Three Word Wednesday: Full steam ahead!

A blogger on Facebook asked her readers yesterday what our motto was for the week.  I wrote “full steam ahead”.  With a full time job, a child in the 5th grade in public school, and homeschooling my 8th grade girl, I’d better be functioning in full steam ahead mode.

But then I got to thinking how most days I feel like the little engine that could, who saw the momentous task ahead of him and could only hope that he would make it.

“I think I can, I think I can, I think I can….”

I get up in the morning, set my feet to the floor and am off and running.  Get the kids up, make breakfast, pack lunches, help find clothes among the pile of unfolded laundry, reminders to brush teeth and hair, bite my lip every time I want to say “hurry, we’re going to be late”.  By the time 8:30AM rolls around, I am already exhausted and completely out of steam.

How does a busy mom stay full of steam in this season of life?  I want to remain full enough to get through the day without running out of fuel before the steepest climb.

I think of how in the old days a fire was kept burning when fresh coals were put into it. Those coals had to be continually moved around, stoked, or the fire would burn out.  If I want God to blow upon the embers of my heart, I first must go to Him. On those busy and hectic mornings when the little fire in me says “I think I can”,  it can grow to a full erruption if I would allow Him to fill me, to be my fuel for the day.

I want to be prepared each and every day, to start the day right, to get up and say, “Full steam ahead” and not “I think I can”.  This is only possibly when I purpose in my heart to give Him first place, to make Him my morning cup of satisfaction.  I fall short.  I’m not always on my game.  I would rather be off and running alongside of Him, than having Him push me up the hill.

How about you friends? Do you start your mornings with the motto, “full steam ahead” or “I think I can”?  How can you be assured that you will have the energy and stamina you need for each new day?

Linking up with my dear friend Beth today for Three Word Wednesday.  Consider joining us!

1. Jennifer says:

This is a wonderful post! Full steam ahead has to be what we strive for! I think I can, contradicts Philippians 4:13. I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!
    I love your words today, Barbie.
    Jennifer recently posted..For When You are Weary…

2. Barbie, in the season I’m in now, the bedrooms are getting quieter in the morning. They get themselves up and off to work now and one will be leaving in a week for California. My halls will be still. One day you will look around and say, “Where did it all go?” I know this sounds cliche, but cherish these days my friend. They are precious. Hold tight to Him. He is your strength and will get you through. You can. In Him. Through Him. Who gives you His strength.
    Donna Schultz recently posted..What’s The Big Deal?

• Barbie says:

Donna, I know this truth. My oldest married last year and moved out, and I’ve often wondered where the time went. Thank you for sharing your wisdom!

3. Beth says:

Thank you so much for your encouragement to begin this link up and for joining in, Barbie. I’m so grateful for you!! 🙂
    I think my morning motto right now may be “Just Get Up.” The early mornings with Hello Mornings are a challenge but I’m so refreshed by my time with God and no matter how hard it may seem to get up, I’m always so grateful that I did.
    Always love your words and your heart.
    Much love, Beth
    Beth recently posted..Three Word Wednesday: Be Made New

• Barbie says:

I’ve failed miserably at my Hello Mornings group. I still think it will get better, but I’m so not a morning person! Have a blessed tomorrow friend!

4. Stephani says:

Great post Barbie! I don’t know how you Mom’s get it all done. I have a hard time getting things done and I have no children. I do work full-time, and I have to take care of my parents in the evening. I know that counts, but I often feel I should be getting more done and doing it with more energy! My mornings have become crucial for me though. I get up at 4:30. It sets the tone for the day to be able to get a couple of small chores done, go for a walk or play with my puppy and then spend time in God’s word before going to work. The rest of the day is go, go, go!
    Stephani recently posted..Too Many Tomatoes

• Barbie says:

I commend you for getting up early and spending that time with God. I struggle to get up and find that evenings work best for me, but there is nothing like starting the mornings off on the right foot!

5. Oh, yes, I get this. I totally appreciate your words as last week I started getting up early. While it’s a challenge, it’s amazing how much smoother my days have been when I give my first moments to God and then use my time more wisely.
    Kristin Taylor recently posted..{Three Word Wednesday} God adopts us.

• Barbie says:

I’m not a morning person, and am struggling with that part. Perhaps that’s why I run out of steam! Thanks for stopping by Kristin!

6. Love this, Barbie. For me, I need to get into the Word every morning. It provides the fuel I need.
    Lyli@ 3-D Lessons for Life recently posted..Lord, Be Loud

7. Wanda says:

Here lately I find myself feeling as if I’m on a wheel that I can’t seem to get off. Put when I start my day centered on God things go so much smother.
    Wanda recently posted..Rest for Weary Souls

8. Jennifer says:

I just love this. Yes. Now I am even more excited about my day with Him tomorrow. Thank you, sweet friend!
    Jennifer recently beautiful girl

9. Your blog is so beautiful, Barbie. It’s like a work of art. I love the colors and the fonts. And your writing – wow, you have a lot on your plate. I like what you said about full steam ahead. I’ve been finding that the busier I get–and the more stressful life gets–the more I need my time with God in the morning. I always had it anyway, back in the days when I had lots of commotion around the house but not as much to accomplish, but now I need it just to make sure my writing to-do list doesn’t take priority over God.
    Barb Raveling recently posted..The Renewing of the Mind and Self-Condemnation

• Barbie says:

That’s so true. I am so not a morning person, and have failed miserably at the Hello Mornings challenge. But I find that when I give the first part of my day to Him, the rest just is better. Thanks for stopping by the blog!