36 In Weekend Whispers

The Weekend Brew: Stop, Drop & Roll!

Life has many views.  Sometimes it has me in a frantic, I’m going to pull my hair out state. Other days, It’s as if I’m sitting on the sideline watching my life unfold before my eyes.  Still other days, I feel as if I’m chasing my life, hoping to catch up with it, just long enough to enjoy it.

God has given me a recipe for days where I feel the pressing need to slow down, seek joy and embrace my life. It’s called,

“Stop, Drop & Roll.”

keep-calm-and-roll-with-it-1

Stop.

Be Still and know that I am God.  (Psalm 46:10)

On the days where I am frantically running around, losing sight of the blessings that are right in front of me, God wants to remind me that it’s only in the slowing down that I will truly capture the priceless moments that threaten to pass me by.  These moments are fleeting, gone in the blink of an eye, and He desires that I slow down long enough to capture them in my heart.  By slowing down, I can see God in the chaos and things become much more clear.

Drop.

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. (Philippians 4:6 NLT)

It’s important on those days when I feel I may loose my mind (which is every day lately), that I not only stop, but drop to my knees in prayer, relinquishing my day back to God and giving Him complete control. With a heart postured in prayer and an attitude of thanksgiving, my mess can become a masterpiece in His presence.  God can take any amount of chaos and make it beautiful.  It’s all about coming before Him with the right heart.  Even in my chaos, I can choose to be thankful, reaching for beauty beyond the mess.

Roll.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.  (Proverbs 3:5-6 NLT)

Sometimes in life, you just gotta roll with it!  It’s easier to roll when we trust.  Trusting God in the midst of hardship, pain, suffering and chaos is not always easy.  But the more we trust, the easier the roll.  I want to roll freely through life, with laughter, love and joy following close behind.  It’s up to me whether the trip is laden with rocks, mud and jagged edges, or smooth and clear.  When we choose to trust, even the rockiest of roads can appear smooth when walking in a place of trust.

How about you my friends?  Are you finding the need to stop, drop and roll today?  I’m right there with you.  Let’s go together, shall we?

TheWeekendBrewButtonNow it’s your turn to share encouragement here at The Weekend Brew.
1. Share a post, photo, scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages. (Please only link one post. Multiple posts from the same site will be deleted.)
2. Grab the button to use in your post, or simply link here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others if you have time).

*photo credit

Joanne Viola
    August 17, 2013 at 3:41 am

Such wise advice in this post. All of it. Yet my favorite line…. “With a heart postured in prayer and an attitude of thanksgiving, my mess can become a masterpiece in His presence.” I desire for my heart to be postured with an attitude of thanksgiving so the mess can become a masterpiece. Thank you for sharing this.
    Have a weekend full of His blessings,
    Joanne
    Joanne Viola recently posted..The Random Five – 8/17/13

August 17, 2013 at 9:16 am

Thanks Joanne!

Linda@Creekside
    August 17, 2013 at 5:14 am

For sure, friends. Let’s take a breath. Settle down. Let a few things go. And be very present in the moment with the flesh and blood people who wait for our attention. What might we be missing as we run frantically to and fro – even online?

mmm …
    Linda@Creekside recently posted..Refuge

August 17, 2013 at 9:16 am

Oh yes friend! I hear you! Love this comment.

Jennifer peterson
    August 17, 2013 at 6:27 am

Aww I love this, I am going to bring this into my life, and your right it is easier to roll with it when you trust Him.

August 17, 2013 at 9:18 am

Thanks for stopping by Jennifer! May you have a blessed weekend.

Kim | Just For Clicks
    August 17, 2013 at 7:07 am

Barbie, this is SO true. I’m learning to keep my eyes on Jesus and not on the busyness to keep myself on the right track! Love your link-up and will be back to link next week!!! Happy Weekend!!
    Kim | Just For Clicks recently posted..Lazy Lake Days

August 17, 2013 at 9:18 am

Yay! It will be nice to have you here!

Stephani
    August 17, 2013 at 8:02 am

I love this Barbie! I need to stop, drop, and roll with it at times! I get a little frantic feeling when things don’t go as planned. I have a tendency to throw up my hands and quit rather than “roll with it.” – One of these days I’m going to have a fresh post to link here rather than my FMF post. It seems these days the FMF post is about all I can manage, and I don’t even get that out until Friday evening. I need to plan my posts better and schedule them. I write on the fly and am not planning ahead for what link ups are coming. Anyway, it’s a work in progress!
    Stephani recently posted..She’s a Small Stone

August 17, 2013 at 9:20 am

Oh friend, feel free to share your FMF posts. Not everyone who reads me reads you so hopefully those posts, which are always beautiful, will get some reads. No pressure on new writings. I’ve been enjoying all of your posts lately.

~ linda
    August 17, 2013 at 8:45 am

I know this for fire education, but can easily link it to my own life when it looks like a “fire”, blazing with heat and fear and things coming at me. It is good, Barbie. May your day be filled with the peace of God.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda
    ~ linda recently posted..God Looked Down…

August 17, 2013 at 9:20 am

Thank you Linda!

Kim Adams Morgan
    August 17, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I love the stop, drop and roll. Will need to remember this.
    Kim Adams Morgan recently posted..Communication Breakdown

August 17, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Thanks for stopping by Kim!

child of God
    August 17, 2013 at 1:15 pm

It is totally easier to roll with life when you trust God. His wisdom for our lives is better then ours.

Blessings hon. 🙂
    child of God recently posted..Not Hate But Love

August 17, 2013 at 7:12 pm

So true! Hope you’re having a great weekend!

Carrie
    August 17, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Love, love Proverbs 3:5-6. Some days I seem to understand very little {grin} so I lean heavily on these wise words. I love your stop, drop and roll analogy – just as we must remain calm and vigilant in the physical fire emergencies, so too we can apply to the spiritual. Have a blessed Sunday!
    Carrie recently posted..He Reserved A Spot For Me

August 17, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Thanks Carrie. I really enjoyed your post today!

Heather @ A Nurse's Wildflowers
    August 17, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Wow, thank you for this encouragement and reconfirmation of what has been on my mind a lot! I am a compulsive over scheduling, adrenaline junky…this plus a very stressful year has made for quite a time. Proverbs 3:6 has been bit of theme for me. It’s like I have to wring my soul out of all the junk (worry, anxiety, exhaustion, stress), close my eyes, focus on God, and let Him do His thing in my life. It is very freeing when I can actually let go enough to let Him guide me. As Beth Moore says, you gotta let go of the steering wheel and ENJOY THE RIDE! Thanks again Barbie, I am really loving your positive encouragement!
    Heather @ A Nurse’s Wildflowers recently posted..Homeschooling without a Schoolroom!

August 17, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Also reminds me of Carrie Underwood’s song, “Jesus Take The Wheel”. Thanks for stopping by again Heather!

Jen Ferguson
    August 17, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Love it, Barbie! So glad to know I am not the only one who loses her mind (almost?) daily.
    Jen Ferguson recently posted..If Your Child’s Ensnared

August 17, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Blessings to you Jen!

bluecottonmemory
    August 17, 2013 at 5:34 pm

“Stop! Drop! and Roll!” – Love it! but I love even more when you said that when we trust it is easier to roll = that is truth – beautiful. beautiful. beautiful. truth!
    bluecottonmemory recently posted..A Forever Girl

August 17, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Thank you friend!

Laurie Collett
    August 17, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Praise God for the peace we find only in Him! Thanks for the great post & for hosting & God bless!
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Triplets of Faith: Three True Gospels

August 18, 2013 at 8:11 am

God bless you Laurie!

Charissa
    August 17, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Love this! Made me laugh too!!

Denise
    August 18, 2013 at 2:56 am

Love this, “Stop, Drop, & Roll”! I will definitely keep this “recipe” with me! 🙂 I have learned that I can handle whatever a day may bring by responding with patience and complete trust in God’s power and purpose. The troubles and disappointments that test my patience and expectations will soon seem trivial and insignificant if I just move on past them, step forward, and lift my eyes up.

Great read to start my day Barbie! 🙂
    Thanks for the linky party!
    Denise
    Denise recently posted..Good Medicine

August 18, 2013 at 8:12 am

Have a blessed day Denise!

Beth
    August 18, 2013 at 7:43 am

You are such a beautiful encourager! Stop, drop and roll! Love it and will need to hold on to this.
    Much love to you friend.
    Beth
    Beth recently posted..For your Sunday

August 18, 2013 at 8:12 am

Love you my friend! Enjoy your day!

Kym
    August 18, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I am pretty good at rolling with it – but I’m not so good at the stopping and really looking at what God is doing or what he wants me to do in unexpected situations. I need to remember to stop and drop BEFORE I roll, I guess! 😉
    Kym recently posted..Scripture and a Snapshot – August 18, 2013

Melanie Wilson @theinspiredday
    August 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I love it! What a great line to remember. Just pinned. 🙂
    Melanie Wilson @theinspiredday recently posted..An Unexpected Gospel Story

Rosann
    August 19, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Amen, sister!! Loved this. My favorite or rather most challenging piece of your advice is the Drop portion. Oh how I struggle to loosen my grip and give it to God.
    Rosann recently posted..Spice Up Your Love Life

Kim@Stuffcould...
    August 20, 2013 at 6:26 am

We do have those extremely different days….frantic to boring. I try to tell myself that it is life, not easy though
    Kim@Stuffcould… recently posted..My Dogs Meditation Time

Amanda {A Royal Daughter}
    August 21, 2013 at 2:17 pm

OY. You have no idea how much I need this reminder. Almost every.single.day.
    Amanda {A Royal Daughter} recently posted..Small, quiet, and unseen