19 In Featured Guests

10 Things I Believe {Guest Post by Holly Barrett}

Today I am thrilled to welcome Holly Barrett into this space to share with you today.  I just love this post.  It made me smile and had me searching for my own 10 things I believe.

Welcome Holly!

1616634_10151892088552341_1721688609_n

We all have some basic assumptions about life that are fundamental to who we are and how we operate in this world. Since this past year was one of great transition for me, I spent a lot of time examining who I am and what informs my life. As very complex human beings, we probably can’t boil our lives down to ten pithy statements! Although not an exhaustive list of what makes me tick, it was interesting to choose a few things to share. So from the ordinary to the extraordinary, here are 10 Things I Believe:

1. NC truly is God’s country.

I know some of you will disagree with me, but it’s true. From the ocean to the mountains, there is beautiful scenery and wonderful people. I’m a native North Carolinian but it took five months in another state last year to remind me how blessed I am to live here! There truly is no place like home.

2. Grandchildren are the best!

I love my kids and enjoyed most every stage of their lives. But having adult children is probably my favorite. It’s wonderful to be friends with them and to see them live independent and productive lives. And of course, when they give you grandbabies that is the icing on the cake! My grandchildren are the most beautiful ones on the planet. You may think yours are the most beautiful…and rightfully so. I’d just be willing to match you picture for picture!

3. Real relationships can grow online.

I’m not talking about eharmony or Match.com. I’m talking about growing relationships in the larger body of Christ. I’ve enjoyed several online communities in the last year and have developed some very close relationships. We share and pray and write together. We love each other and long for the day when we can meet in real life. It doesn’t take the place of local community. It simply enhances the bond we share as God’s children and gives us a glimpse of the bigger picture of how God is working all over the world.

4. God’s word is absolute life to me.

This past year, I participated in scripture memory with an online community. We each chose our own verses and memorized a new one every two weeks. Since I was not in community with a church family, was traveling some, and visiting lots of churches, this scripture memory became a lifeline to me. It soothed my soul, calmed my nerves, reminded me of God’s love and provisions, and provided the community I desperately missed. I’m excited about learned 24 more verses this year!

5. Education is the key to having options and creating opportunities for our young adults.

In my current ministry role, I work with disadvantaged young adults. Many of them are trying to break generational cycles that have persisted for years. Outside of being in relationship with Jesus, helping these young people to establish goals and finish their educations is probably the single most important thing we can do for them. With an education, they have options for employment which leads to higher earnings which leads to rising above poverty. We have to create as many opportunities for them to succeed as possible.

6. The minor annoyances most of us experience in our families are not worth losing our relationships over.

We all have the relative that makes us crazy. Or we find that those quirky habits of our siblings have just gotten more quirky as we’ve grown up. Or maybe they’ve gained some new habits that are not endearing. I tried to remind myself that maybe I’m the one who frustrates my family sometimes too! We may fight hard, but boy, we are committed to loving hard too!

7. Doing something you are passionate about brings great joy.

For me, it’s writing. I’ve often said I have so many words, so if I didn’t write some of them down, I would drive myself (and everyone around me) crazy with the sound of my own voice! The rest of that truth is that writing fuels my soul. Some days the words tumble out at an alarming pace. Yet even on the days when I struggle to string enough words together to make a sentence, I find fulfillment in the process. It may be work but I never dread it. What are you passionate about?

8. We are all older to someone.

God’s word is quite clear on how we are to be mentoring the next generation…and the one after that. It’s not up to just the oldest among us to be doing so because we are all older to someone. We may have been alive longer…or we may just have more experience in some area than others, without respect to our chronological ages. Maybe we’ve been a mother longer, a Christian longer, a wife longer, or maybe we’ve just walked with God longer. We all have something to give. Let’s be intentional about reaching out to encourage someone else on their walk.

9. When you can’t see God moving, trust His goodness.

Writing in the middle of one of my hardest seasons last year was difficult. I was so filled with questions that it was hard to find and express positive and encouraging thoughts. But if life has taught me anything, it’s that even when we can’t see God’s hand at work, we still have to trust His heart of goodness towards us. He loves us. He believes in us. He is always working in each situation for our good.

10. Finally, the Broncos can win the Super Bowl.

I don’t know if they will or not, but they certainly have the ability to do so. With kids who’ve lived in CO for the last few years, it was inevitable that we’d all become Broncos fans. I’d hoped for a Panthers-Broncos Super Bowl but since that’s not to be, I’ll be wearing my Broncos t-shirt next Sunday!

What’s one thing you would put on your list?

Holly closeupHolly is a Christ-follower, minister, speaker, writer, mother and YaYa from NC. She is also an extreme extrovert who loves to laugh, and enjoys being called Princess Holly. She is after all a daughter of the King! Varied life experiences as a preacher’s kid, survivor of domestic violence, and single mother have given Holly an insight and compassion into the many of life’s challenges. Her passion is connecting people with Jesus and sharing her life’s message of God’s redemption. An extreme extrovert, Holly loves ministering to people and works with young adults as a Program Director for The Crossnore School in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of NC. Next to Jesus, Holly’s greatest love is her precious grandbabies and their parents who proudly serve our country in the US Air Force and US Army.    Blog / Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest / Google+

Holly Barrett
    January 27, 2014 at 3:07 am

Thanks, Barbie! Such an honor to be here at your place. I look forward to hearing from some others about something they believe. Have a blessed day!
    Holly Barrett recently posted..One Body

January 27, 2014 at 9:02 am

The pleasure is all mine! Blessings!

LeeAnn G Taylor
    January 27, 2014 at 4:05 am

I loved this list! Especially #3, #4, #7, #8 and #9. community, scripture, writing, mentoring, and trust. Thanks for sharing!
    LeeAnn G Taylor recently posted..I’m Sticking Around

Holly Barrett
      January 27, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Thanks, LeeAnn. Totally love that you gave the numbers for your faves!
      Holly Barrett recently posted..One Body

Mary
    January 27, 2014 at 4:15 am

What a great list…I can relate to some and not others (I have no grandchildren *smile*) I LOVE LOVE LOVE North Carolina…all parts of it.
    Mary recently posted..Going at once…when I would rather ask why

Holly Barrett
      January 27, 2014 at 5:14 pm

So glad to hear that you love NC too. Grands are totally the best and I hope you get to join the grandma fun some day!
      Holly Barrett recently posted..One Body

Joanne Viola
    January 27, 2014 at 4:46 am

I loved reading these 10 things about Holly. I have been so blessed & encouraged by her. There is so much wisdom in this post. So glad to learn more about her today!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Deer, Paths & Assurance

Holly Barrett
      January 27, 2014 at 5:14 pm

You are too sweet, Joanne! I’m always encouraged by you too!
      Holly Barrett recently posted..One Body

Lisa notes
    January 27, 2014 at 7:20 am

I’ve vacationed in NC and I agree that it is beautiful country! I don’t have grandkids yet, but the general consensus is always that they are wonderful so I do look forward to that stage when the time is right. And yes, online relationships are just as real as in-person ones. I might not have believed it 10 years ago, but I definitely do now. And thank God for it!

I love # 9: trust God’s goodness, even when we can’t see it.

I’m a Manning fan from way back so I’ll be pulling for the Broncos too. 🙂
    Lisa notes recently posted..Favorite Bible verses to memorize

Wanda
    January 27, 2014 at 10:58 am

Holly I enjoy your list and like Mary I can’t relate to all of them. Number 5, 8, 6 really resonate with me. I don’t know the first thing about football so I’ll have take you word about the Broncos 🙂
    Wanda recently posted..Friday Finds: Weekly Blog Love

Holly Barrett
      January 27, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Well, Wanda, you can root for the Broncos since you don’t know anything about either team! 🙂 So glad that some of my list resonated with you and appreciate you reading and commenting.
      Holly Barrett recently posted..Testimony Tuesday: Before and after

Beth
    January 27, 2014 at 4:04 pm

You are such a delight, Holly. This made me smile. #6 hit me hard…I’m struggling with some family relationships. 🙁 #10 made me laugh even though I don’t watch football. I just loved that you threw it in there.
    Blessings to you friend.
    Thanks, Barbie, for having sweet Holly at your place today. She is one inspired blogger!
    Beth recently posted..(in)courage: Daring to Dream

Holly Barrett
      January 27, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Beth, I’m praying for you and your family relationships. You are such an encouragement to me and I appreciate your sweet spirit. Glad I made you laugh today! Go Broncos!
      Holly Barrett recently posted..See your beauty

bluecottonmemory
    January 27, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Oh, Holly – we are soul sisters on 5, 7 and 8 – and if Peyton Manning is the Bronco’s QB – I’m with you there – however, there’s a little town that’s been swallowed up by Louisville – and I think part of heaven must look like that – maybe our towns will be right next to each other!
    bluecottonmemory recently posted..The Winter of a Prayer Journey

Debi Stangeland
    January 29, 2014 at 11:18 am

Great list Holly. #10 is really the best one though. OMAHA!!!
    Debi Stangeland recently posted..Painless Pinterest

June
    January 29, 2014 at 11:46 am

I’ll admit, your ten things were not what I expected from the intro – but what a JOYful encouraging post! A snapshot of Holly Barrett. You seem link someone I would definitely like to meet. Thanks for sharing this, Holly! and Barbie, thank you for sharing Holly with us!
    June recently posted..Inspired by. . . lone survivor

Elizabeth@BeautyObserved
    January 29, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I agree with so many of these.

I was a child that lived below poverty. After the love of Jesus, education was key.

I can’t wait for the grandbabies!

Thank you for sharing with us!
    Elizabeth@BeautyObserved recently posted..Cabin Fever Blues

Missy
    January 30, 2014 at 6:58 pm

I loved this list! Numbers 3 and 4? YES YES YES!!!!
    Missy recently posted..Determination for the Destination