Five Minute Friday: Beautiful

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and others for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. Just words freely flowing from my heart to yours.

Beautiful

Beautiful.  It’s a word that still seems empty and void to me most of the time.  Growing up, I don’t remember being told I was beautiful by those who I was surrounded by.  As a teen, I was told I was beautiful, then discarded like a piece of trash on the sidewalk.  I came to know the Lord and I wanted so much to believe that I was who He said I was — beautiful.  But I came with a warped perception of beauty, and a lot of guilt and shame from my past.

Today, I am trying to grasp the fact that I am beautiful, simply because I am His.  My beauty has nothing to do with my past, my choices, my circumstances or my outward appearance. For only God can take something from the dirt and mire of life and make it beautiful.  I am thankful that He takes me as a lump of clay — bruised, broken, and discarded — and is forming me into something beautiful.

When I don’t feel loved
He calls me His Beloved One.

I am my beloved’s and my beloved is mine. (Song of Solomon 6:3)

When I feel ugly,
He reminds me that He is captivated by just one glance of my eye.

You have captivated my heart, my sister, my bride;
you have captivated my heart with one glance of your eyes,
with one jewel of your necklace.  (Song of Solomon 4:9)

When I don’t feel beautiful,
He reminds me that I am.

My beloved speaks and says to me: “Arise, my love, my beautiful one, and come away..” (Song of Solomon 2:10)

*Scripture verses and photo added after the timer dinged.

Five Minute Friday

1. denise says:

your beauty shines brightly.
    denise recently posted..FMF-Beautiful

2. Jen says:

I love it: “I am beautiful, simply because I am His.” So, so true!
    Jen recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Beautiful

3. Tina says:

We would do well to post this on our bathroom mirrors, I think! Thank you for sharing!
    Have a magnificent weekend!
    Tina @ Mommynificent and Desperate Homeschoolers
    Tina recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Beautiful

4. Rachael says:

Your writing is beautiful! And so is your heart 🙂
    Rachael recently posted..Confessions of a Good Enough Mom: Battle Ground

5. Such a good reminder of where true beauty lies. I appreciate the truth and the wisdom of your lovely words!

6. Joanne Viola says:

This was beautiful! “I am beautiful simply because I am His.” Amazing truth. May we walk in that today. Thank you for sharing this with us all. I visited from Lisa Jo’s this morning 🙂 The disclaimer about the timer made me chuckle. I am glad that you added them though as they were powerful reminders today.
    Happy Friday!
    Joanne
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Beautiful

7. Debbie says:

I love how you replace thoughts with what God’s Word says. You are truly beautiful Barbie. I know that and I met you face to face.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..Five Minute Friday ~ Beautiful

8. Kim says:

“I am beautiful simply because I am His.” Love this! If only we could wrap this around ourselves and wear it like a shield for when the world wants to tell us what beautiful is. Your post makes me think of the lyrics to a Gungor song ; “You make beautiful things, You make beautiful things out of the dust; You make beautiful things, You make beautiful things out of us.” Great post!
    Kim recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Beautiful

• Barbie says:

Thank you Kim. Yes, I know the Gungor song well and it was the inspiration for this post. Have a lovely weekend.

9. Linda Stoll says:

we’re tracking on the same heart-thought today, my sister. and thankful we are, yes? for all that He has done for us …
    Linda Stoll recently posted..Redeemed . Reclaimed . Remade

10. kendal says:

this truth? crucial to our lives in christ. great post!
    kendal recently posted..when beautiful is ugly

11. April says:

You bring such beauty and joy to my life, Barbie. I hope you know how blessed I feel to count you as a friend! The scars will one day fade with His healing touch. 🙂 Love you!
    April recently posted..Five Minute Friday – Beautiful

• Barbie says:

Thank you April. I feel the same way about you. You’ve enriched my life and help to make it beautiful! Hugs!

12. Amy P Boyd says:

Barbie, I can’t tell you how much I needed these words today. I needed the reminder that I am beautiful simply because of Him and for no other reason.
    Amy P Boyd recently posted..You Are Beautiful {Five-Minute Friday}

13. I totally get this Barbie. I am at that place now where I am doing my best to let God be the one to tell me I am beautiful because He loves me and I belong to Him.

Thanks for the reminder 🙂
    Jennifer Sikora recently posted..Five Minute Friday – Beautiful

14. Mia says:

Dear Barbie
    This is just too beautiful! Yes, dear friend, He looks at your still and quiet spirit which is true beauty in His eyes. What I just love about the Song of Songs is how it tells us what a great Lover of our hearts our Beloved is.
    Blessings to you XX
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..A Gate Called Beautiful

15. ~Karrilee~ says:

Girl… every time I come here… I find Beauty! I love the message in this post – that we are Beautiful inside – because He is inside… but sweet friend let me tell you that you are Beautiful outside as well… because, always – what is inside, leaks out… and Jesus’ Love and Grace and Joy shine right on through! I too heard that song from Gungor as I was reading this and oh how true it is! He really DOES make Beautiful things out of us!

Love you, friend!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..Five Minute Friday – Beautiful

• Barbie says:

You always encourage my heart with your comments! I appreciate you and the beauty you bring to my life!

16. Rhea says:

God has made all His creation beautiful and we need to believe this that we ourselves are beautiful because we are His 🙂

Happy Friday!
    Rhea recently posted..{five minute friday} beautiful

17. You are beautiful, I hope you never forget it. Thank you for sharing this, I’m sure growing up without hearing uplifting words about yourself was very difficult. Praise God that He brought you to Himself and is working His healing in your life.

Stopping by from FMF, have a great weekend!
    Victoria {365 Days of Thanksgiving} recently posted..Day 26 – Beautiful {Five Minute Friday}

18. Sarah says:

You are beautiful Barbie! It’s crazy to think that God loves us sooo incredibly much that He can’t stand to be away from us. It must break His heart when His beautiful daughters cannot see how beautiful they truly are. The world has distorted beauty. But the Lord knows where true beauty lies. We are all fearfully and wonderfully made, and beautiful in His eyes because of that. God bless you today sister! 🙂

19. Ceil says:

Oh yes, you are beautiful because God made you, but also because you try to share your light with so many. Don’t forget that! If you don’t have beauty, then you can’t give it…and you do give it!

Happy Friday,
    Ceil
    Ceil recently posted..Beautiful

20. Oh thank you, I loved this and needed this today!!! AND you are beautiful!! You are one of the most beautiful persons I have met. I am grateful that we crossed paths.

21. Oh yes… I need this reminder all the time… that I am who He says I am – Beautiful. Thank you for such honesty here. You are beautiful friend.
    Tonya Salomons recently posted..Five Minute Friday – Beautiful

22. Carrie says:

Fabulous! You nailed it – we are beautiful because we are His. And when we open our hearts to Him, our beauty will shine through inward and outward. Lovely post, Barbie!
    Carrie recently posted..Learn to Say the B Word

23. Dear Barbie,
    You are beautiful because you are His, and you keep pointing us back to Him and how He loves us…Praying you know how beautiful you are, my friend 🙂
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..Five Minute Fridays: Beautiful

24. Lani says:

Apparently we were on the same wavelength today! We are beautiful because we are His and we are loved!! 🙂
    Lani recently posted..FMF: {Beautiful}

• Barbie says:

So good, and I loved what you said in your comment back to me about a “little less Barbie (Matel)” in our lives! Have a lovely weekend.

25. Mel says:

“I am beautiful, simply because I am His.” These are words to embrace every single day…blessings to you, sweet friend. Love this. 🙂
    Mel recently posted..Five-Minute Friday: Beautiful

26. Beautiful post and great reminder of what our Father thinks of us! Thanks!

27. Your life is very beautiful and I’m thankful we always have HIm to be our mirror.
    Rachel @RedeemingHer recently posted..For the Trafficker: His love will heal.

28. Andi Gould says:

We are beautiful because we are His! Thank you for the verses showing His love for us. Visiting from FMF Have an awesome weekend! http://www.anestfullofsquishers.com/2013/07/five-minute-friday-beautiful.html
    Andi Gould recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Beautiful

29. Becky says:

Loved this. Thank you for sharing. You are beautiful not because of your outward appearance, accomplishments, approval from others. You are beautiful because the God of the universe made you so! And he made me beautiful, too. 🙂 Thanks for the beautiful reminder.

30. I love that you compare us to lumps of clay. We are. Sometimes it hurts to be molded and shaped and formed, but we are beautiful to our Creator, who knows what the end result will be. Thank you for sharing! Stopping by from Five Minute Friday. 🙂

xoxo,
    Gayle | Grace for Gayle
    gayle @ grace for gayle recently posted..five minute friday | beautiful.

31. katherine says:

thank you for your prayers and visiting my blog. surgery went well and I’m finally getting t ocomment!
    your post is truly beautiful. such a reminder of God’s perfectness. not what the world sees because that’s fleeting
    katherine recently posted..2013 Bento 165-172 #TakeitTuesday