Faith

Embracing The Simple Joy Of Being Loved

Red polka dots cup on wooden table over wallpaper with snowflakes

Red polka dots cup on wooden table over wallpaper with snowflakes

There is this story I’ve been reading a lot this week, that of the birth of a King, who left His Kingdom, came as a baby, born in a stable, laid low in a manger, wrapped in swaddling clothes.  He is a King for all the world, yet so much of the world does not know Him.  And some who know Him struggle to understand His coming.  Why did He come?  And if He is a king, why didn’t He come in a more glorious fashion?

For me, the story of Christmas goes back to one of the first verses I ever memorized in God’s Word:

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.  (John 3:16)

For God so loved…that He gave.

This story of a King who left His heavenly inheritance to come down to a lost and dying world, all points back to love.  The love of a Father, so strong that nothing would ever separate those who believe from it.  And the way He came — lowly, humble, tiny, powerless (at least for a time), it helps me to understand that I don’t have to be anything big or powerful to come into His presence.

This Father, He draws us.  Especially those who do not yet believe.  I wonder, do they recognize their need of Him?  Their need of a Father, one who loves them unconditionally, without expectation.  Do they recognize their need of a Savior?  One who came to set them free and bring them back to their Father’s house.

Today, I am embracing the simple joy of being loved.  My Father in heaven loved me so much that He gave His son.  I did not have to earn this gift of love, nor did I have to perform to deserve it.  It was given freely.  It was given without regard to what I do or don’t do. My past, present and future, good or bad, is held in the loving hands of a Father who will never turn His back on me.

I’ve spent my entire Christian life unwrapping this gift of love.  Who am I that God would send His son, as a free gift for me?

John316.1

As I prepare my heart to receive Him fully once again, surrounded by the love of friends and family, I reflect on the simple fact that I am loved.

What comes to your mind when you think about the simple joy of being loved?

Merry Christmas my friends!

14 thoughts on “Embracing The Simple Joy Of Being Loved”

1. Joanne Viola says:

I am so grateful that He loves me. To be able to write that in a present active tense is so amazing to me. He loves me – just as I am – today. Barbie, may you & yours have a most blessed Christmas!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Preparing Room

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Joanne! Praying your Christmas is blessed!

2. traci beeson says:

this spoke to my heart in such a sweet way today – like getting a tight hug and an “i love you” straight from my Abba. <3
    thanks for this, barbie, and the merriest of Christmases to you!!
    traci beeson recently posted..life lately

1. Barbie says:

Awe, so glad. I got a tight hug myself when I wrote it! Blessings and Merry Christmas Traci!

3. Beth says:

I’m agreeing with Traci because it is so true. Coming here is always like getting a hug and love you from our Heavenly Father. Merry Christmas to you, Barbie. May it be joy-filled.
    Much love,
    Beth
    Beth recently posted..A Christmas Home Tour ~ 2013

1. Barbie says:

Love to you Beth. Enjoy your time with your sons. May Father wrap you up tight in His arms. Praying you get to skype with your hubby!

4. Lea says:

Beautiful post Barbie! Hoping you are enjoying a wonderful Christmas with your family and you will be especially blessed in 2014!
    Lea recently posted..From Our House to Yours

1. Barbie says:

Abundant blessings to you and yours Lea!

5. Debbie says:

There is nothing we can do to earn His love. I’m always amazed by His grace. I’m sorry you’re not feeling well Barbie. Praying that you get rest and recover quickly my friend.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..Thankful Thursday ~ Quiet Christmas Blessings

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Debbie! I’m starting to feel better. Have a blessed weekend.

1. Barbie says:

Truly, it is Susan. Praying you had a blessed Christmas!

6. Ashley says:

Been missing reading my favorites. I really hope you had a blessed Christmas, and praying a wonderful New Year for you, sweet Barbie!
    Ashley recently posted..What’s Next

1. Barbie says:

Thank you so much Ashley! Praying for a blessed and joyous New Year for you and your family.