12 In Faith

To Live Simply: One Word Check In

(photo credit)

I’ve been putting this post off for a while.  You see, I wanted to be so much farther ahead in walking out this part of my One Word journey — to simply love, to simply live and to simply give.

To simply live, “breathing in fresh air and smelling the fragrance of each new day.  I want to see God in the simple things in life.”

The truth is, I am so far from where I want to be.  It would have been easier for me to skip down to the third part – to simply give.  I am making strides in that area, or so I believe.  But after wrestling with the Lord and giving Him all of my excuses as to why you wouldn’t want to read a post where one admits failure in an area, He gently reminded me that I promised to be real here.  So folks, I will give you the real part of this journey, as frustrating as it is.

I set my expectations high.  I wanted to come here and tell you about how God was messing with my priorities, how my home and my heart have become uncluttered, how I have gotten rid of things and how I was soaking up the sunshine and leaning into the whispers of heaven every time I stepped foot outside my door. But the reality is this pull to live simply is just plain hard.  At least it seems that way, and perhaps it’s because I am the one who complicates it by choosing not to look past the chaos that I can see in front of me.

My life is just as busy as it was at the beginning of the year.  We are faced with many of the same situations as a family and I am still trying to juggle a million things with just two hands.  Even though I cannot yet see the manifestation of a life lived simply, I choose to believe that God is doing a work, in both my heart and my home.  And this is where I wanted to give you my “10 tips to living simply”, but it’s just not happening.

I think I’m okay with admitting that I haven’t yet figured this out.  Sometimes life is just complicated, messy, ugly and better off stuffed into the back of a closet somewhere.  But this is my reality.  As I strive to stay in a place of rest while God reorders my priorities and shows me how to rid my life of the clutter and chaos, I pray that He will lead me down the path of living simply, whatever that may look like.

*Linking up with Melanie today for her One Word check in link up.

Jedidja
    May 15, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Thank you for this powerful, honest blog. I recognize it and give you a hug.
    Jedidja recently posted..Dag Facebook! Vakantie en keuzes maken.

Jennifer
    May 16, 2013 at 12:28 am

I love that He is simple, He is true. He does not waver. I love how you cling to Him, friend. Thank you for how you point me to Him, for strength.

Dawn St Amand Paoletta
    May 16, 2013 at 4:31 am

Oh Barbie, I so love your real! We will get through this year and day, one breath at a time! But I so appreciate you still juggling so well. Mentoring through your life so well. Living in the messy and bravely sharing your heart. Just grateful for you.
    Dawn St Amand Paoletta recently posted..Kylie Bisutti, Victoria’s Secret and a Book Giveaway!

Wanda
    May 16, 2013 at 4:34 am

Thanks Barbie for yielding to God and sharing authentically. Victory doesn’t always look the way we expected but we can be assured that God will get us to the place He ultimately designed for Him.
    Wanda recently posted..Don’t Forget the Be in Your Do

Rosann
    May 16, 2013 at 5:24 am

Oh friend, thank you for keeping it real here. I just love your heart (and you!). I struggle with keeping life simple too. Every time I turn around I’m saying yes to another project or opportunity and there just aren’t enough hours in a day. But, I try to remind myself that I set out on a journey to glorify God and well…if I’m just being still all the time…living simple without any real striving, than I’m missing opportunities to glorify Him. He crafted me exactly the way I am…purpose driven. I really think He wove you together the same way. (((Hugs)))
    Rosann recently posted..A Letter to My Future Son-in-Law

Carrie
    May 16, 2013 at 9:03 am

Oh, I appreciate your honesty and frankness! Sometimes it’s difficult to see the blogs, tweets and updates of those who seem pulled together and living the way I could only hope to. I wanted to be in a better place by now, but it didn’t happen for me either. I look at 20 and 30 somethings and marvel that they understand His truth and live His way – at times I think I’m playing catch up! I read my devotion and it pleads for me to stop looking and planning for the future, to simply live in the moment…in His presence. Not easy for a homeschooling mother of four! I won’t quit trying though! Blessings to you, Barbie!
    Carrie recently posted..Rose Beauty Is Fleeting

Laura Rath
    May 16, 2013 at 9:40 am

Hi Barbie,
    This is only my 2nd year with a One Word, but I am finding that it is a journey that doesn’t end at the end of the year. Last year, my word was trust, and He is still teaching me in that area. This year – praise, and I can already tell what I’m supposed to be learning won’t be wrapped up by December. Maybe we should look at it from a different angle, focusing on the One Word for a year, but knowing it will be a continuous journey. If anything, One Word helps me form new habits of being aware of my focus and studying what Scripture says. Trust was last year’s word for me, but it continues to be a focus for me daily. I’m not sure that it was prior to last year.
    Blessings,
    Laura
    Laura Rath recently posted..Spiritual Deficiency

Jennifer peterson
    May 16, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Oh I love you Barbie, thank you for being real and being you. I too am a mess, I feel I just got school routine and now it’s almost over, sheesh anyway I have seen your pictures and it does look like you have been doing a lot!

Missy
    May 16, 2013 at 1:06 pm

This, “Even though I cannot yet see the manifestation of a life lived simply, I choose to believe that God is doing a work, in both my heart and my home. “, is why enter into your space and am able to take long deep breaths. You are so authentic here, Barbie. I love that. And I am encouraged each time I read the words you write, because so many of them resonate with me right where I am.

Definitely Not Having It All Together Either,
    Missy
    Missy recently posted..Seek First

Child of God
    May 16, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Sometimes Father has a plan to teach us and it takes a whole lifetime, that’s okay. I too am learning lessons that I believe should have been learned a long time ago, yet I still struggle with them.

Blessings hon
    Child of God recently posted..Thank You For Praying!

charis
    May 16, 2013 at 4:27 pm

barbie, i am soooo with you! i have been trying so hard to downsize and simplify, in all areas of life, and it is so hard when life is so full! i think your honesty beautiful and encouraging.
    charis recently posted..a confession

~Karrilee~
    May 16, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I love and so appreciate your honesty, friend! I get it… I really get it (for I shove things in the back of the closet too!) I suspect that you will look back and see just how far you have come in living Simply… give yourself a bit of grace! “Ten tips on Living simply” – now wouldn’t that be nice? 😉 Love you, sweet Barbie!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..When the Choice is Really Yours…