14 In Faith

Strengthened In The Waiting

On Thursdays here on the blog, I will be revisiting posts I wrote early on in my journey.  Some of you have been with me since the beginning, but many of you have not.  I have been reading through some of my earlier posts, and have been blessed.  It is my hope that you will be blessed and encouraged as well.

*This post originally appeared on September 2, 2009.

Sunrise

(photo credit)

Since the day we are born, we are taught to wait. In our infancy, we are helpless. We cannot ask for the things we need, so we cry, trusting that mom or dad will come to our rescue. As toddlers who are old enough to ask for what we want or need, we are often met with the dreaded word “wait”. We throw a fit, stomping off with our arms crossed and a frown on our face. We would often comment, “I don’t want to wait. It will take too long”, or “it’s not fair”. In our teenage years, we wait for the first day of High school, we wait to get our first job, our driver’s licenses. We wait to graduate high school, for acne to be gone, to start college and to find our soul mate whom God has designed specifically for us. The list goes on and on. As adults, we are still waiting on the Lord for many things. Waiting is not always easy. But I believe God’s timing in all things is perfect. He always brings forth the answer, yet it is not always within the time frame we would choose. We simply have to trust.

David was a man after God’s own heart. He walked closely with God. Yet, his prayers and admonishes are full of waiting:

David waited in expectation for the Lord’s answers each day.

In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. (Psa. 5:3);

David encourages us to be strong and to not lose heart as we wait for the Lord to reveal Himself in our situation.

Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD. (Psa. 27:14);

David instructs us to wait with hope because God will come to our rescue.

We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield. (Psa. 33:20);

David instructs us to put our hope in the Word of God as we wait for the Lord’s answers.

I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope. (Psa. 130:5)

Webster’s Dictionary defines “to wait” this way:

to remain in readiness for some purpose

Other words for “wait” are: anticipate, look forward, long, pine, yearn, expect, be ready.

As David waited on the Lord, he remained in a state of readiness to fulfill the purposes of God for that day. He encouraged himself in the Lord, telling himself to stay strong and reminding himself that God would rescue him. David put his hope in the Word of God. He trusted that God would take care of him. In those times when I desperately need an answer from God, I can often get impatient and tend to want to find my own solutions. Sometimes in the waiting, I can feel abandoned, unloved or like God isn’t hearing me. But the Word of God reminds me that He is waiting for me to come to him during those times.

But the LORD still waits for you to come to him so he can show you his love and compassion. For the LORD is a faithful God. Blessed are those who wait for him to help them.  (Is. 30:18)

Does this mean I simply ask once and leave it at that? No! I must continue to press in, to ask, to seek God through His word until such time as the answer or direction is brought forth. I am to continually come to Him so that He can show me His love and compassion, and so that in due time He can rescue me.

I do not know what you are waiting on the Lord for. I myself am waiting on a few things. But my prayer is that we would all be strengthened as we wait; that we would lean in to hear what He is saying; that we would trust that His timing is perfect and that He will reveal His plan in due time. God is for us, not against us. In our waiting, we must remember His great love for us!

But those who wait on the LORD will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.  (Is. 40:31)

Linda
    May 30, 2013 at 5:45 am

Hi Barbie…this was a great post from 2009 on the subject of “waiting” on the Lord. I think I will share it with Jared today…as he is patiently waiting for his career to open up in his composing field….I am sure that he sometimes wonders when things will start happening! 🙂 God is so faithful…and He is in control. I loved this post!

Have a great day!
    Linda
    Linda recently posted..A Month Since I Have Posted!!!

May 30, 2013 at 9:20 am

Oh yes, please share. I pray it blesses Jared. I know that God will open the door. Jared is very gifted and I know that Lord is busy moving things around to open just the right door at the right time. Blessings!

Jennifer
    May 30, 2013 at 5:45 am

This is a wonderful post. I’m so glad I get a glimpse into your blogging beginnings:).
    Jennifer recently posted..The Breath of God

May 30, 2013 at 9:21 am

Thank you Jennifer!

Missy
    May 30, 2013 at 7:03 am

Barbie – I am SO glad you are doing this for those of us who have newly discovered beautiful you and your words. Shockingly, I don’t think I had ever read the actual dictionary definition of “wait” before. And here, I was struck by the “remain in readiness” part. Meaning, I have a job to do while I wait. Be prepared. That is comforting. I was truly blessed to read this “old” post this morning. Thank you!
    Missy recently posted..Fanning the Flames of Thankfulness

May 30, 2013 at 9:25 am

Oh yes, that meaning of the word wait changed my entire perspective. We must always remain ready, full of hope and anticipation, with expectation as we wait. Blessings!

Sarah
    May 30, 2013 at 7:19 am

Thank you for sharing this Barbie! I am in a season of waiting right now, and I see myself getting more and more impatient. I long for things to change, but the change I want is not up to me. So I am waiting on the Lord to provide direction. It is difficult to wait when we want so desperately for something to change. Thank you for the encouragement to continue pressing in and seeking Him. I need to focus on that instead of the change I long for.
    Sarah recently posted..What Are You Afraid Of?

May 30, 2013 at 9:29 am

Thankful God met you today through these words. He promises to strengthen those who wait on Him. I am praying for you today, asking God to wrap you up in His arms of strength and speak comfort to your heart. He knows the end from the beginning and we can’t see the bigger picture. Blessings!

Miss Mae
    May 30, 2013 at 8:57 am

oh wow. I so so needed this today. thank you for sharing this post again!! a friend shared it on facebook, which led me to read it, and I’m so glad she did. I think many/most of us are waiting on the Lord for one thing or another and these were such great reminders!! I especially love the part about being in a state of readiness to fulfill the Lord’s purposes for the day. to not worry about how long we will have to wait and just focus on fulfilling the Lord’s purposes for e.a.c.h. day as it comes. this blessed and encouraged me so much. thank you barbie!! <3
    Miss Mae recently posted..one word wednesday // 10

May 30, 2013 at 9:31 am

Thanks for stopping by Miss Mae! So thankful the post met you in your time of need. As a fellow waiter, I have been learning the importances of looking only to each day. God will fulfill His promises towards you!

Jacqui
    May 30, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Barbie, I see why you’re reposting this – what an encouragement! Waiting can be so hard. But you’re right about the waiting being active, not losing heart, and how this is a continual life lesson, that ultimately we wait on the Lord until we meet Him face to face. Thanks for sharing, friend. Glad to reconnect after awhile! <3
    Jacqui recently posted..Comment on Grace in the Pain {The Testimony of a Young Widow} by Jacqui

May 30, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Oh friend, so sorry I’ve been missing you. When I came across your blog again I was horrified. I must follow too many blogs. I’m in the process of weeding some out so that I will know if I’m missing someone. Hugs!

Rebecca
    June 16, 2013 at 2:21 pm

This post actually brought me to tears, thank you. We are also in a season of waiting right now (nearly two years of infertility), and I’ve been trying to find verses on waiting lately. Thanks again.

June 16, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Rebecca, I am so thankful you found this post and that it encouraged your heart. Praying that He will strengthen both you and your husband during this season.