Three Word Wednesday: Together We’re Stronger

Five girls showing unity with their hands.

Alone we are strong, but together we are stronger.

There is strength in community.  When sisters gather together, to share like-mindedness, struggling hearts and messy lives, I no longer see my weaknesses, but I see my strengths.  The strengths I have to offer to others, and the strengths that are made evident through the love and encouragement of sisters.

Individually, I would like to think of myself as a strong person.  I’ve managed well in the face of defeat, in loss, and hardship.  But I will be the first one to tell you that I am not strong, not in and of myself, for apart from Him I can do no good thing.

“Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.”  (John 15:5 NLT)

In Him I am strong, but I’m even stronger when I rally together with sisters in Christ.  For when two or three are gathered together in His Name, He is there.

“For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”  (Matt. 18:2o)

This does not mean that He’s not with me when I am alone; it just means that there’s even more strength when friends are together.  His strength in you, His strength in her, His strength in me .  It equals perfect strength.

Sometimes I shrink back from my sisters, not wanting to impose upon them with my issues.  I know full well that their plates are full and they are dealing with their own stuff.  So I keep my things to myself, asking the Lord to give me His strength to continue to carry the pain, the disappointment, the problems.  And then the sister calls me, or sends a text, or posts a Facebook status and I find out she’s experiencing something similar.  And I am reminded that we are not called to walk this journey alone.

I am so thankful for my sisters in Christ, both in the natural and through blogging.  I have sensed your love and your encouragement, and your prayers have strengthened my heart.

Alone, we are strong, but together we are stronger.

(photo credit)

1. ~Karrilee~ says:

I love this my friend! There is so much power (and grace… and comfort and Jesus!) in Community… in joining together… for wherever two or three are gathered… ah yes! So much this! I wrote about community this week too! Love that He is speaking this ever so clearly to so many of us… almost – dare I say – like a Clarion call!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..When Community comes right to your door…

• Barbie says:

There is something magical if I can say it, about community. It is truly how the Kingdom of God is supposed to function. We never need walk alone! Have a great weekend Karrilee!

2. wow. powerful, beautiful…three sweet words! Thank you for that!
    Dawn St Amand Paoletta recently posted..M.I.A. (Mother In Agony)-Re-Post

3. We are so thankful for you!! Beautiful post!!

4. Beth says:

Amen my friend! I was previously so far from believing words like this but God has surely shown me otherwise. He is SO good and I’m feeling incredibly grateful for those who have lifted my spirits today (like you!). You are a blessing in my life!! I thank God for you!!
    Beth recently posted..Three Word Wednesday: He loves me.

5. Nita says:

Love it! Yes we are stronger together.
    Nita recently posted..Do Earphones Encourage Learning?

6. Missy says:

Oh friend, how I love this reminder that we are stronger together. You are such an encourager. I’m also reminded of the verse of three strands/cords not being easily broken. It’s such a comfort to know we can share our burdens and pray for each other and love on each other, even if only virtually.
    Missy recently posted..A Heart at Rest

7. Rosann says:

Oh amen, friend. Amen. I have come to love my online community of friends (you are a part of that circle…and thank you for being such a special part of my journey) so much and actually feel more comfortable baring my heart to them (to you) then I do in real life friends. Thanks for being there for me too! (((Hugs)))
    Rosann recently posted..The Six Books I Can’t Seem to Get My Nose Out Of…

• Barbie says:

I totally get that. I share more openly through writing and blogging than I do with my IRL friends. Wonder why that is? Have a blessed weekend!

8. Amen, Amen! together we are stronger
    Kim@Stuffcould… recently posted..My Son Deploys to Afghanistan

9. “Community” is my one word for this year, Barbie, so I definitely relate to the power of sisters working together to build each other up. I am reminded of an African proverb: “If you want to go fast, go alone; If you want to go far, go together.”
    Alison Hector recently posted..I’m not here for the fear!

10. Wanda says:

Alone, we are strong, but together we are stronger….so true Barbie.
    Wanda recently posted..Trust in God

11. Yes! I am trying to ask my friends for what I need instead of pretending that I don’t need anything. Pride is a terrible thing!
    susan@avintagefarmwife recently posted..Wednesday Worship-Tim Timmons

12. Ashley says:

This enriched my soul and made me breathe better! Seriously, what a powerful post! Love you Barbie!
    Ashley recently posted..Mercy {Five Minute Friday}

13. Cheri says:

Love this, Barbie! Beautiful.
    Cheri recently posted..your kids need you