The Name Above All Names

I met Him when I was 20 years old.  The Pastor gave the alter call and at first, I didn’t know what to do. He was calling for those to come, to accept Him as Savior and Lord.  Did I really have to walk down to the front?  What would people think?  Is this what everyone did when they got saved?

The Pastor gave a second call, and he seemed to be staring straight at me, as if Jesus Himself was looking at me.  I literally leapt from my seat and ran to the alter.  There, I prayed the sinner’s prayer, asked Him to forgive me, cleanse me, and make me new.  Oh how I longed to feel the realness of this Jesus.  This man who everyone said if I would give Him a chance, would save my life.

I jumped right into ministry, leading a youth group, small groups, discipleship.  I kept myself busy doing His work.  Surely this man Jesus would make Himself known.  Or was this supposed to be a walk of faith?  Did I have to feel Jesus to experience His power? Did I have to feel Him to know that He was with me?  What did it feel like to encounter the living God?

Months later I lay in bed.  Was I asleep?  Surely, I must have been, for the entire household was asleep. Me, the only “Christian” in the home had spent a good hour before bed reading the Word, praying and asking God to make His Name known to me, to make His Son, Jesus known to me, in a very real way.

And then the darkness came.  I remember feeling fear.  I could almost taste it, smell it as it swirled around me in the darkness of my bedroom.  I was paralyzed.  I tried to get up, but something had it’s hand on my chest and would not let me go.  I couldn’t breath, as it’s grip on me became more intense. Whatever it was that held me wanted my life.  This life that had just been given over to God, he wanted it back.  He would not give me up without a fight.  My heart beat outside my chest as I gasped for air. Is this how my life will end, Lord, without having ever knowing the fullness of Your presence?  I was losing hope that I would regain control over that which came to kill, steal and destroy that night.

The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. (John 10:10)

But somewhere, within the depth of my soul, came a whisper.  A whisper so loud it thundered through my entire body until it came forth — JESUS!  I knew enough in my short months of walking this new journey that the Name of Jesus had power over darkness.  I had no breath with which to yell, but the whisper was loud enough that it broke the hold of the enemy on me, and in that moment, Jesus had made Himself known to me in a very real way.  That night I was set free by a whisper.  The whisper of a Name which carries all authority and power over darkness.

There have been other occasions in my life where I have had to call on the Name of Jesus to save me. For in the Name of Jesus is the power to break every chain that holds me.  I am so thankful for the Name of Jesus.

Jesus, name above all names
Beautiful Savior, Glorious Lord
Emmanuel, God is with us
Blessed redeemer, Living Word

(photo credit)

Linking up with Bonnie today for Faith Barista Jam where we are talking about “Jesus”.

1. Anita says:

Amen, that is a beautiful truth…and a wow story. I try to remind my child to call out the name of Jesus in the night hours, when they’re afraid, and it’s something I do as well. His Name truly is strong and mighty to save.

God bless your day.

• Barbie says:

I use to think that I had to pray a big, long, powerful prayer. But I have learned that sometimes all it takes is just one Word – JESUS!

2. GLORY! I LOVE IT! That whisper shook the enemy and made him lose his grasp! Jesus, KING OF KINGS! Hallelujah!

I love your post and I love Jesus. \o/ <—- hands raised
    Beth @ My Destiny recently posted..I can’t help myself … I love …

• Barbie says:

Thanks my friend. It was a defining moment in my life. Thankfully, I’ve never experienced another attack like that one.

3. Wendy says:

Amen sister! There is such power in His name. And oh how He loves when we call out to Him…Jesus! No sweeter name. Beautiful! Love you much.
    Wendy recently posted..Praying For A Marriage Revival

4. Debbie says:

Ah yes, Jesus never disappoints Barbie. It can be a lonely walk at times. It can be difficult when those around you don’t understand. But I too have found Jesus to be so faithful. And He is so comforting when we run to Him.

Love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..Where Does Loneliness Lead You?

5. Rosann says:

Oh Amen! This gave me goosebumps as I read it. Thank you for sharing something so deeply personal, Barbie. I can completely relate.

6. Amen!! The name above all names…Jesus!!
    Jennifer peterson recently posted..Gluten free and a miracle…

7. Mia says:

Dear Barbie
    Yes, my friend the enemy will do everything in his power to draw us away from our Lord. I am so thankful that our Lord that is within us, is much greater than he who is in the world!
    Much love
    Mia

8. Aritha says:

I love your posting! What a great story. I know when Jesus loves us and we Him: He’s with us in every situation. Even in dark nights.
    Aritha recently posted..Schrijversdip: geen middeleeuwse verhalen meer?

9. Mary says:

This testimony truly touched my heart. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus~I love the sound of Your name.
    Mary recently posted..Wind & Wave Obey Jesus

10. Child of God says:

Wow Barbie, my heart was just thumping as I read this post. It brought back all of the feelings of having that same presence overwhelm me in my sleep and Jesus’ name barely escaping my lips.

There is no other name like Jesus!!

Blessings
    Child of God recently posted..So, Which One Is It?

11. Mandy says:

Amen, amen, amen, Barbie! Yes, the power in His name is incredible. Thanks for sharing the story of how it delivered you. Blessings!
    Mandy recently posted..WWJS {About You}?

12. Amen; Yes, Barbie…their is power in His Name to set free once from sin’s dominion, and again and again, as we learn to live as His Beloved…hugs to you 🙂 praying Aaron is better and you didn’t come down with the flu?
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..Alphabet of Thanks: Can I trust in "J"oy?

13. Joan says:

When I read your story, a chill of remembrance ran up my spine. I had a similar experience shortly after I gave my life to Christ! The only thing I could do was call out the name of Jesus! There is true power in His name for those who believe! Thank you for sharing your experience! God is amazing!

Blessings, Joan
    Joan recently posted..Strength and Dignity

• Barbie says:

I’ve me so many people that have experienced this. I’m so thankful that the darkness does not hide the light and that we can but whisper the name of Jesus and darkness must flee!

14. Jesus! Oh how powerful is his name…even whispered.
    Thank you for sharing your story. What a life-changing moment for you.
    Diane | An Extraordinary Day recently posted..A Photo Pause | The Week at a Glance 2/23

15. charis says:

wow. so intense. Jesus is so faithful.
    charis recently posted..20 ways to love your spouse on valentine’s day

16. Jennifer says:

Barbie, praising and rejoicing with you, friend! Your words gave me chills. Wow. So blessed by you.
    Jennifer recently posted..How I wasn’t supposed to meet my husband: a love story