10 In Faith

Transformed Tuesday: From Duty to Delight

As a child, I longed to be someone’s delight.  They say a daughter is the apple of her daddy’s eye, his one delight.  Although I knew my daddy loved me, I didn’t feel “delighted” in.

delight: to take great pleasure in.

As I grew older and came to know the Lord, it was all that I could do to please Him.  My mind could not understand how the God of the Universe, the Creator God, could take pleasure in me.  You see, I forgot that it was His hand that formed me in the secret place, where no one was looking.  It was His hand that fashioned me.  As the Master Potter, I always wondered if he truly stepped back when I was finished and said, “it is good”.

I worked hard to earn His love.  Surely if I did the right things for God, He would find pleasure in me.

• I made sure to read His Word daily for fear I would disappoint Him.
  • I signed up for the prayer team, because I longed to hear His heart and just maybe, if I prayed hard enough, He would share His secrets with me.
  • I served in Children’s Ministries, caring for the littlest ones.  Perhaps if I poured my time and effort into the lives of others God would smile upon me.

Although these were all good and necessary things to further my Christian walk, my life became one of duty and striving.  I did all the right things, but I was motivated out of fear of rejection.  I could not wrap my mind around the simple truth that the Living God delighted in me.  In my quest to know and experience the love of God, I lost sight of the joy and pleasure of simply being His.

It’s taken me years, but I am finally coming to a place where I can honestly say that My Heavenly Father delights in me, His Daughter.  Just knowing this truth makes it easy for me to take pleasure in the ways of the Lord.

• I read His Word now, motivated by love and not fear.
  • I pray continually, and I know He will answer.  I am confident that He hears me.
  • I still serve in Children’s Ministry, for the shear joy of leading the little ones in the ways of the Lord.

My heart has been set free to love Him more and in so doing, I take great delight in His will and His ways.  As His desires become my desires, I have no doubt that God will give to me the desires in my heart because they were first born in His heart.

As I’ve allowed Him to transform me from a place of duty to delight, I have become fully His and He has become fully mine.

Adoption Mama
    July 31, 2013 at 5:49 am

That special bond is so important. Our loving Heavenly Father is the perfect one. He delights in us even when we are not so delightful. Thanking HIm today for loving me.
    Adoption Mama recently posted..Continuous Encouragement

lisha epperson
      July 31, 2013 at 7:08 am

Hi Barbie! I read your post and felt the depth of His love for you. Praise God you’ve RECEIVED it. Bless you as you continue to enjoy the fullness of His love. Stopping by from Transformed Tuesday. Have a great week.

July 31, 2013 at 5:31 pm

That’s so true. He delights in me, faults and all. Praying for you my friend.

Cheri
    July 31, 2013 at 10:51 am

This is beautiful, Barbie! It has taken me many, many years to come to this place too. Although I do find myself slipping back into old patterns of thought regularly. Thank you for this reminder. Grace and peace.
    Cheri recently posted..Broken {Five Minute Friday}

July 31, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I too have my moments of falling back into old patterns, but that’s when His grace catches me and sets me on the right path again. Have a blessed evening!

Debbie
    July 31, 2013 at 11:15 am

Oh yes Barbie, it is all about our motivation. Outward godly practices mean nothing unless they come from a heart that loves God and knows He loves us. But having said that, I’ve been there and done that too. Isn’t it amazing that God is so filled with love and grace. Yes we don’t deserve it and we can’t earn it. We simply receive it and then His love overflows in our hearts toward others. How amazing is that? I love the way He is working in your heart Barbie. You are beautiful my friend.

Love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..What’s Good About a Colonoscopy?

July 31, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Thank you my friend. I am so grateful for you!

Ashley
    July 31, 2013 at 11:42 am

I’m so glad you have gotten to the place you are now. It’s so beautiful to see. Love you, Barbie. Bless you today.
    Ashley recently posted..The Revival of my Heart {A Guest Post}

July 31, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Thank you Ashley. It’s not always perfect. My mind can stray and get off track, but I am so thankful for His grace!

Diane | An Extraordinary Day
    August 2, 2013 at 10:42 am

“My heart has been set free to love Him more and in so doing, I take great delight in His will and His ways.”
    I love this Barbie! No longer are we bound up in false bondage. Yay!! It is obvious that you do delight in loving and serving your loving heavenly Father. Bless you my friend!