The Weekend Brew: Never Alone in the Valley

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.  (Psalm 23:4)

Sometimes there are twists and turns in life, sudden changes of direction that can throw us off course and threaten to throw the rug right out from underneath us.

We refer to these as “valleys”.  I’ve been thinking about my own valley seasons lately, how God has always proven Himself faithful.  I don’t always see the purpose for the time spent here in the valley, but I know that God uses these times in my life to strengthen me and help me to learn to trust Him more.

God promises to never leave us, especially in the valley.  Those dark nights of the soul which leave us plastered on the carpet face down and tears pouring, He is there and He close to us during those times.  The Good Shepard promises to bring us “through the valley”.  Our job is to learn to trust, to lean into Him, trusting that we can take Him at His Word, as He promises to never leave us nor forsake us.

You may not be walking through the valley of the shadow of death, but perhaps you are walking through a valley.  I want to encourage you to stay steadfast in your faith.  Do not give up!  Reach out and touch the hem of His garment and allow Him to lead you through.

You are never alone in the valley.

TheWeekendBrewButtonNow it’s your turn to share encouragement here at The Weekend Brew.
1. Share a post, photo, scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages. (Please only link one post. Multiple posts from the same site will be deleted.)
2. Grab the button to use in your post, or simply link here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others if you have time).

1. Joanne Viola says:

Beautiful & stunningly matched photo & verse! Such a familiar verse yet this morning this is the thought that struck me as I looked at the photo – Barbie, HE TAKES US THROUGH. He does not leave us IN the valley forever. This is a beautiful reminder that life truly is a journey. Thank you!
    Have a blessed weekend,
    Joanne Viola recently posted..The Random Five – 8/24/13

2. Dayna Camp says:

Hi Barbie, I’ve been thinking a lot about this lately especially because of what our family has been going through with the loss of our sweet grand baby. The verses I’ve been thinking about over and over has been Isaiah 43:2 & 3
    When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;
    and when you pass through the rivers,
    they will not sweep over you.
    When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.
    3 For I am the Lord your God,
    the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;

We still must go through the water or the fire but we had the blessed promise that He will be with us and we will not be overtaken.
    Blessings to you!
    Dayna Camp recently posted..How Can Busy People Work from Home?

• Barbie says:

Dayna, I am so sorry about the loss of your precious grandbaby. I cannot imagine the heartache, but thankful we have the Lord in seasons like these. I love that portion of scripture from Isaiah. It brings me great comfort to know that I will come through. Blessings my friend!

3. ~Karrilee~ says:

Beautiful… as always! You are so encouraging and uplifting, Barbie! I just love stopping by your place and spending a little time with Him and with you! (One day… in real life!)

Love you so!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..This Thing I Do Now – 7th Edition

• Barbie says:

Oh friend, wouldn’t that be great? Perhaps at a blogging conference, where I could hug you all in the same room!

4. You’re right my friend. God is always faithful. We do learn a lot in these strange seasons don’t we?

Love you!
    Beth @ My Destiny recently posted..Share?

5. Elizabeth says:

Perhaps one of the signs of spiritual maturity is learning to find beauty in the valleys instead of us always looking ahead to the mountain tops. I don’t know about anyone else, but I spend more time in the valley than on the mountain.
    Elizabeth recently posted..New Every Morning

• Barbie says:

Some things only grow in the valley. These are necessary seasons. I am learning to be thankful for them. Have a beautiful weekend Elizabeth!

6. ~ linda says:

I am walking in a valley right now, but I know I am, not hiding from the fact. I also know that I am not alone for I know He is so close, even holding me. Thanks for your encouragement.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda
    ~ linda recently posted..Such Were Some of You, but…

7. Cheri says:

Thank you, Barbie. I am in a valley with my health right now. The past couple of weeks have been scary and frustrating. I desperately needed this today. Many blessings.
    Cheri recently posted..on being a good mom

8. How beautiful is that scripture. One of my boys recites it every morning. Another leads us in the Lord’s Prayer. Until he graduated another would read us a psalm – all on the way to school. Those valleys are not beautiful, though, are they! The shadow of darkness isn’t, either. Yet, if you believe – then there is hope. I believe. I hope. I hang on with all my might – no matter how much it hurts:)
    bluecottonmemory recently posted..The Opposite Day Paradigm of Last

9. Pamela says:

Living in the valley is just so hard. I have found that most of my spiritual growth occurs there. You are so right — God is always with me there.
    Pamela recently posted..Life Long Learning ,

10. Gorgeous photo for this verse! Praise God that He carries us through all valleys — even death. Thanks for the beautiful post & for hosting & God bless.
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Triplets of Faith: Were Adam and Eve Saved?

11. Jedidja says:

Thank you! This is so beautifully written. Just as I experience it myself at the moment.

12. Beth says:

I needed these words today. Thank you! I shared from Psalm 118:6 today….”The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid.” God has been drawing me even closer to Him and I’ve begun to realize it’s because He knows how much I need to trust Him. To trust that He is always with me. Again, thank you for your encouraging heart. Much love, Beth
    Beth recently posted..For your Sunday

• Barbie says:

This is a lesson I am learning as well, this place of deep and abiding trust in the Lord. Praying you have a blessed week my friend.

13. Hi Barbie! I just read this and the scripture would be the perfect ending to my post. Praise God we are never alone. I love how he dots i’s and crosses t’s, completes thoughts and connects us through our individual reflections on His word. Blessed Sunday to you!

14. Ashley says:

I can’t even begin to tell you how much you encourage me, Barbie. Every time I come, I am so blessed.
    Ashley recently posted..A Peek Inside my Life…

15. Rachael says:

In the book Hinds Feet on High Places the main character, Much Afraid, goes through a valley. In the valley is a refinery and she also finds a lone flower growing in a crack named Acceptance with Joy. Those images always come to mind when I feel like I am walking through a valley. Love this post, Barbie! Blessings. Love, Rachael
    Rachael recently posted..Zephaniah 3:17 – My Gift

• Barbie says:

I love Hinds Feet on High Places. It had such an impact on my life early on. Now that I’ve been through some struggles, I should read it again. Have a blessed week Rachael.

16. Ann says:

Hi, Barbie! Catching up on some blog hops today and really enjoyed reading your post! I’ve not had to walk near the shadow of death (praise God), but I’ve been in many valleys. Looking back, I can see that He was with me. Even though I may not have felt His presence. I know , just as in the story of the footprints in the sand, that not only did He walk with me, but He carried me many times, too!
    Blessings, my friend!
    Ann @ Christ in the Clouds
    Ann recently posted..10 Ways to Beat the Heat!