11 In Social Justice

World Help: Christmas for an orphan

I can hardly believe it’s September already.  I get a little anxious this time of year, thinking about gift giving on a limited budget.  My children aren’t spoiled by any means, but since money is tight all year long, it is our hope to be able to gift them with not only things they need, but at least one thing they want for Christmas.

As I sat pondering Christmas and all it truly means in my living room one day, my thoughts turned to the entire world. There are so many children in need who have no gifts to open at Christmas.  It’s a sobering thought, and all of a sudden my own situation paled in comparison.

How can God use me and my limited resources to make a difference in a child’s life this Christmas?

Guatemala_Jul11_cf0424

I was so excited to have found the Christmas for an Orphan program through World Help. Christmas for an Orphan provides a way for you to say, “Jesus loves you and so do I . . . and I would like to pray for you and give you this small gift.” It is a simple gesture that means more to these children than you can possibly imagine.

Would you consider being the gift to a child in need this Christmas? And what’s even better is that you can provide Christmas for an Orphan gift boxes filled with love to children in need all around the world. This is a year-round project, so it’s never too late to get involved and make a difference.

You can request boxes here.

Nita
    September 2, 2013 at 7:48 am

Yeah, with 4 kids gifting can be quite an expense. We now just travel to a small cabin during the holidays and exchange 1 gift a piece. The kids prefer traveling and have told me they are willing to forego ‘gifting’ to do so. (all except the 4th and 7th graders). Last year will we were traveling my son and husband made a ‘Christmas Chair’ instead of a tree. They decorated a chair and put a star on top of it to surprise everyone. I cried it was such a sweet gesture.

September 5, 2013 at 9:16 am

I love the simplicity of your Christmas! Blessings!

Beth
    September 2, 2013 at 8:47 am

Box requested! Thanks for your amazing heart, Barbie!
    Beth recently posted..For your Sunday

September 5, 2013 at 9:16 am

Awe sweet! Thank you!

Sharon
    September 2, 2013 at 12:29 pm

My husband and I sponsor a child through World Vision. And our church provides many opportunities to give to the less fortunate. I love how God promises that we will be greatly blessed in the giving. He is such an extravagant Giver.

And He proves Himself true to His Word.

GOD BLESS!
    Sharon recently posted..LABOR “OF LOVE” DAY

September 5, 2013 at 9:17 am

That’s so great! Have a blessed week Sharon!

Ceil
    September 2, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Hi Barbie! What a lovely idea! I do give some money to a different charity, but I love when what we give really helps a child or village in need.

Thank you for bringing this worthy charity to our attention 🙂
    Ceil
    Ceil recently posted..The Baby Phoenix

September 5, 2013 at 9:17 am

You’re welcome Ceil!

Michele-Lyn
    September 5, 2013 at 5:41 am

Barbie,

Can you believe I didn’t even know about this??? World Help does so much! I am still learning about all they do. 🙂 Thank you for writing and sharing this!
    Michele-Lyn recently posted..God wants to meet you where you are…

September 5, 2013 at 9:18 am

You’re welcome my friend! They truly are doing so much to help!

Laurie's Notions (@lauriervb)
    September 7, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Thank you for alerting me to this! I’ve wondered World Help’s site many times but have never stumbled about this Christmas for an Orphan. Just ordered my boxes and now I’m little more excited for Christmas! 🙂
    Laurie’s Notions (@lauriervb) recently posted..Open my eyes that I may see………