35 In Weekend Whispers

The Weekend Brew: In Plenty And In Want

Hands in knitted mittens holding a cup of tea

God has a way of humbling me.  He reminds me over and over again who it is that is in control of my life, and it’s not me.  Perhaps I should be glad that I am not the one calling the shots.  Some days though I act like I know what’s best.  But when it all comes down to the thick and thin of life, without the strength of the Lord, I would not have been able to endure much of what life has brought my way.

I’ve been pondering this scripture this week.  I cannot say with all honesty that I can yet shout this one from the roof tops. Oh, I believe that with Christ and His strength I can do all things.  But it’s the first part, the being brought low, and believing STILL that He is working His strength in those moments.  And learning the secret of facing hunger?  I am ashamed to say that I’ve been known to complain when money was short and we needed a few pantry items and didn’t have the money to get them.  Yet, there are children starving in a neighboring town as well as around the world.  What do I have to complain about?

I do really well at the abounding and plenty part.  I am quick to give God praise and go along my merry little way.  But I am striving to know, in those moments of lack, of want, of hunger that He is close to me. I long to feel His strength in those moments, not my strength mixed with His, because I have none.

I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:12-13)

In this season of thanksgiving, I am thankful that God continues to humble me.  I must be brought low so that I can see higher, climb higher and understand that truly I only have that which He gives me the strength to possess.  So today, I am thankful for my lack, for my want, for my need.  I am thankful that He continually brings me to a place of recognizing  my need of Him.  How great that need is!  For without Him, I truly have nothing.

TheWeekendBrew_Button-1Now it’s your turn to share encouragement here at The Weekend Brew.
1. Share a post, photo, scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post, or simply link here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others if you have time).

Mia
    November 23, 2013 at 2:35 am

Dear Barbie
    Humbling ourselves under the mighty, yet generous loving Hand of our Pappa is a prerequisite of following Jesus. But He promises that after a little while He will lift us up in His glory, my friend. When that complaining monster wants to suffocate my heart, I have learned to give my spirit into Pappa’s hands and like Jesus, I ask Him to glorify His name. Barbie, He just picks us up and carries us through the trials! You always encourage me and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    Blessings XX
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..The Flying Dutchman

November 23, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Thank you Mia, for being such a constant encourager to my own heart. Blessings!

Diane | An Extraordinary Day
    November 23, 2013 at 5:22 am

So often we spout the final sentence in those verses, Barbie. Thank you for sharing both and putting it all together as a thoughtful reminder of how we are to live. Being thankful when there’s only oatmeal in the cupboard for the main meal and seeing the grace in realizing that there is cocoa and sugar to dress up the meal of oatmeal was a lesson I had to learn. Yet, that week of oatmeal was a blessing. And the week later when we could buy a chicken to roast and make soup seemed like a feast. We really can do all things in his strength can’t we?

May your weekend be filled with his presence and strength.
    [hugs]
    Diane | An Extraordinary Day recently posted..Vintage Flow Blue Thanksgiving Table Setting :: The Week at a Glance 11/23

November 23, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Thank you Diane. Have a blessed Sunday!

Joan
    November 23, 2013 at 5:26 am

God always meets our needs, doesn’t He? You are so right…I don’t need to complain for He has blessed me. And, the greatest gift He has given is that of Himself! In Him, we are truly blessed!

In His grip, Joan
    Joan recently posted..Stop, Look and Listen

November 23, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Oh AMEN Joan!

Beth
    November 23, 2013 at 6:05 am

Such beautiful words, as always, my friend. You have really made me stop on read this verse this morning. I love how you do that!!
    Have a blessed Saturday.
    Love you.

November 23, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Praying for you continually my friend!

Kim Adams Morgan
    November 23, 2013 at 6:26 am

Hi Barbie, that’s one of my favorite scriptures, and one of the most frequently referenced out of context (so we just learned in Theology). I’m learning to be content in all circumstances and grateful for the good gifts from our Lord in the lean and plenty. He is all we need now and in the end! I just love your blog.
    Kim Adams Morgan recently posted..Living in an Unhappy Marriage

November 23, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Thank you Kim! I’ve enjoyed getting to know you!

Healed By His Wounds
    November 23, 2013 at 8:16 am

An inspiring post today, Barbie, drawn from a favorite passage of mine. So powerful, those words — “I can do all things through Christ” — when we remember the context in which they are said.

Loved this sentence of yours: “I am thankful that He continually brings me to a place of recognizing my need of Him.”

Our neediness. His strength. Designed for each other…

As you write, being grateful in our need is such a challenge. But so is being needy in our gratitude: for in times of plenty, it can be so easy to lose sight of how empty, weak, and undeserving we truly are BUT FOR HIM.

Grateful for His Grace, in all things, with thanks for these much-needed reminders today…

~HBHW
    Healed By His Wounds recently posted..Yielding to Love

November 23, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I never want to lose sight of my emptiness, my weakness. I must always recognize my need of Him.

Jen
    November 23, 2013 at 8:32 am

Barbie – I am always caught up by your beautiful heart whenever I come here. Oh to rejoice in all things…to give praise, not just in our abundant, but in our lack! I agree, rejoicing in hardships can be a difficult thing, for sure…but so, so powerful, when we do! Thanks for leaving us with the power of scripture that assures us, “We can do all things in Him who strengthens us”! Such hope for the day, friend! Thank you! ~ Jen
    Jen recently posted..How Disney Poisoned My Marriage

November 23, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Thanks for stopping by Jen!

Elizabeth
    November 23, 2013 at 9:31 am

I love your photo and verse, Barbie!
    Elizabeth recently posted..John 16:24…

November 23, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Thanks Elizabeth. Good ‘ole stock photos!

June
    November 23, 2013 at 10:18 am

“I must be brought low so that I can see higher, climb higher and understand that truly I only have that which He gives me the strength to possess.” – wonderfully encouraging, Barbie!
    June recently posted..Inspired by. . . the arrival

November 23, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Blessings to you June!

Rachael
    November 23, 2013 at 10:29 am

Amen, Barbie! Sometimes it is in those low places where I feel safest. I am out of the way so God can move and I relinquish my control and expectations to His will. I need to be there right now as a matter of fact! blessings to you this weekend…love, Rachael
    Rachael recently posted..The Apple of His Eye

November 25, 2013 at 8:57 am

Yes! I agree. Laura Hackett has a song that talks about the river rushing to the lowest place. That’s where I’d like to stay. Blessings!

Marlen
    November 23, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Thanks for visiting my blog! I am definitely going to start linking up to The Weekend Brew. Thanks for the invite =)
    Marlen recently posted..La, La, La Life Goes On!

November 25, 2013 at 8:57 am

Thanks for stopping by Marlen. Have a lovely Thanksgiving!

Kathryn Ross
    November 23, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Hi Barbie! I’m linking with Weekend Brew for the first time and look forward to sharing more in the future – and getting to know you and the other bloggers better through our sharing together in God’s Word. I am feeling the smack of your post today – you have described me this very day. I have been struggling with doubt and discouragement through a financial downturn even though I know the Lord has promised provision for the vision I am walking in. How small our faith sometimes – so glad Jesus gives Grace and Faith so freely! My five part series this week on the Plimoth Plantation Thanksgiving is a testament to His abundant gifts and purposes – purposes beyond a full pantry. May you know Him and His gifts richly this Thanksgiving week!
    Joy!
    Kathryn Ross (Miss Kathy)

November 25, 2013 at 8:58 am

So thankful you stopped by Miss Kathy!

Janis@Heart-Filled Moments
    November 24, 2013 at 12:00 am

Learning to lean on His strength and to be thankful in all circumstances is one of the hardest things in this Christian journey. It is so counter to what the world tells us. So it is a process of staying in Him and His word. He will bring us along.
    Blessings,
    Janis
    Janis@Heart-Filled Moments recently posted..Celebrating in His Majestic Creation

November 25, 2013 at 8:59 am

Amen Janis! He will indeed!

Beth
    November 24, 2013 at 4:47 am

Have I told you how much I love you? :)))

You bless me with your words and always seem to share exactly what I need to hear. Love how God works that way.

Have a blessed Sunday friend.
    Beth recently posted..A Sunday Prayer

November 25, 2013 at 8:59 am

Now you have me singing that song, “Have I told you lately that I love you”. Ha ha! Happy Thanksgiving my friend!

Laurie Collett
    November 24, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Praise God for blessing us in the valleys as well as on the mountaintops! Thanks for the beautiful post & for hosting & God bless!
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Triplets of Unity: Triune God, One Will – Christ’s Earthly Ministry and Church

November 25, 2013 at 9:00 am

Blessings Laurie!

Lisha Epperson
    November 24, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I’d say you’re right where he wants you to be Barbie…in full recognition of your great need for Him. Congratulations on the ebook..what an accomplishment. Praise Him!
    Lisha Epperson recently posted..Gratitude :: a memory

November 25, 2013 at 9:00 am

Thanks for stopping by Lisha!

Lyli @ 3-D Lessons for Life
    November 24, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Barbie, I just finished doing a Beth Moore study called “Sacred Secrets,” so this translation caught my attention. It was yet another reminder that as I draw near to Him, He provides Himself — which is really all that I need.

Hugs 🙂
    Lyli @ 3-D Lessons for Life recently posted..Thunder Victory

November 25, 2013 at 9:00 am

Mmmm, yes, He is all I need. AMEN!

Donna Reidland
    November 29, 2013 at 9:19 am

Barbie,

How often we quote Philippians 4.13 without the whole content of the passage, especially verse 12. Thanks for your gentle reminder.

In Him,
    Donna Reidland
    Donna Reidland recently posted..November 29 “Struggling to trust God?”