Faith

The Time Comparison Almost Destroyed My Life

Kill_Steal.2

Today I am honored to be guest posting over at Laura Rath’s place, sharing my heart as part of her comparison series. Comparison is something that I am all too familiar with. I’m still not quite free of it yet, but I am farther along than I was.  In my post, I share about a time that comparison nearly destroyed my life.  Here is a small glimpse:

It was an innocent attraction.  I was in a very low point of my life and although I carried myself as one who was secure and loved on the outside, I was empty, lonely and dissatisfied with my life on the inside.  All of the comparing I had done through the years leading up to my marriage was finally manifesting in ways I never new existed.  Why was her husband more affectionate?  Why was her husband more gifted? Why did her husband bring her gifts?  Why did her husband call her just because?  Why couldn’t my husband do those things?

I had internalized all of the places of lack in my soul and made myself believe I was unsatisfied with my marriage, when in fact my eyes were turned to what I thought everyone else had, and onto what I thought I lacked.  My vision was blurred and I could not see the blessing that God had put right in front of me.  There was nothing wrong with my marriage.  But there was something wrong with me.  I had taken my eyes off of the one I loved and went in search of something, anything to satisfy my weary heart.

Compare x480 LR

Friends, will you head over to Laura’s space to read the rest of my post? I pray it will encourage your heart.

8 thoughts on “The Time Comparison Almost Destroyed My Life”

1. Mia says:

Dear Barbie
    I don’t seem to find the rest of your post at Laura’s. I am always excited to see how you draw much closer to Jesus each and every day that passes.
    Blessings XX
    Mia

1. Barbie says:

I apologize Mia. The link has been corrected. I hope you’ll go over and read! Blessings!

2. Rosann says:

Barbie, I would have left a comment over at Laura’s site but my comments with Google commenting system always disappear into never never internet land. So I’m leaving my comment here instead.

Your story captivated me. Do you have any idea how much I can relate with you? My comparison problem is not in my marriage, but it is in my own self-worth. I constantly compare myself to other women and their lives. She has a degree. I don’t. She’s smarter than me. She’s so beautiful. She has a better body. She’s more gifted. She’s stronger in her faith. She’s a better mother. She’s a better writer. …and on and on and on it goes. I constantly struggle with feeling unaccepted by the world around me. And truth be told, even though I have an AMAZING husband, I have had comparison thoughts of ‘why can’t he be more outdoorsy like her husband?’ or ‘why can’t he take his health more seriously like so and so?’

Anyway, I’m rambling. But I just wanted you to know I think you are an incredible woman, friend, writer, and artist. You are such a light for the Lord. Don’t ever change. You are beautiful. Inside and out. <3
    Rosann recently posted..When You Want to Contribute Financially to the Good of Your Family

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Rosann. We will be victorious over comparison this year! Let’s go!

3. Dawn St Amand Paoletta says:

Hi Barbie, I left a comment at Laura’s but it did not take for some reason-I applaud your beautiful courage for sharing from your heart. Thank you and I am so grateful that you trusted God to help you share those words- how they bless!
    Your honesty and sharing create breathing space in my faith! 😉
    Dawn St Amand Paoletta recently posted..#1000 Gifts and Counting – New Journal Reveal!

1. Barbie says:

I appreciate you Dawn, so much. Thank you!

4. Larri @ SeamsInspired says:

As someone who has been down the road that led to a dark pit of depression, I honestly know your beautiful, sharing heart gives such encouragement! Thank you. Love-n-Hugs-n-Prayers as we point others to Him, sweet friend. He was (and is!) the light in our darkness.
    Larri @ SeamsInspired recently posted..Looks As Though…

1. Barbie says:

Thank you Larri! So thankful for friends like you who bless my heart so much!