The Weekend Brew: The Road To Maturity

The Misty Moody Walk (in B&W)

(photo credit)

Disclosure of Material Connection: This post contains “affiliate links”. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

One of my most favorite devotionals is Hinds Feet On High Places by Hannah Hurdard.  I can so relate to the story of much afraid, how she took the journey away from her fearing family in to the high places of the shepherd. It is an allegory of the Christian life from salvation to maturity.

Every process of our journey is a growing experience. Perhaps you’ve had a beautiful path laid out for you, as your feet have been firmly planted on good soil for as long as you can remember.  Or perhaps you got off to a rocky start, sometimes tracking through mud and rock to get to the high places.  Or perhaps you are standing, frozen in your tracks, afraid to move, for fear of where your path may lead you.

Be assured, my friend, that the Good Shepherd is watching over you.  No matter how the road looks to you, know that He will give you the grace and the strength to journey to the high places.  This process of maturity is often hard, often painful, but most certainly rewarding.

It is God that girds me with strength, and makes my way perfect. 33He makes my feet like hinds’ feet, and sets me on my high places.  (Psalm 18:32-33)

Now it’s your turn to share encouragement here at The Weekend Brew.
1. Share a post, photo, scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages. (Please only link one post. Multiple posts from the same site will be deleted.)
2. Grab the button to use in your post, or simply link here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others if you have time).

1. Elizabeth says:

I remember how hard it was for me to get through that book the first time I read it. There were so many deep, and not always easy to accept, lessons in it.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Psalm 96:6…

• Barbie says:

I am actually trying to work through it again. The first time I read it I was a new Christian and sort of skipped over the hart parts. But I am trying to read it slowly and ask the Lord to speak to those places in my heart that still need healing. Blessings my friend!

2. Mia says:

Dear Barbie
    I don’t think the road to the high places into the life of our sweet Lord is ever easy!! Our Pappa refines us in the refiner’s fire of suffering to enable us to leave the world and the flesh behind and to enter into the wonderful heavenly Jerusalem! But oh, my friend, it is so worth it!
    Much love XX
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..A Falling Star

3. Denise says:

I hope I can follow His plan on my journey into maturity and develop a walk that involves habits of trust, praise, and hope; thankful for all His amazing grace!

Have a blessed and joyful weekend Barbie!
    Denise
    Denise recently posted..Delightful

4. Loved that book when i read it… I need to find it and re-read it. Hope you have a refreshing weekend!
    Lyli @ 3dLessons4Life recently posted..Guidepost

5. your photo says so much in the quietness and life of it – I love it! I read Hinds Feet in High Places, the children’s version, with my boys one season – they loved it, too. I think this summer I’m going to pull out my beautifully illustrated inbetween children’s edition of Pilgrim’s Progress – they have a lot in common:) Wishing you an abundance of the Father’s blessings this weekend!
    bluecottonmemory recently posted..The Silver Lining

6. Elizabeth says:

I haven’t read this book in many years. I’ll have to blow off the dust and add it to my summer reading pile. Thanks for the reminder.

7. Lea says:

I agree with some of the others, that devotional book is deep, deep but so, so full of truths. I have had it for several years and need to pull it back out and use it again.

I have found that it is through those rocky spots of life that the Lord shows Himself so real to me and as tough as they are, they are times of real spiritual growth in my life.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend!
    Lea recently posted..Friday Fragments

8. Carrie says:

I adored this book! My girls and I read it aloud together and so many nights, the words left me with goose bumps and wide eyes. I too can relate to Much Afraid. And I guess you could say I’ve fit all three descriptions: rocky start, some redirected footing and now frozen with fear! And many days I hold fast to the wonderful image of Our Good Shepherd – the One who’ll never leave a single one of us behind! Thank you for writing this. Many blessings!
    Carrie recently posted..Returning To An Old Love

• Barbie says:

This book has been such a blessing in my life. I am working through it again, with a whole new perspective than I did when I first read it years ago. So thankful for the Lord’s gentle leading in my life.

9. child of God says:

Hi Barbie.
    This looks like an interesting devotional, I checked it out and purchased it for my kindle. 🙂

I will get into it when I have a bit of time on my hands.

Blessings,
    child of God recently posted..Baptize My Heart

10. Deb Huffaker says:

Thanks, Ms. Barbie for letting me join you all this week. I haven’t read the devotional. I just recently received a Kindle as a gift, so I will look for it. HOPE you have a blessed SONday and rest of the week, too!
    Deb Huffaker recently posted..SONday Morning Song – It Is Finished

11. Debbie says:

I remember reading that book years ago. And I too am in the midst of reading about spiritual growth and maturity. There are times when I continue to struggle with the same sins …again. But God in His mercy offers me grace. How thankful I am for that. And I want to grow spiritually as I learn to abide in Him.

Blessings and love my friend,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..My Morning Quiet Time

• Barbie says:

He’s so patient with us, isn’t He? So loving, gentle and compassionate. Praying you have a blessed week my friend.

12. Hinds Feet in High Places is one of my all-time favorites! Thanks for hosting & God bless.
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Water and Oil: Healing of Body and Spirit (Part 2: Oil)

13. Rosann says:

Spiritual maturity is actually something that’s been on my mind a lot lately. I’ll have to take a peek at this book. I know God is definitely working to grow my spiritual maturity to higher levels. I just wonder at times if I’m doing my part the way He’d prefer. Lol! 🙂
    Rosann recently posted..What to Expect at ChristianSuperMom.com This Summer

• Barbie says:

You will love the book Rosann. I am considering doing a blog link up about it. Maybe when life calms down. It could be a team effort!

14. charis says:

love this book!
    charis recently posted..just thinking out loud