming more, more and more, and me, less and less!

I am quite excited about your neew weekend link- up.

A wonderful Godfilled 2013
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..The Slave King

January 1, 2013 at 9:30 am

Thank you Mia! Be watching for a post tomorrow for the details about the new link up! May God continue to draw you into deeper intimacy. Happy New Year!

Beth @ My Destiny
    January 1, 2013 at 4:47 am

Oh, that sounds SIMPLY wonderful! I can’t wait to see what God has planned!

You’re such a blessing!
    Beth
    Beth @ My Destiny recently posted..Nuggets from 2012

January 1, 2013 at 9:30 am

Me either! Happy New Year Beth!

Mary
    January 1, 2013 at 6:10 am

Your message is wonderful, SIMPLE yet very meaningful. Maybe we should all hold the SIMPLE things of life more closely to our hearts. {{hugs}}

January 1, 2013 at 9:31 am

Thank you Mary! He’s Simply amazing!

Jennifer peterson
    January 1, 2013 at 6:44 am

Love this Barbie and I simply love you!!! And I simply love reading your blog!! And I simply thrilled to be able to call you my friend!! I am loving your word!! As you can see!! My word is new…
    Jennifer peterson recently posted..And the word for 2013 is…….

January 1, 2013 at 9:31 am

Oh Jennifer, you are so sweet! I love you too and I love your word. He makes ALL things new! Happy New Year!

Dawn St Amand Paoletta
    January 1, 2013 at 9:12 am

God is good. Simply good! Wonderful, Barbie. Thanks for sharing Happy New Year, Love Dawn
    Dawn St Amand Paoletta recently posted..Start Each Day with God {Inspiring Women Series: Catherine Galasso-Vigorito}

January 1, 2013 at 9:32 am

Happy New Year my friend!

Lisa Grace
    January 1, 2013 at 9:16 am

This year, for me, is one of Intention. Last year was the year of simplicity and purpose. I loved your post today and look forward to continue reading your blog as you explore “simple”.
    Lisa Grace recently posted..2013: Year of Intention

January 1, 2013 at 9:32 am

Thank you Lisa!

Jessica Lipske
    January 1, 2013 at 9:16 am

Love your word for 2013. If we would all do things in life just a little more simply.
    Jessica Lipske recently posted..One Word. Three Sixty Five.

January 1, 2013 at 9:32 am

Thank you Jessica!

Debbie
    January 1, 2013 at 9:21 am

I love your one word simply! And btw, your new blog look is great. Happy New Year to you my friend.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..One Word 2013

January 1, 2013 at 9:33 am

New blog look? It’s not even installed yet. What are you seeing my friend? Happy New Year!

Cheryl E
    January 1, 2013 at 10:37 am

I have never chosen a word before, but everyone always talks about it, so I’m excited to give it a try. This year God kept bringing to mind the word “balance”. So, I think my word this year is “balance”. I need to learn and focus on balancing my life. Spending time with God, family, work, and other responsibilities. I don’t know how this will play out, but I know God will reveal it to me!

January 1, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Cheryl, I love your word! Balance is definately something I strive for with being a full-time working mom. Praying that God will reveal more as the year goes. Thanks for stopping by and for reading.

Melanie Wilson @theinspiredday
    January 1, 2013 at 10:51 am

I’ve been doing the one-word focus for some time and love it, but I had forgotten to choose one this year. It’s easy for me though. It’s encourage. My goal is to encourage someone every day this year and to record the results. Can’t wait to see your new look, Barbie. Blessings on your year of living simply. It’s a great word!
    Melanie Wilson @theinspiredday recently posted..One Life to Live?

January 1, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Melanie, you are an encourager! I love that you choose that word. Speaking life and hope into others is a wonderful gift. Thank you for stopping by!

Amy Tilson
    January 1, 2013 at 11:09 am

What a SIMPLY beautiful word to lead you through your next year of life. I think is one word that will lead you down many unexpected paths of joy and growth. Thank you for sharing it and your light with us.
    Amy Tilson recently posted..One Word 2013 – CREATE

January 1, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Thank you Amy! I am excited to see how it unfolds.

susan@avintagefarmwife
    January 1, 2013 at 11:10 am

What a lovely post! Simply lovely and a great reminder for all of us. Praying you are blessed this year as you give the gift of your words to all of us.
    susan@avintagefarmwife recently posted..Do You Do?

January 1, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Thank you Susan! I appreciate you!

Child of God
    January 1, 2013 at 11:10 am

Hi Barbie,
    I can see ‘constant’ being a great word for you this year.
    I am still listening to Father for a word and a verse for me this year and I still haven’t heard.

Be blessed sister,
    Child of God recently posted..Welcome 2013!

January 1, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Thank you friend. Constant was my word in 2011 and is still an ungoing journey. This year I am striving to live simply!

Ann @ Christ in the Clouds
    January 1, 2013 at 11:45 am

I love reading all the great words that bloggers post for the year! “Simply” is straight to the point. Mine for this year is “Steadfast”. I just posted about it on my blog. Praying the Lord blesses you with many opportunities to simply love, simply live, and simply give!
    In His Lo♥e, Ann
    Ann @ Christ in the Clouds recently posted..A New Year, A New Word

January 1, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Thank you Ann! I just left a comment over on your blog!

Diana
    January 1, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I think it’s SIMPLY wonderful that the Lord whispered such a wonderful word to you. What a great word! If I was to wish for a word to use for 2013, I might almost go for the same one! Oh for a SIMPLY lived life, which I have missed… maybe the Lord will walk with me in this. A happy, prayer-filled 2013 to you, sweet friend! ♥
    Diana recently posted..Allelujah! Happy New Year 2013!

January 1, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Diana, by all means if God is speaking then grab the word Simply and run with it! Happy New Year!

Janette's Sage
    January 1, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Oh I love that…don’t we make it so complicated at times? I sure do…and yet it is so simple.
    Oh enjoy your word this year as God walks through it
    Blessings in 2013

January 1, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Thank you Janette!

Wendy
    January 1, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Don’t we all long to do all of those things simply, friend? How often we complicate it all when He never intended that for us. I am so looking forward to everything He has for you in this one word. I know what you share will impact my life as well as your words always touch my heart. Blessings and much love!
    Wendy recently posted..My One Word

January 1, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Thank you my sweet friend! Love you much!

lindy
    January 1, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I don’t think I have a word…yet, but I love your choice. All of my goals for this year involve less expectations of myself. I love a God who doesn’t want me to beat myself up all the time. God wants me to strive to do the best I can all while praising and praying. I can’t wait to see the new design.
    lindy recently posted..Oregon Shrug

January 1, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Thank you for stopping by Lindy. Praying Gods’s riches blessings over you and your family in the coming year.

Nancy @ Pilgrim Wanderings
    January 1, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Great word, Barbie! Such good reminders to just BE. In Him. In the present. In the moment. Without striving for things that don’t matter.

My word for this year is NEW. I’m ready to let Him make me what He intended for me to be all along.

Blessing to you this year!
    Nancy @ Pilgrim Wanderings recently posted..One Word: NEW

January 1, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Behold, He makes all things new. I love your word. Happy New Year!

Kristin
    January 1, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I simply love it! 🙂 I would love to come back and see what you are learning from Him with this new word.
    My word for 2013 is Give.
    Happy New Year!

January 1, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Kristin, I hope you will visit me again soon. I will be writing another post on January 15th, as an update.

Melanie
    January 1, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Barbie- I love it! And I love your dialogue with God to see if it should be simplify.
    Simply love, simply live, simply give- beautiful!

My word is Stand (which is not my natural bent, I’m more of a rest and reflect person!)
    Praying for your year and all that unfolds.
    Melanie recently posted..Comment on OneWord 2013- Stand by Amy Tilson

January 1, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Thank you so much Melanie! Happy New Year!

Beth Zimmerman
    January 1, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Your new look is beautiful and perfect for who I perceive you to be! Simply is an awesome word (theme) to pursue in this brand new word. God began whispering the word “restoration” into my spirit (along with renew) about a month ago and then planted it firmly over Christmas as my world flew into absolute chaos and I began pleading with Him to work in my life to restore the years that I have allowed the “locusts” to steal, kill and destroy. (More details in the last couple of posts on my blog if you want to know how to pray with us.) And so … restoration it is! =)
    Beth Zimmerman recently posted..What Women Fear

January 1, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Beth, I will certainly be going back to catch up on your posts. God is a God of restoration. All things are possible with Him. Bless you my friend. Oh, my new blog design isn’t up yet. But it will be soon!

Gina
    January 2, 2013 at 1:13 am

What a great word! I pray the Lord takes you to the simple place of knowing His love and truth this year!

January 7, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Thank you Gina! So glad you stopped by:)

Sophia
    January 2, 2013 at 5:58 am

This was such a wonderful post. Since I am new to blogging (under a year), I am glad to see so many embracing the new year and seeking God. I was also given a focus for the year and it is obedience. No matter how much I pray and ask, this is the word I was drawn to. I look forward to following your progress.

Sophia
    twentyfiveseasons.com
    Sophia recently posted..My Vision for the Year

January 7, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Thank you Sophia for stopping by. I love your focus, obedience” this year. That is something that I want to do as well, be obedient to Him in all things.

Sandra Heska King
    January 2, 2013 at 6:50 am

Yes, simply. Childlike. Uncomplicated.

Simply perfect.
    Sandra Heska King recently posted..of passings, plans, and a new word

January 7, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Thanks for stopping by Sandra!

Rebecca Jo
    January 2, 2013 at 6:57 am

Love it… so simple… but so powerful! 🙂

January 7, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Thank you Rebecca Jo!

LyndsD
    January 2, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Oh I love this!! Your heart. Your word. The path God is guiding you on. Soooo powerful and such peace that will come with it all. Bless you sweetie!

January 7, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Thank you so much LyndsD! I’m enjoying your blog!

Jenifer
    January 2, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Barbie, I love your word! 🙂 I am announcing my word tomorrow, so excited!!

Jenifer
    Jenifer recently posted..100 Pound Loser

January 7, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I’m a little behind, but looking forward to reading your focus for the year.

Diana Denis
    January 2, 2013 at 7:19 pm

My heart was filled with expectation as I read your word for this year. Simply love, live and give. Praying for endurance and joy as you walk this journey. Sending you great big hugs my friend!
    Diana Denis recently posted..ONE WORD…KNOW

January 7, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Thank you for your hugs, my friend!

susie klein
    January 2, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Oh I love your word very much! I also love the story of your assuming the word was “Simplify” and God showing you it was actually “Simply”. So beautiful! I look forward to reading more!
    susie klein recently posted..My ONE WORD for 2013 – Embrace!

January 7, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Thank you Susie!

Mary
    January 3, 2013 at 3:48 am

Oh, Barbie!! I love your word and your new digs! I am looking forward to The Weekend Brew.

SIMPLY…beautiful, Barbie…
    Mary recently posted..My new Wednesday series…an announcement!

January 7, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Thanks Mary!

Kerri
    January 7, 2013 at 10:14 am

oh my sweet friend…i have missed you so!
    i simply love your new blog design and what a wonderful word for the year!
    i too was uncertain of my word this year until the morning of Jan1st….it’s actually 2 words…be still
    maybe one day i will share the journey…for now, i will wait upon the Lord for direction and guidance
    bless you, Barbie!
    Kerri recently posted..His eye is on the sparrow

January 7, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Kerri!!!!!! So excited to see you here. I think about you all the time. I temporarily lost your package. Gosh, will I ever get it to you. God has perfect timing. It’s in the garage I’m sure! Praying for you and hope you are doing well!

Brooke
    January 9, 2013 at 4:23 pm

What an excellent word! Sometimes it seems impossible to really live simply… and yet when it happens it is so peaceful and relaxing. 🙂
    Brooke recently posted..Denver Boudoir Photography – Wings Over the Rockies Boudoir

January 9, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Thank you Brooke for stopping by my blog!

Loraine
    January 9, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Thank you for sharing your journey with ‘Word for the Year’ Your testimony has inspired me to continue and let God be God in my life. To accept the journey and whatever circumstance I find myself, I know God will see me through.

Amber @ Classic Housewife
    January 12, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Excellent word, Barbie!
    I love your word for last year, too, Pursue. Thank you for sharing.