54 In My 5 Minute Fridays

Five Minute Friday: Listen

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and others for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. Just words freely flowing from my heart to yours.

Listen

There is an amazing group of women who I’ve gotten to know over the last year.  We all come together on Thursdays night for the #fmfparty on Twitter.  We chat, share chocolate and coffee, talk about our day, our dreams and challenges.  And then we come together to write, here, all sharing words on a single prompt that connects us together in spirit.  And I come to read, their words touching me deeply, moving my heart and stirring my soul.  I am awakened and challenged, offered hope and joy, all the while longing to know this one more.

As I read your words, do I listen to your heart?

As I read your words, do I hear the depth of your pain and the rush of your joy?

As I read your words, do I walk away knowing you more than I did the day before?

As I read your words, I listen and I ask the Holy Spirit, What is in the heart of this one who comes to share so bravely.  And as I receive your words, I allow them to sink deep into my soul.  I want to know, What moves your heart?

Friends, I am here for you.  I am leaning in closer.  I may not be able to listen with my ears, but I will listen to you with my heart.

Five Minute Friday

Rachael
    June 13, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Aw, you wrote a FMF about FMF! What a sweet idea!
    Rachael recently posted..Confessions of a Good Enough Mom, Five Minute Friday Style: Listen

June 14, 2013 at 7:31 am

Thanks for stopping by Rachael.

Jen Stults
    June 13, 2013 at 10:06 pm

What a lovely take on the prompt, Barbie! 🙂
    Jen Stults recently posted..He Who Has Ears, Let Him Hear

June 14, 2013 at 7:33 am

Thankful for your visit Jen. Have a beautiful weekend.

April
    June 13, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Barbie, you have been such an amazing blessing to me. I absolutely love this post – such a great reminder to listen beyond the words on the screen, to focus on the heart that wrote them, and to reach out, hug, pray, laugh, and share with them. For after all, isn’t that what this blogging journey is all about? Community? Friendship? Relationship? Fellowship? All those ships 😉 Thank you for being a wonderful friend – God has given you such a gift! Happy Friday!!! I’m off to bed…
    April recently posted..Five Minute Friday – Listen

June 14, 2013 at 7:34 am

Awe April, thank you! I love encouraging others, and I love reading your words. Have a lovely weekend!

Rachael
    June 13, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Thank you, Barbie! I believe your heart’s words here because I have read the words of your heart for the past few months. Thank you for reading the words of my heart week after week and for offering encouragement. Blessings to you! Love, Rachael
    Rachael recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Listen

June 14, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Love you my friend! Have a beautiful weekend!

Alia Joy
    June 13, 2013 at 10:22 pm

I love that about you, Barbie. Because I know you really do. You’ve been an encouragement so many times. Just love you, friend and I was so glad to connect even though my tweetchat was mutinous and glitchy and I probably missed a ton. Still, it was nice.
    Alia Joy recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Listen

June 14, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I felt like I was missing so much of the conversation last night too. I love you too my friend. So thankful we are walking this journey together. Blessings!

Mary
    June 14, 2013 at 12:58 am

I echo Alia, Barbie, you really DO do this. When you comment I can feel that you are really trying to listen…deeply. Hugs to you my friend!
    Mary recently posted..5 minute Friday…

June 14, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Oh Mary, you have encouraged me so many times. I always hope that I listen with my heart. Have a blessed weekend.

Mel
    June 14, 2013 at 4:32 am

Love this! Your words are such a blessing today, Barbie…I’m so thankful to be part of this community with you!
    Mel recently posted..Five-Minute Friday: Listen

June 14, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Thanks so much Mel! So thankful our paths crossed through blogging!

Tonya Salomons
    June 14, 2013 at 5:13 am

Oh I’m blubbering… I love that visions… words bright on a screen and before you read offering a prayer to God to help you hear – Just love that. You bless today with this.
    Tonya Salomons recently posted..Five Minute Friday

June 14, 2013 at 10:43 pm

You bless me by coming here to read! Thank you for your friendship through blogging. Have a beautiful weekend.

Linda Stoll
    June 14, 2013 at 5:28 am

that cup wakes me up!
    Linda Stoll recently posted..Whose Show is This Anyway?

June 14, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Me too! It’s a stock photo but I could literally drink from it right off the screen. Happy weekend and thanks for stopping by Linda!

LyndsD
    June 14, 2013 at 5:40 am

Oh sweet Barbie, Your words sink right into my soul. I love your heart and your prayer. There really is such a sweet way to listen through the screen. Such a beautiful way God has given us even more of a chance for authentic community even between the miles and HTML coding. It really can happen and you my dear nailed exactly how. Abundant blessing to you sweetie!

June 14, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Thank you LyndsD! I appreciate you!

Mia
    June 14, 2013 at 5:55 am

Dear Barbie
    Yes, dear friend, you are really a good listener! You speak to us all for how often do we listen with polite ears that do not really hear! How often do we read someone’s post without trying to understand the heart behind the word?
    Much love XX
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..Itching Ears

June 14, 2013 at 10:45 pm

That is my prayer. So often I come to read after a long day, brain tired, and I strive to listen, to really hear the heart of another. That is my prayer. Love you Mia!

Lori Harris
    June 14, 2013 at 5:56 am

Love that cup of coffee…but I love you because you’ve offered this new blogger some encouragement when you didn’t have to- thank you friend. Love that you listen with your heart and then reply with kind words.
    Lori Harris recently posted..Listen {Five Minute Friday and Things We Learned From A Day With Kevon}

June 14, 2013 at 10:46 pm

So thankful I can encourage you! I appreciate you stopping by for a visit. Have a beautiful weekend!

Debbie
    June 14, 2013 at 6:47 am

I love that you listen with your ears but also with …your heart.

Love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..Five Minute Friday ~ Listen

June 14, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Debbie! Thank you for stopping by today. Love seeing your beautiful face here!

Debi @ DebiStangeland.com
    June 14, 2013 at 8:58 am

You’re the best!! It’s so fun to be in community like this wehre people are really listening and hearing one another. I am so grateful to be a part of this with you!
    Debi @ DebiStangeland.com recently posted..Five Minute Friday: LISTEN

June 14, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I feel the same way Debi! It’s such a blessing that I get to be in community with so many amazing women! Hugs!

AJ Collins
    June 14, 2013 at 10:18 am

🙂 Barbie, this was wonderful! I feel the same way, I was thinking about posting a list of the FMF friends I’ve been reading and responding to comments from for the last few months. It’s been so wonderful!!
    AJ Collins recently posted..Are you Listening?

June 14, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Oh do the list! That way I could visit some others. It’s hard to get around to everyone, but I really try to visit as many as I can throughout the week. Love that I get to do community with you. Have a blessed weekend AJ!

Wanda
    June 14, 2013 at 10:40 am

What a lovely heartfelt and touching post Barbie. Reading your words remind to slow this heart and mind of mine down. To lean in closer even if that means I’m doing less but with being more fully present.
    Wanda recently posted..Giving Your Buts the Boot

June 14, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Oh, that’s how I want to be, fully present, giving my full attention to whatever I am doing in the moment. Thanks Wanda for stopping by today!

Ashley
    June 14, 2013 at 11:31 am

Barbie, you are a true blessing to me in the blogging/community world. You have a spirit of Jesus and for uplifting others. Love you!!
    Ashley recently posted..Listen {Five Minute Friday}

June 14, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Ashley, so thankful to have found you through blogging. Your heart for Jesus has touched my heart deeply. Have a blessed weekend.

Rachel Beran
    June 14, 2013 at 11:41 am

Isn’t that what we all want, really? To be not only listened to, but to be heard. Really heard. What a neat post!
    Rachel Beran recently posted..Listen to Me!

June 14, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Thanks Rachel. I so appreciate you stopping by! Blessings!

~Karrilee~
    June 14, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Oh girl…. you and I… one day! One day, my friend… face to face and heart to heart and however He brings that about I am all over it! Love you sweet Barbie!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..Listen – Five Minute Friday

June 14, 2013 at 10:51 pm

I just got the giggles, because I am believing for this day, where I can reach out and hug you and really hear your heart . Oh girl, let’s make it happen! Hugs!

Diane | An Extraordinary Day
    June 14, 2013 at 5:11 pm

What moves my heart? Hmmm.
    That moment when God’s word comes alive for my day and moment. Honesty and real relevance from the heart of another and discovering a sisterhood. Having my words make a difference in someone’s day.
    Is this FMF a closed group, Barbie? I ask and I’m not even on Twitter…. 😉
    Diane | An Extraordinary Day recently posted..Three Extraordinary Tips for Today…

June 14, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Oh Diane, no! You should join us. Visit lisajobaker.com and read through the Five Minute Friday posts. We have the #fmfparty on Twitter every Thursday beginning at 11PM (East Coast time). Then Lisa posts the word prompt each Friday on her blog just shortly after midnight. If you have any more questions, let me know. We would love to have you join us!!!! You would write some amazing posts in five minutes!

Amy P Boyd
    June 14, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Barbie, this is such sweet simple post yet it brought such a rush of tears to my eyes. I love that God brought us all together so that we could listen to the heart on the other side of the screen. Thank you for always sharing your heart with us and taking the time to listen to ours,
    Amy P Boyd recently posted..Can You Listen to Me Now? {Five-Minute Friday}

June 14, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I love this community. So thankful God lead me here! Have a beautiful weekend friend!

Missy
    June 14, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Ever the encourager, Barbie. Such a beautiful heart that you listen with, too.
    Missy recently posted..A Social Story About Shorts

June 14, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Love you Missy girl! Have a blessed weekend!

Dawn St Amand Paoletta
    June 14, 2013 at 7:49 pm

You are a sweet listener and I am grateful for you Barbie. Love that red cup of coffee!
    Dawn St Amand Paoletta recently posted..On Friendship and Listening Well (5 Minute Friday-Listen)

June 14, 2013 at 10:54 pm

That red cup of coffee is a stock photo that I could literally drink from! Love you my friend. Have a beautiful weekend.

Jennifer Peterson
    June 14, 2013 at 8:17 pm

You are so beautiful!! Love you

June 14, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Oh Jennifer! You make me blush! Ha! I love you girl!

Rebecca
    June 15, 2013 at 7:58 am

Blessed to have found you through blogging. Your heart for community and Jesus is contagious. You warm my heart Barbie! Thank you so much for being so faithful in your writing. You are amazing!
    Rebecca recently posted..Fab Five Friday

June 15, 2013 at 8:03 am

Thank you Rebecca! I am blessed to have you here.

Jennifer
    June 15, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Beautiful post, Barbie!
    Jennifer recently posted..Yes, He Listens…

June 17, 2013 at 12:53 am

Thanks Jennifer! Praying you have a blessed week.

Caroline
    June 16, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Barbie, what a great focus on fostering community through listening. Any time you’ve ever commented on my blog, I have always felt you truly read and are listening. You do a wonderful job of that. And thank you for inspiring us all to do the same.
    Caroline recently posted..When You Forget How to Listen to Quiet {Five Minute Friday}

June 17, 2013 at 12:54 am

Awe, thanks so much Caroline! I appreciate you!