18 In Faith

Correcting My Vision

(photo credit)

I’ve been putting it off for months, years actually.  But I’ve come to a point where I can no longer ignore it.  Slowly, it has gotten worse and I’ve had to realize that it isn’t worth the struggle or the strain.  I simply had to give in.

I had to get new glasses.

Not just one pair, but two.  At my age, and because I need help to see close up and far away, one of the options I had was to get bifocals.  I wasn’t ready for them yet.  I have the mindset that bifocals are for old people and I would like to think that I am 47 years young.  The reality is that I have had poor eyesight most of my life, but have ignored the fact that I needed to consistently wear corrective lenses in order to see well.  So I opted for two pairs: one for close up (reading and computer usage) and one for distance (mostly driving).

My new glasses arrived on my birthday last week, just in time for my license to expire.  I stood in line at the DMV for two hours, ON MY BIRTHDAY, and passed the vision test (thanks to my new glasses).  Now, I can drive comfortably and actually read the road signs before I am right up on them.  And my close up pair is making me wonder how I managed to do computer work all these years without them.

This has all got me thinking.  When we cannot see clearly, we need corrective lenses to sharpen our vision.  In our spiritual lives, we do not always see clearly.  Things may not appear as they really are, and God does not always give us the bigger picture.  Yet, He desires to give us the eyes to see what we need to see, and how we need to see it.  God wants to give us corrective spiritual lenses to sharpen our vision.  He does not want us to go through life struggling and straining to see.

God has given us His Word as our corrective lens.  We must put it on and use it, on a daily basis, so that our eyes will be opened to His will and to His ways.  We must also use our spiritual lens to help us to see the path on which we must walk.  Without a sharp and clear vision, we could end up on the wrong side of the road, or off the desired path of God’s will altogether.  When we do not spend time in His word, our vision becomes cloudy, foggy and often times dark.

Open my eyes that I may see
wonderful things in your law.  (Psalm 119:18)

I am thankful that I now have a means for which to view my world more clearly, without straining or struggling.  Just like my corrective lenses, I must put on the Word of God each day so that my eyes will be opened to all that He desires for me.  I don’t ever want to miss God due to blurred vision.

How about you my friend.  Does your vision need correcting?  How has God’s Word made your vision more clearer? I would love for you to share with me in the comments below.

Beauty in His Grip Button

Missy
    July 8, 2013 at 3:33 am

Oh Barbie! I so hear you. 41 years young here, and I’m inching toward a desperate need of bifocals, but I h e an even greater need for God’s Word to sustain me. Better than carrots, that’s for sure! 😉 This was beautiful, Barbie!

July 10, 2013 at 12:55 am

Thank you Missy!

~Karrilee~
    July 8, 2013 at 3:44 am

So beautiful, my friend! I love this connection of our vision and our need for Him to come alongside sometimes to correct it for us!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..Five Minute Friday – Beautiful

July 10, 2013 at 12:55 am

Praying you’re having a great start to your week my friend.

~ linda
    July 8, 2013 at 9:28 am

Amen! This is so perfect for me and a post for me to ponder and live! Thanks and may His way be ours. Caring through Christ, ~ linda
    ~ linda recently posted..Each Day

July 10, 2013 at 12:56 am

Amen Linda!

Elizabeth
    July 8, 2013 at 11:54 am

I need new glasses too. I normally wear contacts, but haven’t had new glasses in a bunch of years. I hesitate to buy them because these trifocals with the necessary special thin lenses will cost about $800!!!
    On a serious note, I was thinking in addition to His word, God also uses other people, books, circumstances, etc. to correct our vision of His as well. The more time I spend thinking about Him and communicating with Him, the more of Himself He shows me.
    Elizabeth recently posted..Just the Before

July 10, 2013 at 12:57 am

So true! God uses so many good things to help to correct our vision. Have a blessed tomorrow!

bluecottonmemory
    July 8, 2013 at 11:54 am

If God were an eye doctor – and I was His patient – I think He would think I was His best customer – because I am constantly needing readjustment in my vision (or is that recalibration) – I am so glad He doesn’t get exasperated, but just continues to gently readjust.
    bluecottonmemory recently posted..When the Daily Grind Becomes Sacred and Holy

July 10, 2013 at 12:57 am

He’s so patient, isn’t He?

Lea
    July 9, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I’m afraid my vision needs adjusting way more than it should. What a great post and reminder of how important it is for our vision to be 20/20 when it comes to our Lord and Savior. And, it’s available, just for the asking! Sweet blessings Barbie!
    Lea recently posted..Miscellany Monday

July 10, 2013 at 12:58 am

He wants us to have 20/20 vision. All we have to do is ask! AMEN!

Joan
    July 9, 2013 at 5:16 pm

God’s word always makes things clear for me… Sometimes He has shown me things I didn’t even want to see! lol But, His way is the best way and I am so glad that with Him, I see clearly!

Blessings, Joan
    Joan recently posted..Sharing His Beauty Linky!

July 10, 2013 at 12:59 am

AMEN! His way is the best. So thankful for clear vision!

Diana Denis
    July 9, 2013 at 5:30 pm

I pray for my vision ALL the time. I pray to see Him clearly. I never prayed this verse before. Thrilled to have it in my arsenal!

And, I’m so sorry I missed your birthday. Happy belated birthday! Praying that your spiritual vision will always be 20/20. Sending you great big birthday hugs and lots of love!
    Diana Denis recently posted..IDENTITY THEFT – A $10 MISTAKE

July 10, 2013 at 12:59 am

Thanks so much Diana!

Ann
    July 10, 2013 at 9:17 am

Hi, Barbie! Well, I’ve had bifocals for several years now…guess that makes me old. LOL! I wouldn’t do very well with 2 pairs of glasses. I lose my one pair all the time. I know what you mean, though. I don’t often like these signs that I am in need of “correction”, visually and spiritually. But improved vision helps us see and know His will for our lives more clearly.
    Blessings, Ann @ Christ in the Clouds
    Ann recently posted..The Blessing(and Heartache) of a Family

Beth @ My Destiny
    July 11, 2013 at 3:17 am

Amen Barbie! And ahem, where are the pics of you in your new glasses? 😉

Even with physical glasses, it is always amazing when God opens our eyes to something spiritually. We definitely need His Word and His perspective.

Bless you!