Five Minute Friday: Present

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and others for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. Just words freely flowing from my heart to yours.

Present

Life is meant to be lived in the moment.  But as I am busy striving to be present in the here and now, I find myself reaching forward, and sometimes looking back.  And in so doing, I lose sight of the many beautiful blessings that God would have to show me each day.  Some days I wish I could just stop time, freeze today, so that I could have a good look at my surroundings.    I want to live my life, for this moment.  For this is what truly matters, what I do with each moment that He has given to me.  Yet I long for the past, at times, and worry about the future.  And in the longing and the reaching, I forget to live in the here and now, fully present and alive in the moment.

Wherever you are, be all there. – Jim Elliott

True joy in life is found in moments — hurried, rushed, mundane, busy moments of real life. Forgive me Lord, for reaching forward and looking behind. Help me to be fully present and alive right here, right now, in this moment. I don’t want to miss the beauty you have for me today.

*I’m so tired tonight.  I think this little bit of writing took about 8 minutes 🙂

Five Minute Friday

1. I really enjoyed your post today, it ws very poetical. I will follow you too and am glad that I found your blog throught the hop.
    Mary-andering Creatively recently posted..Friday Blog Hops of Creative Writing and Inspiration

2. Oh my stars, this topic is so convicting to me!!!!!!!!! I love when you said, “And in the longing and the reaching, I forget to live in the here and now, fully present and alive in the moment.” This is really where I live…. I need so much work in this being present stuff. It’s something God’s drawing to my attention of late, and it’s really His grace to give a topic like this, because it’s a big blessing to me to hear so many sisters in the Lord talk about having the same struggle. I appreciate your words this morning! Have a blessed day!
    Shannon K Wheeler recently posted..Living To the Fullest Right Here and Now

• Barbie says:

Thanks for visiting Shannon! I know the feeling when a word prompt comes and having to lean on His grace to write it! I hope you have a blessed weekend.

3. denise says:

Wise words, as always.
    denise recently posted..FMF-Present

4. Mary says:

“True joy in life is found in moments — hurried, rushed, mundane, busy moments of real life.” Barbie, this is so very true. Lovely words you have penned her my friend.
    Mary recently posted..5 Minute Friday…PRESENT

5. Mia says:

Dear Barbie
    The present, dear friend, is all we will ever have. I think the secret lies in discovering eternity in Jesus even while we are still here and then abide just there. There I have found that even time is just something He created in the first place!
    Luv XX
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..The King’s Present

6. Lori Harris says:

I love Jim Elliot and I love that quote, Barbie. He inspires me to live fearlessly. Oh, and I love your honesty about your minutes. =)
    Lori Harris recently posted..Holy and Altogether Home {A Guest Post at (in)courage!}

7. Elizabeth says:

“I lose sight of the many beautiful blessings that God would have to show me each day. ” Barbie, that is so true. I appreciate the reminder.

8. Vanessa says:

Lovely, Barbie! Just lovely… and I completely know these feelings so well. “I don’t want to miss the beauty you have for me today.” Love you!!!
    Vanessa recently posted..Five Minute Friday – Present

• Barbie says:

Lately, I feel as if I am drowning in the past and the future. Trying to stay balanced and focused is hard work!

9. Debbie says:

I’m feeling a bit refreshed just reading your post Barbie! I love that Jim Elliot quote, especially considering how very short his life ended up being. But how much of an impact did he make? He made a huge impact for the Kingdom.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..Five Minute Friday ~ Present

• Barbie says:

Love you my dear friend. May you find beauty in the little moments throughout your day today, and always!

10. Jennifer says:

Great post, and I love the quote you used! Have a beautiful weekend! 🙂
    Jennifer recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Present

11. Beth says:

I loved the quote you shared Barbie. I feel that struggle to live for the moment and to see all the blessings He is giving us. I hold tightly to the past and long for the future as though the future will bring something better. I too don’t want to miss the beauty He has for me today. Beautiful words, as always.
    Much love,
    Beth
    Beth recently posted..Whisper My Name.

12. Beautiful words, thought-provoking quote and a genuine prayer request. Rosanne

13. Amy Tilson says:

Love that Jim Eliot quote. One of my former pastor’s wife used to say bloom where you’re planted and Tsh says the grass is greener where it’s watered. I think these three sentiments need to become more influential in how I view my present. Thanks for the great reminder. (BTW – the look of your space just makes me feel happy and relaxed. Beautiful!)
    Amy Tilson recently posted..Present – Five Minute Friday

• Barbie says:

“The grass is greener where it’s watered.” Love that! And thank you for the compliments about my space. This is really an “out of the box” design which I hardly made any changes too. It was simply yet elegant and I didn’t have to think too hard about a header, only to change my mind again. I truly appreciate your visits!

14. ~Karrilee~ says:

This is so peaceful… all the striving and rushing around and then the reminder that wherever we are… there He is also! I love this!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..Five Minute Friday – Present

15. Becky Daye says:

I love the quote from Jim Elliot as well! Thanks for this!
    Becky Daye recently posted..Five Minute Friday~ Present

16. kaseyparr99 says:

Great post! True joy is found in the moments–so true. Blessings, Kasey

17. Ashley says:

Every word you type is a blessing. You have such a heart for Jesus, Barbie. It really shows.
    Ashley recently posted..Present {Five Minute Friday}

18. I’m hearing you tonight, my friend … looks like there’s alot of us in the same boat …

;-}
    Linda@Creekside recently posted..The Best Present Ever

19. Love this Barbie, and yes life is beautiful we just need to be present to see it!! I have missed you, love you lots!

• Barbie says:

Oh friend, I miss you too. I am drowning, in so many ways, but I am coming up for air. I cannot seem to get on your blog. But I can visit you on Facebook. Hugs!

20. Anita Ojeda says:

These words resonate with me: “Some days I wish I could just stop time, freeze today, so that I could have a good look at my surroundings.” So often I forget to stop and smell the roses, smell the fresh-fallen rain on sun-parched earth or listen, really listen to what people around me are saying. Thank you for the reminder that just pausing, smelling, breathing and listening will help me to ‘freeze today.”
    Anita Ojeda recently posted..Present

21. Kim says:

Oh yes! In the looking back and the reaching forward we forget to live in the present. Beautiful words and well put!
    Kim recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Present

22. What a wonderful and comforting post. It’s nice that you have these feelings too. I wish I could slow the ride down sometimes too. Rock on sister!!!
    Debi @ DebiStangeland.com recently posted..Five Minute Friday: I’M AWAY FROM MY DESK