Speaking Mama’s Love Language: {Guest Post}

Today, I am so excited to have Elizabeth at Just Following Jesus sharing her heart in this space.  She continues to inspire me with her love for the Lord and for others.  May you be blessed as you read her words.

It was a frustration to me growing up, the fact that Mama and I spoke two different love languages.
My love language is primarily words of affirmation.
Spoken words are great, but write the words out for me to savor, and I’m in heaven!
Mama’s love langage was acts of service.
She cooked, cleaned and stitched her love for us.

The older I get, the more I see that there’s a whole lot of Mama in me.
When I go to put my makeup on in the morning,
Mama’s eyes are staring back at me in the mirror,
Mama’s eyes right there in my face.

While I am pretty demonstrative and verbal in my love and affection,
I’m finding that Mama’s love language has also become second nature to me.
It’s the language I grew up with and I fall into “speaking” it without thinking.
Sometimes, I’m not sure those around me are fluent enough to interpret it though.

Does my husband know that having the house spic and span, with fresh sheets on the bed,
when he gets home from a trip out of town, means “I love you”,
just like my words and hugs and kisses do?
When our family comes home and gathers round the table for a family dinner,
do they understand what the extra care in setting the table nicely for them really means?

It’s in cooking that I find myself speaking Mama’s love language most often.
I know what each family member loves and I love to make it for them.
Oldest granddaughter adores a good plate of spaghetti,
only grandson thinks my homemade pumpkin bread is the best thing ever,
four year old granddaughter and her daddy both love my homemade bread and dinner rolls,
my other son-in-law loves my shredded pork burritos,
oldest daughter’s favorite food growing up was enchiladas,
the second born chose lasagna for every birthday dinner,
the youngest is a meat lover and thinks nothing beats a good medium rare steak,
the Hubs loves just about anything I set before him,
but the homey type meals, like a good pot roast, are his special favorites.

So, I put on my apron,
I tidy up the house and set the table,
I mix and stir, measure and bake, sauté and simmer,
and when family or friends gather round the table,
I hope they can translate the work of my hands into the words of my heart.

I care about you.

You are special to me.

I love you.

*     *    *     *

Will you stop over to Just Following Jesus and say hello to Elizabeth?  You will be so glad that you did!

Elizabeth is a “young” 50 something passionate follower of Jesus Christ, who loves her life as a pastor’s wife, mama, nana, Bible teacher and mentor. Her husband and her have three beautiful daughters, two great sons-in law and four of the most wonderful grandbabies in the whole world.  Together, they pastor a great church in the Portland/Vancouver area. She is passionate about home and family, loves the beach, and enjoys writing, reading and photography.

BLOG_DESCRIPTION

1. Mia says:

Dear Elizabeth
    We have a saying in South Africa that the road to a person’s heart is through his stomach. This is a love language we know well in my country! I was just thinking this morning of the old Jewish custom where they only invite the people they care about a lot for a meal! Seems to me this is sort of an universal language to show your love and affirmation. Thanks Barbie for hosting Elizabeth.
    Blessings to you two
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..God’s Instrument of Suffering

2. Elizabeth says:

Thank you, dear friend, for letting me guest post here. You are a blessing here.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Speaking Mama’s love language…at My Freshly Brewed Life today

3. Thank you for sharing this as a mom of three girls we all have different love languages and it is a blessing learning from each other. Thank you Barbie and Elizabeth
    Jennifer peterson recently posted..Step off the roller-coaster

4. Stacey says:

Elizabeth, I have no doubt that feeding your family and friends shows your love for them. No doubt at all. 🙂

5. happygirl says:

What a wonderful post, Elizabeth. I like cooking for people, too. For me, cooking is my art. I have no mad skills at drawing, or painting, or taking pictures, or writing, but I can cook. I love making food delicious and sharing with those I love. My love language is acts of kindness.
    happygirl recently posted..Hazardous workplace

6. This is so beautiful. I just know they appreciate and understand all the extra care is your lovin’ them! My mom is the same way! 🙂
    jennifer {studiojru} recently posted..a great adventure {a love story}.

7. Linda Stoll says:

mmm … let’s hear it for those words of affirmation!

;-}
    Linda Stoll recently posted..It’s That Time of Month . . .

8. Becky Daye says:

Beautiful post, Elizabeth! I love how you shared what everyone’s favorite food is. Yep, pretty sure they know!
    Becky Daye recently posted..Leaving a Legacy~ Life. Unafraid.

9. The love language thing is so interesting. I do think a person tends to love others best in the way (s)he receives love best, also that there’s a whole lot of missing the boat in this. I’ve complicated matters further by having all these kids. I said to my husband the other day: remember how we determined that my primary love language was physical touch? Yeah, forget about that. I’m in the process of switching to acts of service. Now do some dishes, please. 🙂 Love you, Elizabeth. Great to see you, here.
    Brandee Shafer recently posted..The Instrument

10. Ladies, this post is a double blessing, first, Elizabeth…oh honey your words are so beautifully descriptive and touching. You give us a glimpse of the sacred in our everyday. By the end of the post I was planning to make Pumpkin Bread for my Tiny Love, Ellie and deliver it to her…that dear friend is inspiration. Thank you.
    And second…oh how exciting to meet a NEW friend and visit her beautiful blog home! Barbie, I’m so happy to find you!
    xo
    Robin
    Robin@All Things Heart and Home recently posted..Spring Mantle

11. I’m not sure whether I’ve been over here before, so it’s been nice wandering over from your place. I’ve been thinking about this whole love language thing quite a bit as I’ve wrestled with how best to communicate love to my teenaged children. I’m wondering if it may have something to do with the frequency of times we say to one another, “You don’t appreciate me,” or “You just don’t understand.”

A friend of mine pointed out the wisdom of considering understanding another’s love language by reminding me that God requires to come to him in ways he prescribed–not just in any old way that feels right to him. In other words, we are to love him according to his word–his love language.
    Nancy Franson recently posted..Invitation to the Barbecue