The Weekend Brew: Courage to Dream

Deep inside you is a dream.  Perhaps you’ve held it close to your heart since the time you were a little girl; perhaps it was birthed more recently as you’ve grown and matured in the Lord.  I recently said to someone that I didn’t believe that I had a dream. I’ve been reading so much here and there about women living out their God-sized dreams, and I’ve been asking the Lord for mine.  I’ve never been much of a dreamer, and I don’t remember ever dreaming as a little girl about anything extraordinary. But I serve an extraordinary God who uses ordinary people to accomplish amazing things!

What holds us back from dreaming, or from pursuing the dreams that are in our hearts?

I believe the main thing holding me back is fear.

Fear that I will never find my dream.
Fear that when I do, it will never come to pass.
Fear that if it does, I will not steward it correctly.
Fear that I will fail God and others in the process.

It takes courage to dream.  Courage to rise above our fears and allow God to take us on a journey of the heart.  It takes courage to tell others about the dreams that we are holding on to.  It takes courage to let go and allow God to lead us through the process of living out our dreams.

What is the dream that God has placed in your heart?  Perhaps you are like me, and are still in search of your God-sized dream.  Or is it possible that you’ve found yours, but are too afraid to step into it?

Let’s ask God together today for the courage to dream.  We may not know what our dream is, or how to go about accomplishing it, but we can trust God with it.  He put it there in the first place.  His desire is for us is to trust Him as we partner with Him in making our dreams a reality.

Rest in this truth today, my friends.  You were created with a purpose far greater than you could ever imagine.  Will you ask God to give you the courage to dream today?

Now it’s your turn to share encouragement here at The Weekend Brew.
1.  Share a post, photo, scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.  (Please only link one post.  Multiple posts from the same site will be deleted.)
2.  Grab the button from my sidebar to use in your post, or simply link here.
3.  Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others if you have time).

1. It’s interesting Barbie, that for me my dreams diminished when after we both lost our jobs and lingered too long in that difficult place of limbo. When my husband received another position, I again started to dream and even fulfilled one dream by starting my blog. But…again we find ourselves in this place of limbo. Wondering…though trusting God…when our feet will be back on the ground and when routine and income will return. But, during this time, I do believe that fear encamps around us and we must fight it off daily. And somehow in that dreams seem elusive. When hopes have been dashed…there is an unwillingness to trust…to step out in faith…the dream.
    I hope in you really can trust God to make in you a God-sized dream, or even several.
    [hugs]
    Diane | An Extraordinary Day recently posted..Being Extraordinary :: Seeing the Miraculous

2. kendal says:

fear. stands in my way, and i just let it sometimes….great post!
    kendal recently posted..observations on senior living

• Barbie says:

That’s so true. We really do allow fear in. Praying for the strength to push fear where it belongs! Have a blessed week Kendal!

3. I set so many dreams when I was younger, and by now I’ve reached nearly all of them (as I approach 60 next month!). The one dream I forever keep before me is to finish faithful to the Lord, with His help.

Thanks so much for hostessing the party, I visited the others and was blessed.

Hugs ~ Mary
    Mary @ Redo 101 recently posted..Fear – It’s Back

• Barbie says:

And that is the one dream that I too want to achieve — that I will be faithful to accomplish all that He calls me to, that I would finish the race well! Thanks for stopping by!

4. It takes courage…. oh so true my friend,… you spoke my heart again today. I love what Deidra over at Jumping Tandem wrote, fear being a bully. And he is… then I read Diane’s comments and it all brought back Hebrews 11:1…. is is so hard to step out when you do not have tangible things to see or hold on to. I struggle with living any dream daily because of that. It is much easier to just sit in my house and do nothing, but then that makes life boring. I pray God shows you His dream for you, and what I have learned these last few years, it may not even be a ginormous one to others but to you it will be huge, and to Him it will be huge. It’s not really about what the dream is, just that you trust in Him and try to live it. Well that’s my two cents 🙂
    Lisa @ {4}SLP recently posted..temptations beauty

5. Lisa says:

Love! I wonder if maybe during some of those quiet times, when I feel “dreamless”, He isn’t wanting me to draw near to Him, seek him more earnestly…because I have to know Him more deeply so He can plant the dream in my heart 🙂

Praying you discover your God-sized dream exactly when He wants you to!

6. Renee says:

Barbie!

What an encouragement this was to me today! You have to read my post, then you will really understand how the Lord used your words to encourage me. After a year of writing on my blog, I am still easily intimidated and unsure of myself. When I take my fears to the Lord, He is so faithful to strengthen me and renew His calling on my life. I have often heard it said that fear and faith cannot co-exist in our hearts, It is so true. We need to be renewed by the Lord everyday. Going to Him in prayer, searching for Him in His Word. Refreshed and renewed we can truly live out our God sized dreams!

~Renee
    Renee recently posted..Stepping In The Jordan

• Barbie says:

Renee, thank you for stopping by. I popped into your blog and then got distracted with kiddos. I look forward to stopping over again!

7. Oh I am right there, I finally realized that I have dreams but I am afraid.. Afraid to fail, afraid to be dis-apointed, afraid of others will think I am crazy. Thank you for the encouragement Barbie, love you
    Jennifer peterson recently posted..bread

8. Child of God says:

The dream I had years ago crashed and burned. My dream now is to fully serve our Father with my whole heart, soul and mind. Where that leads is His choice, I will obey Him and if it means I stay home and clean toilets the rest of my life so be it because if He is there then I know good things will happen.

Blessings sister
    Child of God recently posted..Persistence in Prayer

9. Carol says:

The words in Ephesians 2:10 are an encouragement to me. “We are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” I want to hear the whisper of the Holy Spirit and then be available.

At a woman’s retreat our speaker gave us this acrostic: Dependent on God
    Owned by Him
    Available
    The mystery is that, as we give ourselves totally to God (our flesh is DOA), He is able to accomplish His plan for us. It is much better than our own.
    Carol recently posted..Hope

• Barbie says:

So true! And He is the one who puts the dreams in our hearts. Oh to hear Him say “well done”, no matter what I do. Blessings!

10. Michele-Lyn says:

I still struggle in this place. The doubts come. And God reminds me, “He’s the giver of dreams.” He has a plan for us and our most important job is to seek Him for it. He will do His part. We have to trust Him in it, but we don’t have to walk alone. He gives us each other, too. Love your heart friend.

11. jedidja says:

I have lost many dreams, but I am still dreaming. I dream to be a writer after God’s heart. I am a writer but it is a struggle to to walk with Him and not only live for my dream.
    jedidja recently posted..Vleugels uitslaan als een adelaar.

12. Debbie says:

Oh Barbie, I could write a book about how fear has held me back from pursuing the dream God has placed in my heart. Even now as I am working on my book I have the tendency to avoid writing as I am getting closer to completing it. What if nobody wants to read it? Who am I to think I’m an author?

But you’re so right. We serve an extraordinary God. And He is the one who gives us a God sized dream. I need to accept that and allow Him to use me for His purposes. It’s not about Debbie but about Him. And then He gets all the glory!

Blessings and love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..A Good Friend and Mentor Died this Week

• Barbie says:

One of my dreams is to get my ebooks written. I have those same fears, “what if no one cares to read”. Well, it really isn’t about me so I should push that fear aside and rise up to the challenge! I cannot wait to read your book!

13. With God, nothing is impossible! No matter what the setbacks, if He has called us to it, He will see us through it. Thanks for the great post & for hosting, & God bless!
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Salvation’s Eternal Blessings

14. Thanks Barbie for expanding my vision to include God Sized Dreams. Good post!! Thanks for hosting the linkup party yesterday…joining in today!! Have a blessed week!!
    Judith at WholeHearted Home recently posted..O Jesus, I Have Promised