31 In Weekend Whispers

The Weekend Brew: Enter His Gates

Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. (Psalm 100:4)

I was sitting in the Prayer Room with my worship team earlier this week, as we meditated on scripture passages relating to “declaring His worth”.  Declaring the worth of Jesus is to offer Him praise and thanksgiving, not for what He’s done, but simply for who He is.

I sing the song all the time, about “entering into His gates with Thanksgiving”, but what does that truly mean?  The Holy Spirit began to remind me that it’s easy to go through the motions while clapping my hands and singing about entering in, but am I really entering into His presence?

The Psalmist says to “enter into His gates”.  The gate is the passage way to the very heart of God.  It is the door way into His presence. In order for me to truly enter in, I must choose to go.  I must lift the latch, remove the barrier, and enter in.  It’s easy to get caught up in a time of praise and worship, with great music and amazing worship leaders, and forget that there lies before me a choice — a gate — that must be opened so that I can enter into His presence.  And as I enter, I come with a thankful heart, thanking Him for all that He’s done, and all that He has yet to do.

There are seasons when it’s easy to enter in with a thankful heart and give Him praise, and there are others when it truly is a sacrifice of praise that I offer to Him.  I give Him praise, simply because He is worthy.  No matter the circumstances, loss or pain I may be experiencing, He will always be worthy to receive my praise.  I will thank Him in the good times, as well as the bad times.  When I enter His gates with Thanksgiving, I am free to enter His courts — the very dwelling place of God, with praise, because praise is a direct result of a heart that is overflowing with Thanksgiving.

Now it’s your turn to share encouragement here at The Weekend Brew.
1.  Write a post, or share one from earlier in the week, that encourages and brings life.
2.  Grab the button from my sidebar to use in your post, or simply link here.
3.  Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others if you have time).

Kim | At Home With Kim
    January 19, 2013 at 5:47 am

Love this post. Love the reminder that praise in the time when we don’t much feel like praising is our sacrifice at the altar. And second, love that you touch on CHOOSING to come into His presence. My quiet time today reminded me that I’ve allowed busyness and distraction into my life this week, and the effects have been clear. Hugs to you today Friend…..
    Kim | At Home With Kim recently posted..Photography Friday

January 19, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Thank you my friend. I’ve truly had to walk these words out today, reminding myself that it’s a choice to enter in to give Him praise, in all things! Have a blessed Sunday!

Amanda
    January 19, 2013 at 6:12 am

There is so much to be thankful for, even during the hard, frustrating, not-so-great moments. I’m so thankful that He opens His gates for us! Thanks so much for the encouraging post, Barbie! Have a blessed day 🙂
    Amanda recently posted..Sweet, Simple Saturday

January 19, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Thank you Amanda. He truly does open the gate for us, and invites us in. Have a beautiful tomorrow!

Joan
    January 19, 2013 at 7:20 am

Great reminder that He is indeed always worthy! No matter what is going on in our lives, He is always constant and is always praiseworthy! It is such a blessing to open that gate and enter in…

Blessings, Joan
    Joan recently posted..Wiser than I

January 19, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Despite all things, He remains faithful! Thank you for linking up Joan!

~Karrilee~
    January 19, 2013 at 8:38 am

The ‘danger’ of attending a large contemporary church – with all the lights and big screens and professional sound is that this truth can get lost in the smoke and electric guitar! 😉 (I’m only partly kidding!) I LOVE this reminder… to enter in – on purpose, with purpose – to give Him all your worship! Thanks for reminding us!
    ~Karrilee~
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..Five Minute Friday – Cherished (Part 1)

January 19, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Ha ha, so true. Thankfully, we don’t have huge screens and flashy lights. But our worship is amazing and if I’m not careful I can get caught up in the words and music and leave my heart on the side lines. Have a beautiful Sunday!

Child of God
    January 19, 2013 at 9:37 am

Hi Barbie,
    The presence of God is a glorious, wonderful thing to behold. I live for the presence of God, to just bask in His amazing love and soak it all in. How nice the prayer team focused and mediated on this. 🙂 I wish I was with you. It is a joy that at the same time I just can’t get enough of yet fills me up to over flowing all at the same time.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful word.

Blessings,
    Child of God recently posted..Did He Really Say That?

January 19, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Happy Sunday my friend!

Michele-Lyn
    January 19, 2013 at 11:38 am

When my children don’t know what to pray or journal, I always tell them, start with giving thanks. Prayers and praise will come quickly after you remember all God has done for you already. 🙂

PS I see you’ve changed the theme of your linky. Next week I will post something different 🙂 I posted too soon! Love you!
    Michele-Lyn recently posted..Search me, O God [Dream Again Day 19]

January 19, 2013 at 11:43 am

Oh friend, this post is totally acceptable. I haven’t been very clear in communicating the guidelines. I wanted to open it up, so photos with scripture, or longer posts, all accepted! 🙂 Thank you for your friendship.

Jedidja
    January 19, 2013 at 11:48 am

I love this post about these bibleverses. Never read it so clear and thanks for your openess! Hve a nice day and a blessed Sunday tomoorow!
    Jedidja recently posted..Help … ik wil een warme mama zijn!

January 19, 2013 at 10:43 pm

So thankful you stopped by again and commented. I left a comment over on your blog, and am so excited I can read it in English! Google Translator is way cool!

Jessie Gunderson
    January 19, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Hi Barbie I’m glad I saw your post on the Fb group. Thanks for the invite. I hope this post is acceptable. 🙂 I’m always looking for more places to encourage and BE encouraged.

It is so good to remember that everything is a season. Sometimes I’m so hard on myself for not being on the same journey as I might have been a month ago. Usually it’s not only spiritual seasons but weather for me. Hoping to remember to always choose joy!
    Jessie Gunderson recently posted..Cherishing Boys

January 19, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Jessie, I am so thankful you came and linked up! Gives me a chance to visit you more!

Pam
    January 20, 2013 at 3:36 am

Beautiful post and picture to go alongside. It was a blessing to read your words this morning. They ring so true whether we are worshiping corporately or privately. God bless you

January 20, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Thank you Pam!

Laurel
    January 20, 2013 at 6:35 am

I really struggle sometimes with feeling worthy, even though it’s easy to accept Him. Isn’t it amazing to have someone accept us just as easily? Jesus is good!
    Laurel recently posted..Scripture and a Snapshot: Matthew

January 20, 2013 at 6:01 pm

It’s comforting to know that in Jesus’ arms, I am always accepted. Thank you for stopping by Laurel!

Rosann
    January 20, 2013 at 7:42 am

Oh Barbie, I totally agree with you here. There are definitely seasons where it’s so much easier to enter into God’s presence with a beautiful and gratitude filled heart and there are other seasons where it really is much harder to do. I believe those difficult seasons are the times God truly meets us right where we are, not because we’ve asked Him to be near, but because He loves us so much and knows our need before we are able to express it.
    Rosann recently posted..What is Salvation?

January 20, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Thank you for stopping by to bless me Rosann! Praying you have a beautiful week.

Kelli
    January 20, 2013 at 7:51 am

This: “…not for what He’s done, but simply for who He is”

Thank you, I needed to be reminded of this one thing today.

January 20, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Have a beautiful week Kelli!

Rina Peru
    January 20, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I love to praise, too, Barbie. And as you’ve faithfully written, there are times it’s easy to enter into heartfelt praise and thanksgiving, and there are times that it’s not. In my experience, in times that I don’t feel rejoicing, I praise and worship still, as you’ve mentioned – to honor Him for who He is, for His majesty and glory. And I found out that – if I do it sincerely despite of, His Spirit will descend to bless me!
    Rina Peru recently posted..Three Loaves of Bread