The Weekend Brew: For when you feel small

I want to thank you all for your encouraging comments on my last post.  And I want you all to know that I really am okay.  I don’t want you to think that my lack of Twitter skills has me feeling down.  I am so thankful that you all accept me for who I am, insecurities and all.  I wouldn’t know any other way to blog, but to be transparent and vulnerable with where I am on this journey.  Thank you for your love and grace.

So my lonely post got me to thinking about how small and insignificant I often feel. Compared to most people and their accomplishments, I feel small, almost unnoticeable.  If I were to be honest I would have to say that I measure my accomplishments (or lack thereof) with the wrong measuring stick.  There is something inside of me that wants to be great, to know that I matter, to know that what I do is making an eternal difference. In my smallness, I crave affirmation. Isn’t it a human need to feel loved and affirmed?

The Kingdom of God is upside down.  The love and affirmation I seek can only come from God, and Him alone.  I don’t want to live my life for the praises of man.  I know it’s wrong to seek the attention and approval of others.  I want to stay humble, to stay small in the eyes of man.  I know that in due time, God will exalt me for His higher good.

But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.
(Matt. 23:12 NTL)

Although I believe He has called me to do great things, big things for Him, I also believe that He can use me, in my smallness and insignificance, in even greater ways.  Most days I feel like all I have to give to him are the crumbs I failed to sweep up off the floor.  Those crumbs represent dreams yet unfulfilled, failures, past hurt and pain.  They keep me small, hiding away from the big world of making a difference for God.  But when I give Him my brokenness and the cracks in the otherwise smooth surface of my heart, that’s when He can move even more powerfully than if I offered Him up my perfection (of which I will never be), or my shiny bare floor without a crumb to be seen.

My friend, God can work in your smallness today.  When you feel unseen and insignificant, He sees you, and you have to believe that what you have to offer will be a blessing to others. Sometimes, and I believe most of the time, God moves more powerfully in our smallness. When we choose to remain meek and lowly, humbling ourselves before Him, that’s when He picks up the ashes of our lives and breathes afresh and anew.  Beautiful things are made from broken places.

Be encouraged, my friend.  You do not go unnoticed. What you do does not go unseen.  For the One who truly matters is pleased with your humbling offerings.

Now it’s your turn to share encouragement here at The Weekend Brew.
1. Share a post, photo, scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages. (Please only link one post. Multiple posts from the same site will be deleted.)
2. Grab the button to use in your post, or simply link here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others if you have time).

1. Betty Jo says:

I so relate to what you’re sharing Barbie. Definitely He can work through our smallness. I think what is really upside down is our concept of great things, big things for Him. Often the greatest thing for Him, is actually a tiny thing, like when the widow gave her all, a tiny mite. Or the tiny mustard seed of faith. We seem to have the idea that what we think is great and big, is what He thinks is great and big, and nothing could be further from the truth. “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.
    Betty Jo recently posted..fri faves

• Barbie says:

Betty Jo, yes, that is so true. We have the wrong perspective of what “big” is. We must remember not to despise the day of small beginnings. Thank you for stopping by.

2. Joanne Viola says:

Barbie – I can so relate to what you have written here. Lately I am coming to find that there truly is no way to measure a great or small act. That which may seem like such a small and/or insignificant thing to me may be huge to the person receiving. I think God has begun to bring me to the place where I just do the thing He is putting before me & let go of it for we truly never know the depth to which it has accomplished. And perhaps that is a good thing. It keeps us safe in the folds of obscurity. I have so been blessed by your writing & often look for your picture in the linkups. Thank you for being you & sharing from your heart. Every time.
    Have a blessed weekend!
    Joanne
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Repost: Swings – Old & New

• Barbie says:

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comment. So much for me to consider in your words. Have a lovely weekend.

3. Amanda says:

Hi Barbie! I just want you to know, that as someone who loves and appreciates the faith-based community that you’ve created and inspired here, I don’t think you’re small at all!! 🙂 {hugs} Your posts encourage me, and the weekend link-ups give me a place to share my faith, so thank you for all of that!! Your post did remind me of a quote I read once, “The gate of Heaven is very low; only the humble can enter it.” (St. Elizabeth Seton) God will most certainly see and use the smallest of us 🙂 Thanks for your beautiful words, have a blessed weekend!!
    Amanda recently posted..Sweet, Simple Saturday ~ Walk by Faith

4. Missy says:

Barbie, This encouragement to relishing in the smallness of my life, at times, it’s just exactly what I needed to read this morning. Thank you. Thank you, my friend, for writing so transparently. “We write to know that we’re not alone.” And this proves how beautiful (and SO not alone) community can make us feel.

5. Barbie, I think you can’t check “great things” off your list for Him…look what you are doing and how many people you are encouraging/lifting up. Keep going, that is what He is telling me to tell you today.

God Bless you,
    Kim
    Kim Adams Morgan recently posted..Man in The Mountain

6. Carol says:

Dear Barbie,
    I so appreciate your transparency and the community that you are providing here. I can relate to your feeling–we live in a very competitive culture. We value individual accomplishment. I can look back on the years that my children were in high school and I was so focused on the success of MY children. It would have been better to encourage all the young people in our circle a little more. I coming to believe that it is what we do as a Church– a community working together that is most important. We need to lift each other up. Blessings and thanks.
    Carol recently posted..Shepherd and Source of Truth

7. Cheri says:

Love, love this Barbie. Thank you. My heart needed to hear this today. We are so similar. I love your community (and FMF too). I love the grace, encouragement and acceptance I always feel when I comment and link-up. It’s what I desire everyone to feel on my little slice of the web as well. You are a true gem- and that is great to me 🙂
    Cheri recently posted..Lonely {Five Minute Friday}

8. Carrie says:

You are not small in my eyes, Barbie! I love to read your posts – your raw truth, your faith. I too have struggled with feelings of smallness, especially the words, “I’m not good enough.” There is light at the end of the tunnel – our precious Savior with His arms wide open to receive us! Many blessings to you this weekend! BTW love that our images are similar 🙂
    Carrie recently posted..God Is Working On Me

9. ~ linda says:

I jumped right into your shoes, Barbie. Never good enough is a trait I must admit I have used on myself far too often. I thank you for this beautiful post for I needed it this very day. He knows and counts me as His and that cannot be a small measure in itself. I must be far more than I think of myself.
    I know that He feels the same about you and praise God for you and your ministry, my friend.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda
    ~ linda recently posted..Indwelt

10. Rachael says:

I appreciate you, Barbie! And your words are always raw and honest. Blessings to you!
    Rachael recently posted..When Rocks Get Thrown Our Way

11. Jedidja says:

I love the way you let look into your heart. That’s very special. Maybe you think you are small in your own eye. God’s eye is different. He see himself in you. That makes you are precious.
    Jedidja recently posted..Zegeningen tellen? Blijven doen!

12. Yes, yes, Barbie. In our weakness, frailty, and what seems to be worthless insignificance, He unfurls His strength, releases His power, does what He knows is best!

It’s not an easy place to be. But as we step aside, peace comes …
    Linda@Creekside recently posted..Sacred Community

13. Noreen says:

Hi Barbie, I think we can all relate to your post. Just last night I was beating myself up because I thought I had made a big mistake on a quilt border; this morning when I was rearranging squares I realized that I hadn’t made a mistake. Often I feel like I’d love to be a better ________(usually quilter)but I also realize the Lord made me just as I am, who I am with all my strengths and weaknesses. Thank you for your words today.
    Blessings my friend!
    Noreen

14. I don’t Twitter either — I don’t even use a cell phone! God uses each of us as we are, to His glory! Thanks for hosting & God bless.
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Rebellion and Redemption — Cain and Abel

15. child of God says:

Hi Barbie,
    I have felt like that on Twitter too. The stream is moving to fast and I am s-l-o-w. I am glad you went back into that stream and contributed, you have a lot of good things to share.

I am very much a loner in a full room and can feel very alone and left out. Too bad we didn’t live closer together, I know we would get along fantastically.

Blessings hon.
    child of God recently posted..Update on Phoebe

16. Kym says:

Hi – I’ve been dropping in on your blog every now and again for quite some time. Today I’m finally following you and have linked up to the Weekend Brew. I look forward to getting to know you as I read. Hope you are having a blessed weekend!
    Kym recently posted..Scripture and a Snapshot – August 11, 2013

17. Hazel Moon says:

God blessed King Saul when he was small in his own eyes. Pride can cause us to be too big for our britches and bring a big fall like humpty dumpty! Great post and may we see ourselves like God does, bold, brave, doing great things for Him.
    Hazel Moon recently posted..Something Nice

18. Beth says:

Barbie,
    I’m always so grateful for how you share your heart. You encourage my friend! “Beautiful things are made from broken places.” Amen!
    Much love to you,
    Beth
    Beth recently posted..For your Sunday

19. Lea says:

Oh, Barbie, you are sooo BIG, even in my eyes and I’m sure in the eyes of God as well. You have such depth and are always seeking Him in any and all situations. You always leave me feeling very inspired with your writings. May you feel every bit as special as you are. Hugs!
    Lea recently posted..Sharing my day with you…………

• Barbie says:

Oh Lea, I am humbled by your comment. I am so thankful that God uses my words, His words, to inspire you. Thankful to know you in this big world of blogging!

20. Barbie, this is so beautiful and honest and encouraging. Thank you for “letting us in.” It’s so good to know that we are not alone and that there are sisters who struggle. Thank you for reminding me that God is working in my small little piece of the world to do great things…. Like the widow, may I give Him my mite. It’s all His to use.

I also really loved the picture of the butterfly — they always remind me that God is in the process of transforming me. One day soon, I will fly. 🙂
    Lyli@ 3-D Lessons for Life recently posted..Revived

• Barbie says:

I have always loved butterflies, since I came to know the Lord. They remind me of new life and freedom! Thanks for stopping by Lylie!

21. Nikki says:

“Although I believe He has called me to do great things, big things for Him, I also believe that He can use me, in my smallness and insignificance, in even greater ways.”….
    amen…just so much yes.

My prayer varies between “Make me unknown, Lord…known only to You…and while You’re at it, can You make me okay with that, too?” to….”God, You’re so big inside of me. Help me unleash the power You’ve given…” but I forget…though He has the power of a lion–He pursues me like a lamb. {HUGS}
    Nikki recently posted..Who Am I? {Can’t Get Over Him}

22. Ashley says:

I read this and then I read this to a friend who needed it just as much as I do, what a blessing. Thank you, Barbie!
    Ashley recently posted..Molding Clay