Transformed Tuesday: From Duty to Delight
As a child, I longed to be someone’s delight. They say a daughter is the apple of her daddy’s eye, his one delight. Although I knew my daddy loved me, I didn’t feel “delighted” in.
delight: to take great pleasure in.
As I grew older and came to know the Lord, it was all that I could do to please Him. My mind could not understand how the God of the Universe, the Creator God, could take pleasure in me. You see, I forgot that it was His hand that formed me in the secret place, where no one was looking. It was His hand that fashioned me. As the Master Potter, I always wondered if he truly stepped back when I was finished and said, “it is good”.
I worked hard to earn His love. Surely if I did the right things for God, He would find pleasure in me.
- I made sure to read His Word daily for fear I would disappoint Him.
- I signed up for the prayer team, because I longed to hear His heart and just maybe, if I prayed hard enough, He would share His secrets with me.
- I served in Children’s Ministries, caring for the littlest ones. Perhaps if I poured my time and effort into the lives of others God would smile upon me.
Although these were all good and necessary things to further my Christian walk, my life became one of duty and striving. I did all the right things, but I was motivated out of fear of rejection. I could not wrap my mind around the simple truth that the Living God delighted in me. In my quest to know and experience the love of God, I lost sight of the joy and pleasure of simply being His.
It’s taken me years, but I am finally coming to a place where I can honestly say that My Heavenly Father delights in me, His Daughter. Just knowing this truth makes it easy for me to take pleasure in the ways of the Lord.
- I read His Word now, motivated by love and not fear.
- I pray continually, and I know He will answer. I am confident that He hears me.
- I still serve in Children’s Ministry, for the shear joy of leading the little ones in the ways of the Lord.
My heart has been set free to love Him more and in so doing, I take great delight in His will and His ways. As His desires become my desires, I have no doubt that God will give to me the desires in my heart because they were first born in His heart.
As I’ve allowed Him to transform me from a place of duty to delight, I have become fully His and He has become fully mine.