44 In Weekend Whispers

The Weekend Brew: When You Feel Weak & Vulnerable

Do you ever have days when you are devoid of energy and it hurts just to think?  I do.  Often.  Those days leave me feeling weak, and vulnerable.  I am either near tears or ready to lash out at any given moment.  I don’t like feeling weak.  But then I have to remember that I am a weak, broken, bruised and imperfect vessel, and that’s it’s okay to have an off day.

You see my friends, we have no strength in and of ourselves.  I strive every day to be something I’m not — supermom, amazing wife, uber-talented multi-tasker, circus juggler and actress; well, not really, but you get it, don’t you?  We clearly cannot do it all.  Some days, we are going to feel weak and vulnerable, and that’s okay.

When we say “yes” to our child, instead of getting lost in our own world,
we overcome a weakness that threatens to destroy our relationship with our children.

When we say “I was wrong” to our husbands, we overcome a weakness that threatens to steal the joy and intimacy in our marriage.

When we say “yes” to getting out of bed, when our heads throb and backs ache, we overcome a weakness that desires to pull us back into the deep, dark pit that we were pulled out of.

When we say “yes” to God, we overcome a weakness that fights to pull us out of God’s plan and purpose for our lives.

I don’t know about you, but I feel weak most days and just flat out tired.  No matter what your daily schedule looks like, I can imagine you are doing multiple things at the same time.  Wouldn’t it be so much easier to choose to just sit, get lost in the TV or a bowl of Ben & Jerrys and forget that people need us?

We are not called to live this life in our own strength.  First and foremost, our walk with God is a partnership.  We were made for God.  Sometimes it takes every ounce of strength that I have to say yes to God.  And my yes is so weak so often.  But oh, what God can do with a weak yes and a willing heart!

What God can do with a weak yes and a willing heart! Click To Tweet

And forget about trying to live up to that supermom or star-studded wife label.  Really?  It’s okay to ask our husbands or family members for help.  We were not called to do it all and be all things to all people. It’s perfectly okay to set healthy boundaries.  Go ahead and make your lists, but then realize that it’s not a sign of weakness to leave some things undone.  We will never be perfect this side of heaven, so let’s stop trying!

Oh and friends, we need each other.  You and me.  This big world of blogging can get a little overwhelming at times.  There are so many beautiful hearts, and I cannot follow them all and my Google Reader says there are 941 unread items and I am frustrated that I cannot build a community with the 300 bloggers I try to follow.  I feel weak and vulnerable next to so many amazing writers.  But I’ve given God my weak yes, and asked Him to use me for His glory, as I share my heart through my life’s experiences.  And you bless me continually, time and time again.  I want to meet every one of you one day and hug your necks!

This is more of a chatty post for me, but I just really wanted you to know that it’s okay to feel weak and vulnerable.  It’s perfectly okay to admit that you need help, that you can’t do it all, and that you need a time of rest.  REST — this is the most important thing when our hearts are weak and we feel vulnerable.

Will you allow God to quiet your heart and mind as He renews you with His strength today?  His strength is perfected in our weakness.  I think a weak and vulnerable heart is the best kind of heart for God to use.

“My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.
(2 Cor. 12:9)

Now it’s your turn to share encouragement here at The Weekend Brew.
1.  Write a post, or share one from earlier in the week, that encourages and brings life.
2.  Grab the button from my sidebar to use in your post, or simply link here.
3.  Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others if you have time).

Beth @ My Destiny
    February 9, 2013 at 1:55 am

I’m glad you wrote a chatty post. It feels like we’re just having a conversation. 😉 I am frustrated that I don’t have time to visit others either. You do a much better job of visiting! I love so many blogs, but I just don’t have time.

Thank you for the reminder that we just can’t do it all — and that is OK.

Love and hugs,
    Beth
    Beth @ My Destiny recently posted..I have been BEETen (not beaten)

February 9, 2013 at 8:29 am

Oh how I would love to sit across a table from you my friend. Have a lovely weekend.

Mia
    February 9, 2013 at 2:23 am

Oh dear Barbie
    How I relate to your words!! With a chronic illness, I, more often than not, am unable to be what I would love to be! But you know what … our Pappa God is close to the suffering and I would not exchange that nearness for anything in the world. Not even a healthy body without pain.
    Much love
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..The Bare Necessities

February 9, 2013 at 8:30 am

I love your perspective my friend. You are a joy!

Rosann
    February 9, 2013 at 4:11 am

Oh yes, I would Love a day snuggled up with Ben and Jerry…and a little chocolate sauce poured on top! Lol! Oh my…that did not come out right! Seriously though I have felt so weak the past few days. Part of it is illness, but the other part is just constantly feeling like I’ve bitten off more than I can chew. I just keep repeating to myself…my strength comes from God. I am weak, but He is strong. I feel unequipped and lazy, but He equips me and inspires me. Now, it’s only 7am but I’m thanking God I’ll be forced to get in the car and drive my daughters to a play date today…because on the way home, in steadying of driving past the local grocery store, I’ll be swiftly turning the wheel into the parking lot and will eagerly walk through those automatic doors into the freezer aisle…and indulge in some Ben and Jerry’s. :-).
    Rosann recently posted..Why Being Intimate With Your Husband is So Important

February 9, 2013 at 8:31 am

You crack me up! I am so sorry you’re still struggling to get well. I’ve been praying for you. Let’s both indulge in a little Ben and Jerry’s, shall we?

Jennifer peterson
    February 9, 2013 at 6:24 am

SO true and love this…. not to live up to supermom:) I quit the job a long time ago!!!Everyone needs a day off AMEN!! so many just keep going and going!! Beautiful post and love it!!
    Jennifer peterson recently posted..tight rope

February 9, 2013 at 8:32 am

My oldest is 21 and my youngest 9, and I still strive to be supermom most days. God is teaching me, humbly, that I simply cannot be all things to all people.

Joan
    February 9, 2013 at 6:57 am

I know what you mean…and am so thankful that God’s grace is sufficient…MORE than sufficient! When I work and strive in my own strength, I get nowhere. But when I rest in God’s strength amazing things happen! Great post, Barbie!

Blessings, Joan
    Joan recently posted..Your Love

February 9, 2013 at 8:32 am

Spiritual and physical rest is so important in order to stay in a place of strength — His strength. Have a beautiful weekend.

Diane | An Extraordinary Day
    February 9, 2013 at 12:23 pm

We live in a world of expectations. Our own and others….some real, some imagined, and some unattainable. I know that my personal expectations for myself are ridiculous. But…it doesn’t stop me. I am grateful for a God and a husband…both who love me unconditionally and regardless of what I do or don’t do.
    Thanks for the ‘chat’ today Barbie. I enjoyed my cocoa and I know you enjoyed your coffee.
    Blessings.
    Diane | An Extraordinary Day recently posted..Winter Slat Board Vignette | Joy…My 2013 Word

February 9, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I’m so thankful you stopped by for the chat Diane!

Rachael
    February 9, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I don’t know why I am always surprised when I read a blog written from the heart of another woman that resonates so much with my own woman’s heart. Your’s did that today!

February 9, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Thank you Rachael. I look forward to visiting your blog!

Cherry
    February 9, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I just read a verse this morning that speaks right to what you were writing about – how we feel so weak, so often, as wives and moms. “We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves.” (II Cor. 4:7) I feel so weak, often – like a fragile clay jar – these words spoke to me, as well as your words. Thanks – and have a great weekend!
    Cherry recently posted..Close to His Heart {Forever Close #5}

February 9, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Thank you Cherry. Yes, that’s how I often feel, like a fragile clay jar. But I remember the clay is what is most pliable in His hands. Blessings!

Child of God
    February 9, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Oh yes, we all have those days. I just had one of those today. I had a massive headache so I just laid down on the couch and slept. There is so much that I wanted to do but today I said no I need to rest.

You are such a blessing Barbie, thank you for sharing. 🙂
    Hugs,
    Child of God recently posted..The Battle

February 9, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Oh friend, so thankful you got some rest. Praying your headache is gone!

Lisa
    February 9, 2013 at 8:38 pm

And forget about trying to live up to that supermom or star-studed wife label

I was just talking with someone about this exact topic this week. Yes, yes, yes we need to give up all of our super-fill-in-the-blanks, and let God fill in for us. This was so great Barbie, ahhhh feeling the rest and relaxing coming on. Thank you!
    Lisa recently posted..instructions of the heart

February 9, 2013 at 9:03 pm

You would think that after many years of parenting I would have realized I’m not supermom. Thankful that He gently keeps reminding me. Blessings!

Jedidja
    February 10, 2013 at 1:31 am

I have a sense of failure. This week my sister was angry me because I blogged about something my anxiety. She said: stopped with it. I was so busy with my own world …and my sister and blogging so I ignored my son. I was confused (my sister hurt me) and disappointed. I hope God forgives I was so busy with myself. His grace is enough and this week I will go in His power again. I want to be there for my son. Thank you for your encouraging post. Your openess is refreshing. Big hug.
    Jedidja recently posted..Letters op een hartje.

February 15, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Oh sweet one, God will forgive you. It’s hard sometimes when we get frustrated not to take it out on others. I am so thankful we found one another through blogging.

Debbie
    February 10, 2013 at 5:34 am

Oh Barbie, I do understand. There are days when I feel overwhelmed. Between work that can be exhausting on this ‘older body’ of mine, blogging, being a wife and daughter, writing a book and all of the other jobs on my list …I’m tired. And my allergies and sinuses have been acting up on top of it all. Sorry about the woe is me bit. 🙂 But He is my strength and for that I am able to keep on. In my weakness He is strong. And best of all, He gets all of the glory.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..Trusting in the Little Things

February 15, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I can do nothing in my own strength. It’s all Him. And I know that is you as well. You are a busy person, and I know without Him, you’d crumble. Have a lovely weekend my friend.

Denise
    February 11, 2013 at 2:27 am

Hi Barbie,
    I find myself very often weak and exhausted, and sometimes I think Jesus is asking me to learn from Him to be weak and humble in heart, because He will be strong for me in my weakest state; that’s when I find little need to exert extra strength if I find myself under pressure! 🙂

Linking up with you today; have a week full of love and joyful blessings!
    Denise
    Denise recently posted..Did You Love Them?

February 15, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Such truth. Thanks for stopping by for a visit.

Christina
    February 11, 2013 at 3:52 am

It has taken me a long time to embrace weakness and rest entirely on Him so that He becomes my strength. Beautiful truth here!
    Christina recently posted..When the Heart Wanders

February 15, 2013 at 11:04 pm

I am still learning not to see my weakness as a bad thing. Have a lovely weekend.

Rina Peru
    February 11, 2013 at 4:36 am

Hi Barbie. These were exactly my thoughts this afternoon (and selfsame verse) as I wrestled to finish the last chapter of the ebook I’m writing. Yes, it’s freeing to acknowledge our weaknesses and that we can never make it on our own, that’s why the Lord gave us a Helper. Lovely reminder.
    Rina Peru recently posted..Higher Wisdom {A Deeper Look at Faith}

February 15, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Rina, how exciting that you are writing an ebook. I have two in the works, but fear keeps me from going forward. I must rely on His strength. I can do nothing on my own.

Judith at WholeHearted Home
    February 11, 2013 at 10:19 am

Thank you for hosting this Linky party today!! I was blessed by your post as it really is like how I feel most mornings and often throughout the day. I appreciated the feeling that I was sitting down with you to have a sweet chat about being a mother and wife. Have a wonderful day!!
    Judith at WholeHearted Home recently posted..Doing a Pomodoro

February 15, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Thank you Judith! Have a lovely weekend.

Ashley Ditto
    February 11, 2013 at 6:15 pm

This honestly touched me so profoundly. Your words have really reached in and got my heart,and I can’t even describe how badly I needed this. Thank you, sweet Barbie.
    Ashley Ditto recently posted..A Peek Inside My Life…

February 15, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Ashley, I am thankful God touches you through my words. Have a beautiful weekend.

Positively Alene
    February 12, 2013 at 10:06 am

These words help my soul breathe today, friend! I’m thankful to know that in my weakness, He is strong. Oh how I need that reminder over and over and over. You bless me!
    Positively Alene recently posted..the shocking tale of a brother and sister.

February 15, 2013 at 11:07 pm

I’ve been praying for you my friend. May He be a constant source of strength to you when you feel weak and vulnerable.

ali @ an ordinary mom
    February 12, 2013 at 2:52 pm

“I don’t know about you, but I feel weak most days and just flat out tired. No matter what your daily schedule looks like, I can imagine you are doing multiple things at the same time. Wouldn’t it be so much easier to choose to just sit, get lost in the TV or a bowl of Ben & Jerries and forget that people need us?”

Oh, yes, this…
    But, yes, there is more life to live, and most days it takes all of my strength- and then some (of His!)
    ali @ an ordinary mom recently posted..The Truth Is, I Was Scared

February 15, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I pray for you often, knowing the weight you carry. He is your strength. May you feel His nearness today!

charis
    February 12, 2013 at 9:54 pm

this was extremely encouraging. you have been speaking straight to my heart in your past several posts. thanks for being a voice of encouragement.
    charis recently posted..6 tips for developing a life in God as a couple

February 15, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Thank you Charis. I am thankful the Lord uses my words to reach your heart. Have a beautiful weekend.

Emiliana Martin
    April 6, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Thank you so much Barbie for this honest post. It’s good to know I’m not alone in my daily struggles. {{{{{ HUGS }}}}}

April 6, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Thank you Emiliana! His grace is sufficient!