34 In Faith

Slowing Down

(photo credit

Do you ever feel like you’re chasing your life?  Like it’s running away from you, instead of you living it?  Life is meant to be lived, to be enjoyed to the fullest.  But lately, it’s been a struggle for me just to get through each day.

I’ve hit a wall.

For a little while now, I’ve been ignoring the gentle nudge of the Holy Spirit to slow down, to be still and to not give in to the pressure to do it all.  After all, I’m superwoman, right?  I work full time, homeschool, manage a household (although failing miserably in that department), have children that need my attention, a husband who needs my affection, ministry commitments, friendships I long to cultivate, and a blog ministry that I desire to see used for the Glory of God.

But superwoman does not exist.  I am but a simple woman who desires to be used in my ordinary, every day life to bring Him glory.

So things have to change.

I’ve been leaning in, asking God how this slow down will affect my life.  I want to remain yielded to His voice and open to His leading.  I know that I cannot continue to burn the candle at both ends and expect to have anything good to bring to Him, or to you for that matter.  Below are 10 things I feel God asking me to do in my pursuit of slow:

1. Be with Him.  The reality is that in a life of busy my quiet time often gets pushed to the side.  I want to be more intentional in spending time with God, leaning into His voice and allowing His Word to wash over me.  I am privileged to work at a Prayer Room, so I want to give the first 30 minutes of my day to Him, just sitting at His feet and waiting in His presence.
  2. Be intentional with my children.  I’m tired of being the “in a minute” mom.  My children are growing up before my eyes and I want to take the couple of hours I have each night before they go to bed and be intentional in building those relationships.
  3. Date my husband.  Sounds simple, but we’ve sort of gotten sidetracked by the demands of life and have forgotten to just get away and enjoy each other.  Dates don’t have to cost much. The purpose is just to be intentional in cultivating my relationship with my husband.
  4. Get back to menu planning.  I’ve been out of this routine for a while now and because of it, I am running the rat race of “what’s for dinner” too often and it’s exhausting.  Planning and shopping ahead will free up some much needed time for me to be at home.
  5. Create a cleaning schedule.  I’ve never needed one before, but now, as it’s all become too much, it’s much needed.  Clean Mama has some amazing printables and tips on how to get things done by tackling just a few things each day.
  6. No-pressure blogging.  I have to admit I’ve been feeling a little pressured in the blogging department.  I love you all so much that I try so hard to read you every day. But it’s becoming overwhelming. If I am to remain a good steward of what God has given to me, I have to realize that I cannot possibly get around to all of you every day. So reading and commenting may come less frequently, but I won’t abandon you!
  7. Keep the Sabbath.  Beginning next Sunday, I will invoke a Sabbath day of rest and refrain from social media and blogging each week on Sundays.  I want to use that time to refocus, more in depth study of His Word, enjoy my family and perhaps read a book (which leads me to the next point).
  8. Read.  I’ve lost my love for reading, and most of the time I’m too tired to stay awake to fully comprehend what I am reading.  I have so many books saved on my Kindle Cloud that I want to take time to read them, as well as real paper books.  I’ve tried countless times to build a summer reading list and have yet to get started.
  9. Take a walk.  I want to start incorporating exercise into my routine, at least a few days a week.  It will not only be good for my body, but good for my soul as I get out and embrace the beauty of creation that is all around me.
  10. Go to bed earlier.  I am a night owl, and do my best writing at night.  However, I’m not getting any younger and it’s taking a toll on my body.  I will need to adjust how and when I write so that I’m not burning the midnight oil each night.

Sometimes life just needs a little adjustment.  I hope that all of these little changes will allow me the rest, refocus and recharge that I so desparetely need.

How about you my friends.  Are you feeling the nudge to slow down?  What are some things that you can do today to help you to move from doing it all to simply being?  I would love it if you would share with me in the comments below.

Beauty in His Grip Button

Elizabeth
    June 24, 2013 at 8:25 am

Sounds like some really wise adjustments, friend. We all need course corrections now and then, me included!
    Elizabeth recently posted..A little getaway gratitude…

June 24, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Truth! So needed, these times of rest.

Sarah
    June 24, 2013 at 8:27 am

Yep. been there. right now. Its as if we are learning the same … Just chucked my lists for the only ‘to do’ that really accomplishes much.

Kinda of liking our momma notes. I do hope you’ll join us again and link up. Wanna join us? Slip your fave recipe, notes of encouragement, birthday pics, all things gloriously mom, into the link up. Just moms. Sharing our notes. Creating a melody.

Be blessed bunches,
    Sarah

June 24, 2013 at 8:56 am

Hi Sarah! Yes, I plan to link up my Monday Fun Days post, which will go live tonight. Blessings!

April
    June 24, 2013 at 8:28 am

Barbie. Big hugs to you today!!!! I know what you’re feeling. Been there. Have tried to slow down, but have generally failed. Cutting back my blogging to just weekdays has taken a lot of pressure off. I’m also giving myself a lot if grace in the cleaning/housekeeping department. We are still moving into the house, so there are still boxes everywhere and so much to do. I have to remind myself – and my hubby – that it doesn’t all need to be done right away. We have time. I hope you find some peace in the new routine and slow down of life. Happy Monday!!

June 24, 2013 at 11:21 pm

I remember a couple of years ago when we moved, after living in our home for 16 years. It took us a while to settle in. I think I still have a box or two in the garage labeled “unimportant” that I may have to decide to look inside at some point. Have a blessed week.

Beth
    June 24, 2013 at 8:31 am

A great list, Barbie and I really think God wants me to pay close attention to what you’ve shared today. I’ve read many messages about slowing down recently so I think He’s making a point. Today I’ve committed to ignorning whatever else is on my to-do list and going to watch my hubby play some softball! And this morning I made sure my morning routine went back to spending time in His word. Yes, sometimes life needs an adjustment! Praying for you friend as you seek rest. Blessings, Beth
    Beth recently posted..For your Sunday

June 24, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Thank you so much Beth. Glad you decided to get outside and enjoy your husband’s ball game.

Debbie
    June 24, 2013 at 9:33 am

I’m tired just reading your list. No wonder you need a break! I remember hearing Beth Moore say something that hit me. She said that in order to say yes to what God called her to do, she had to say no to many other things. She’s a popular sanguine but she cannot take lots of time to do lunches with girlfriends. Something had to give. I always remember that as I love to do many things too.

One thing that’s helped me get back on track with exercise and reading is to combine them. I use my Kindle and have a display stand on my treadmill. This way when I get up in the morning I have everything ready and I hop on the treadmill. My Kindle is loaded with books I love to read. When I’m finished I cool down sitting on my front patio with my water and my Bible and journal. It gets hot in Phoenix but early in the morning I get to still be cool, listen to the sound of the birds chirping and spend time in prayer and Bible study. It suits me perfectly as then I need to get ready for work.

I appreciate all that you wrote here my friend. And sometimes I don’t get to visit all my blog friends but I try to catch up when I can.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..The Struggle for Control

June 24, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Beth Moore is a wise woman, as are you. I don’t have a treadmill, but I love the idea of combining exercise with reading. Perhaps on my walks I could listen to sermons or books. Have a lovely week.

Joan
        June 25, 2013 at 6:18 am

I’m going to jump in here following Debbie’s comment. She voiced exactly what I was thinking! Combining things is a great idea! I need to try it, too. I love to read, but have been hesitant to try it on the treadmill. But, just reading that “Debbie can do it!” is encouraging me to try. Then, you mention listening to sermons or books when you’re walking…that’s a great idea, too. I do listen to worship music when on the treadmill, which does help me to stay focused on Him for the day. Now I just need to be more diligent it having this in my regular schedule. Your organized list above is encouraging me to set some priorities to help me not get overwhelmed!

Blessings, Joan
        Joan recently posted..Sharing His Beauty Linky

Wanda
    June 24, 2013 at 10:11 am

When I read you list, I feel as if I should have no problem keeping afloat. But I too have my own list of things that makes me begin to feel pressured. Yet I”m grateful for a God that lovely corrects us and puts us back on the right path.
    Wanda recently posted..Watch Where You Pour Out Your Soul

June 24, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Me too! He’s so gentle and patient with us. Thanks for stopping by Wanda!

Carrie
    June 24, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I too want to be more intentional – spiritually, physically, and materially. I’m ashamed to say that I’ve not succeeded well in improving my relationship with the Lord. Too often Bible reading and listening has not happened daily. A Joyce Meyer broadcast this a.m. reiterated to me the importance to grow that intimacy! Recently I’ve taken steps to improve my diet and my attitude towards health and wellness. Next I want to use these same baby steps to detoxify myself from the Internet and blogging world. I love to blog but it can be a serious time drainer. I also try to keep the Sabbath restful, to include an easy meal and zero housework! I’ll keep you in my thoughts as you move forward on these fabulous goals! Blessings!
    Carrie recently posted..Who Fortifies You?

June 24, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Thank you so much Carrie! I appreciate your prayers.

Adoption Mama
    June 24, 2013 at 12:55 pm

So needed to hear this today. I’m right there with you. It seems at times I am at the top of the mountain and other times under the rock at the lowest below sea level place. Thanks for these reminders.
    Adoption Mama recently posted..Amazing Mercy!

June 24, 2013 at 11:27 pm

So thankful you stopped by. Have a beautiful week.

Mia
    June 24, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Dear Barbie
    Good for you, dear friend! May I suggest that you and the children clean the house together. That might make the bonding much sweeter (although at first it might be accompanied by a few moans and groans). I love the idea of dating your husband again. That is sooooo… important.
    Blessings XX
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..The Rain Dance

June 24, 2013 at 11:28 pm

I love the idea of cleaning house with my kids, but since they are teens they are either seldom home (youth activities) or have serious attitudes. But they all have jobs they need to do around the house. Although I find my job list growing. Hugs!

susan@avintagefarmwife
    June 24, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I totally understand what you are saying. One thing I have been giving up is reading all the blogs I used to read….and writing many posts. I don’t’ want to give it up, but I am not going to force myself when I don’t’ really have anything I want to say. Your goals sound great and I applaud you as you go about accomplishing them!

June 24, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Yes! I never want to write a post simply to write a post. I want my words to drip with the Holy Spirit and have meaning and purpose. Praying you have a lovely week my friend.

Ashley
    June 24, 2013 at 5:20 pm

My sweet friend, I can completely relate to this. Your goals are so refreshing and inspiring!
    Ashley recently posted..Bringing True Friendship to Light.

June 24, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Thank you Ashley!

Lea
    June 24, 2013 at 6:12 pm

What a great post and while my life isn’t all that busy at this point, I still needed to read your list of 10. I definitely need to incorporate some of them in my life. I love the one about taking Sundays off from social media. I’m going to have to ponder doing that myself. Good for you Barbie! May you have much successful and benefit from making some changes in your life. Happy week!
    Lea recently posted..Miscellany Monday

June 24, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Thank you Lea. I am praying for refreshing and renewed focus. I am glad you stopped by today.

Wendy
    June 24, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Yes. Very much so. I am there with you friend. Began for me at the start of our summer. I have been spending more time with my family and less time writing. More time reading and less time writing. Soaking life in and less leaking it out. On the page anyway. I am leaking on the people around me right now. My family, friends, the mommas I gather with at Bible study, and the kids I lead on Sundays. That’s where my words are found. Maybe tomorrow they will be on the page. Maybe next week. He will let me know. But I am not restless in that. I am content. Much love to you sweet friend!
    Wendy recently posted..Link Love – My Weekly Favorite Online Reads

June 24, 2013 at 11:31 pm

“Soaking life in and less leaking it out” — THIS is what I need. AMEN my friend!

Jen
    June 25, 2013 at 8:01 am

Loved the top-ten list. Especially the ‘date my husband.’ I think we’ll plan one for my birthday this weekend! 🙂

June 26, 2013 at 10:48 pm

It’s your birthday this weekend? Mine is on Wednesday!

Melissa B
    June 25, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I enjoyed your post. It reminds me to slow down more often, and spend more time with family and friends. It seems like with all the different obligations that we all have..its easy to “stay busy” all the time.
    Reading helps me to slow down quite a bit. =)

Have a great day!

June 26, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Reading use to slow me down, but now I just fall asleep when I read. 🙂

Roxy
    June 26, 2013 at 10:53 am

Hello, I just wrote a post myself with the same theme. I agree most of the pressure is self inflicted. You sound really sincere and and know your doing all things well because He has called and covered you! I love how you asked of Him for direction. Lord help the both of us to slow down and take pleasure in You….And I ask that you will bless our blogs and grow them in your time and Your strength AMEN!
    Blessings, Roxy
    Roxy recently posted..Balancing Our Time

June 26, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Roxy, thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I will head over your way to read your post.

Lyli@ 3-D Lessons for Life
    June 28, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Wise lady, I love the ideas you are sharing here!
    Lyli@ 3-D Lessons for Life recently posted..Lessons Learned in 3D — Wrapping Up