25 In Faith/ Writing & Blogging

Just Let Go!

Autumn dry leaf got stuck in a park bench

Words.  They haven’t come easy for me over the last few days.  I took a break from the writing, as I shared my 31 days of art & inspiration, welcoming a break from stringing words together just right. And then I launched my new site, talked about my book and my newsletter and was so excited to come here and begin painting words on this new canvas.

But the words haven’t come.  It’s not that I don’t have anything to say.  I want to tell you all about what God’s been doing in my heart, how I’ve learned through my failures as a mom, how homeschooling isn’t going so well, how I’m learning to love my husband through loss, and so much more.

Perhaps it’s exhaustion.  Perhaps I’m trying to hard.  Maybe it’s just not important.

Sometimes we hang on so tightly to things that it’s hard for God to have His way.  And I think right now God is saying it’s okay to take a break, that you will still be here when the words come. There are days when you simply have to focus on one thing at a time and not have to worry about doing it all.  Book promotions, editing, social media, Tweets, it can all become too much that you can crumble under the weigh of it all.  And when the writing becomes hard, that’s when I want to quit, throw in the towel and say I’m done.  Because really, it shouldn’t be hard.  I want to write from the overflow of my life.  So I’ve had to ask myself, “am I living life, truly living, in such a way that I have memorable moments to share”?  This is what I’ve been pondering over the last few days.

So today I am just going to let go, to save my sanity.  I am allowing myself to not give into the pressure of writing a pillar post, or anything tweetable for that matter. Today I just wanted to be real and let you know that writer’s block is hard to breakthrough at times.  And with the writer’s block there is a lock in creativity, and exhaustion, and lack of sleep, and fighting the lies that say “you can’t do it”, “you aren’t good enough”.

Am I really struggling with writer’s block, or am I fearful of taking the next step in this journey?

My heart is processing and pondering.  Today I will simply let go and give it to God, knowing that the words will come, in His time, as I lean on Him.

And so I wait.

Beth
    November 7, 2013 at 3:00 am

Oh how I love you dear friend and I feel your heart through the beautiful words you have shared. Your beautiful honest words. God uses you in so many ways; even through writers block. You gave it to Him and this post I have a feeling many will read and be so grateful for how you have openly shared. Isn’t that what draws us closer??? When we really get honest because this writing…this life…is hard. Oh I’m so darn emotional! Please know I’m praying for you and will always, ALWAYS be here.
    Beth recently posted..Three Word Wednesday: He is Enough

November 8, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Thank you so much Beth. I wasn’t going to post because I felt it was such a downer. I appreciate you. Know that I am praying for you and loving on you from afar.

Rosann
    November 7, 2013 at 5:55 am

It seems to me, God did give you words, friend. He just wanted you to be real today. Because when you’re real, your friends (me in particular) are inspired and encouraged in our own journey of trying to be real, of trying to be all and do all. Your words ministered to my very weary heart this morning. I feel so…overwhelmed… I’ve completely over scheduled myself in so many ways and I long for rest and to simply live life fully so I’ll be able to write from the overflow too. How do you unschedule what has already been committed to though? I feel like I just need to push through it and schedule time for rest the first moment I can. Pray for me? 🙂 Love you, friend.
    Rosann recently posted..Thank You, God, for the Feeling of Warmth

November 8, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Rosann, I am definately praying for you. I know what it’s like to over commit and feel as if you can’t do anything about it. Listen to the Holy Spirit. He will let you know if something needs to go. Sending you big hugs from afar!

Dayle
    November 7, 2013 at 7:36 am

Oh, Barbie … I can relate to this and recall many times feeling much the same way. Our of words and out of steam. Sometimes we find our strength in stillness, which seems to be contrary to what our bodies are saying we “need” to do.

Follow your heart and I know the fog will lift in time.
    Dayle recently posted..Autumn’s Quilt ~ A Work of Art

November 8, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Thank you, Dayle, for your kind and encouraging words!

Dayle
    November 7, 2013 at 7:43 am

I don’t know if this will help, but here’s a look at a similar time in my life, if you have a few minutes for reading.

November 8, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Is there a place I can go to read the article in print? I can’t seem to enlarge it on the page.

Jacqui
    November 7, 2013 at 8:18 am

Oh, I understand these feelings, and I am not much into blogging or social media these days. Just exhausted from life. Praying for refreshing, Barbie. And when you’re ready, when God gives you words, I’m excited to read them! Blessings.
    Jacqui recently posted..Comment on When Parenting Requires Faith by Jacqui

November 8, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I’ve missed you Jacqui! Parenting and pregnancy are hard things. Praying you’re feeling well these days.

child of God
    November 7, 2013 at 10:38 am

Well for someone with writers block I think you did an amazing job on this post. 🙂 I wish I could write so well.
    Hang in there the words will come, they always do. Lifting your need up to Father.

Blessings.
    child of God recently posted..Fasting and Praying for Pastor Saeed!

November 8, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Oh Child of God, you write His heart. You write to bring awareness of the hurt and pain of others. I am so thankful to be able to partner with you in intercession for so many.

Amy Kelly
    November 7, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Barbie, thank you for being real!! I can so relate and I appreciate you putting words to my frustration!! Bravo!! I think THIS was a pillar post!
    Amy Kelly recently posted..Counting My Blessings

November 8, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Ha ha Kelly! I should write pillar posts like this all the time. Thanks for stopping by!

Jennifer Peterson
    November 7, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Love you! Been praying for you!!
    Jennifer Peterson recently posted..Grace

November 8, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Thank you Jennifer!

Jamie
    November 11, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Barbie, I love your honesty. What a gift your words are! I can so relate.

P.S. your site looks beautiful! Such a fitting backdrop for words such as yours.
    Jamie recently posted..Hello Monday :: Encouragement for Your Week

November 12, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Thanks so much Jamie! Have a blessed day.

Wanda
    November 12, 2013 at 4:52 am

Oh my Barbie, it’s like you have written what I have been thinking. At times it feels as if blogging was easier in the days when I knew little about the must do’s. I’m fighting a bit of dry spell myself. Thanks for giving voice to what many of us feel. Many blessings to you. And take a break when you need to because we will be around.
    Wanda recently posted..The Mighty League, Vol. 1: The Terrible Taunting Storybook App

November 15, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Thanks so much for your encouragement Wanda. I think I went too hard, too fast with the book, the newsletter, the art and the new design. I’ve had to slam on my breaks and haven’t quite gotten my MOJO back yet. But, I know I will. I appreciate your encouragement.

Alison Hector
    November 15, 2013 at 9:11 am

“Am I living life, truly living, in such a way that I have memorable moments to share?” I fight with that too, Barbie. Sometimes letting go is the best thing we can do to overcome the exhaustion that comes often with blogging and its attendant duties. I know I’ll take some time off in December for sure. We need replenishing, and rest is often the only way to get it.

Cheers,

Ali
    Alison Hector recently posted..Three things I know to be true

November 15, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Thanks for stopping by Alison and for your kind words. Blessings!

Ceil
    November 15, 2013 at 9:15 am

Hi Barbie! I am coming over from Wanda’s blog.

You have a lot on your plate, don’t you. Congrats on the book though, that is SO exciting! I can’t imagine how much work that is.

Sometimes Jesus wants us to come away with him. And when something has to go in order to make that happen, I think it’s pretty easy to feel confused, sad and busy. Maybe you don’t have the time you used to have, but God has given you such blessings!

Go ahead and take a deep breath. If you don’t have much to write, that’s ok. Maybe God wants you to take a few minutes for yourself! You are doing so much for your career and your family, no wonder you feel dry. I’ll be praying for you and for your peace. And I know it will come.
    Have a wonderful weekend 🙂
    Ceil
    Ceil recently posted..Good Cop/Bad Cop

November 15, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Thank you so much for your encouragement today Ceil. Did my heart so good!

Monica
    November 16, 2013 at 5:48 am

Barbie, I learned of your site through The Watered Soul with Wanda. This post was one of her suggested reads for the weekend and boy was it right on time for me. I am in the middle of trying to write a very similar post and even that one has been a beast to write. I could feel your “letting go” through this post, though. Your candor is refreshing and had certainly made me feel better about the dry season I’ve been in. It’s strange because in this year, as a newlywed, I truly thought I’d have more to write than any other. Maybe that was my expectation but not God’s instruction. I haven’t posted a word in nearly 3 months. However, as I started to embrace the silence I was able to hear some things The Lord was instructing me to do and reminding me of, mainly to not conform to the ways of the world. Even with our blog homes we should be led to build they as the Holy Spirit leads. Hearts are at stake. We must be good stewards. Sometimes the best message is one like you’ve posted here. It certainly was confirming and liberating for me to read. Thank you for sharing.