15 In Homeschooling

2013-2014 Curriculum Choice – (8th Grade)

There is one thing I want to be as I head into the new school year, and that’s prepared.  When I began homeschooling this year, I changed curriculums for the first two months of school and I think we pretty much tossed English out the window because I couldn’t settle on anything that I liked.  Granted, the life of a full-time working mom demands flexibility, especially for this homeschooling newbie!  But we could have accomplished so much more had I been a little more prepared.

If you will remember from this post, I had most of my curriculum picked a couple of months ago.  However, I have made some changes.  Here now is my final curriculum choice for my daughter’s upcoming 8th grade year.  My goal was to have everything bought and received my mid-July, and to have my master calendar done by the first week of August.  I am in good shape!

Math – Teaching Textbooks Pre-Alegebra

My daughter loves this curriculum.  Last year she managed to do all of the work using the CD’s, without ever really touching the workbook.  If she needed to work a problem, she used scratch paper.  This year, I will purchase the workbook as I believe it will be needed for pre-algebra.

Science – God’s Design for Heaven and Earth Science (Answers in Genesis)

We did God’s Design for the Human Body this past year to round out our Life Science and anatomy and, although this was not her favorite, she enjoyed it enough to continue on with the series this next year.

History, Vocabulary & Literature – America The Beautiful (Notgrass)

I am extremely excited to begin this history curriculum.  A friend and I went in together to purchase it (It’s about $120).  I will use it this coming year, then she will use it the following year for her daughter, and hand it off to me the year after that for my son.  This is a comprehensive history curriculum which includes biblical thinking, map and timeline work, vocabulary, creative writing, and literature.

Grammar – Abeka Grammar & Composition II

This is one area where I was undecided.  I wanted a little bit more than just Easy Grammar. Although I’ve never used an Abeka product before, I found this for sale in a homeschool forum and it looks good.  Hopefully it will serve it’s purpose.

Bible

We will be working through the Leading God’s Generation series of book studies.  I stumbled upon this and know my daughter will enjoy it.  Each series has a student journal that they work through.  We will begin with Hearing God’s Voice, studying Proverbs and Psalm 119. You can view a sample here.  The other two books we will do this next year are Thinking God’s Way (Philippians, Romans 12 and The Sermon on the Mount), and Doing God’s Will (James and topical passages). I was able to download all of the journals for about $5.00 each, saving me about $30 total!

I have to say that I am feeling very prepared and looking forward to starting the school year in just about 8 weeks.  I think summer is too short, don’t you?

Have you finished purchasing your curriculum for the coming year?  I would love to know what you will be doing.  Please share in the comments below.

LyndsD
    July 1, 2013 at 5:24 am

Your curriculum sounds fantastic! We almost picked the same Answers in Genesis for Science this year but are still trying to nail down a particular science. I’d love to know how you girls like this one this year. I have to get our curriculum up as well. We start in a week. Eeekk!

July 1, 2013 at 8:24 am

I can’t say the science is exactly what I was looking for, but we aren’t ready for the broader sciences yet. I love the biblical values of Answers in Genesis. Have a great day!

Dawn St Amand Paoletta
    July 1, 2013 at 6:50 am

Hi Barbie! THanks for sharing these choices…as you know our girls are the same age-ish. My Girl is an October baby. She is also using Teaching Textbooks. Since we used Saxon this year (Pre-Algebra) we chose the ALgebra, for TT. We went with SOnlight as my daughter is a BIG reader. I am hoping it will be a great fit. We are also going to try the Homeschool Rosetta Stone French course.
    I think I will do a post like this and share. I would like to find some homeschool links to be check out. We also left out the Science until I decide whether to do one our local group Home School Science opportunities or find something that works. Science is our least favorite…although I personally like the more focused Sciences- general science is too broad for me. I will check out those you shared. I am also looking forward to getting started YET will certainly enjoy my SUmmer knowing we are set with a plan and the resources we need to start the year well. Pray we all finish well too! Love you!
    Dawn St Amand Paoletta recently posted..One Night in Boston (How to lose a car, make a friend and find God in 24 hours) Part 1

Dawn St Amand Paoletta
      July 1, 2013 at 6:52 am

PS, would you mind if I use your banner at the bottom (from this post) with a link back here to this post for others to see what you are using?

I love that banner too! So cute.
      Dawn St Amand Paoletta recently posted..No Bad Beach Days {The Requirements of Friendship}

July 1, 2013 at 8:22 am

Of course you may use the banner. I also have a button, of the same, which may look better in your post. I’ll send it to you! Blessings!

July 1, 2013 at 8:21 am

Science and Lang Arts. have always been the hardest for me to settle on. Sonlight but was unaffordable for me to purchase as an entire package!

Nita
    July 1, 2013 at 9:59 am

Sounds great. I need something for my 7th grader that will help keep both my husband and I on track with the curriculum.

July 1, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Thanks for stopping by Nita. I hope you find something that will work for your child.

April
    July 1, 2013 at 7:32 pm

This is so inspiring, Barbie! My son will start preschool at our local Lutheran school. They run a preschool through 8th grade, but we will be taking it year by year. I have been contemplating homeschooling, but I admit it’s crazy intimidating, and whenever I start looking into it, I get so overwhelmed I throw my hands up in the air and give up. I assume it’s a lot like cloth diapering, though… once you develop your routine and make your decisions on products… you just find your groove 🙂 Happy Monday — you look like you’re all ready for this next school year!!!
    April recently posted..God Uses the Ordinary – Chasing History

July 1, 2013 at 8:21 pm

It isn’t easy, that’s for sure, especially since I work during the day. We school on Mondays, evenings and some weekends. Works for us. If you feel led to homeschool, you totally can do it. I am living proof! I’m sending you a message on Facebook. Check it tonight, okay?

Christy
    July 2, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Thank you for showing us your choices and what you do. Your website/blog here is adorable!!! So creative! I am a brand new blogger and I can tell you, I really enjoyed your post! Thanks for sharing. You can check out my site at http://www.theinspiredpath.blogspot.com/

Blessings,
    Christy 🙂
    Christy recently posted..My first step

July 4, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Thank you Christy! I stopped over to your blog and tried to comment, but I’m not sure it’s showing up. Praying you are having a beautiful 4th of July!

Carrie
    July 4, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Barbie, I’m thinking of using TT for my oldest daughter. I switched curriculum with her and since it isn’t her strongest subject, we fell a little behind others her age. I noticed your daughter didn’t use the workbook. Are the CDs similar to Khan Academy – where the lesson is taught and then there are problems to solve? Just kicking around the idea of not actually purchasing the workbook if it’s unnecessary. Thanks!
    Carrie recently posted..Rich Reward For A Husband’s Toil

July 4, 2013 at 11:05 pm

What grade is your daughter in? I found we didn’t need the workbook for 6th grade math. The CD has an instructor’s voice who teachers the problem. There are games and exercises and then the problems are solved on line. My daughter will however be in pre-alegebra next year so I’m thinking a workbook may be necessary. We really do enjoy this curriculum.

Tina
    July 5, 2013 at 1:02 am

Thanks for sharing this! There were several there that I’d never heard of. I’ve got a 4th and a 1st grader this year, along with a 3 yr. old and an infant, so it should be an interesting year! 🙂 This will be our third year doing Sonlight history, science, and readers with the oldest, and the first year with the second. My oldest loves doing schoolwork and is such an avid reader that Sonlight isn’t nearly enough for her (isn’t that bizarre?!!) so we add a lot of other stuff. We do Singapore math and a lot of notebooking. I post some of their writing at Desperate Homeschoolers including their Five Minute Friday contributions and book reports, and I hope to do even more of that this year and to get a community of kids going there who can safely share their writing and creative projects with each other. I’m really excited about a new Bible curriculum we’re trying this year called Bible Study Guide for All Ages. It has everybody from the 3 yr old up through mom and dad studying the same thing at age-appropriate levels.
    Hope everybody has a magnificent schoolyear!
    Tina @ Mommynificent