Five Minute Friday: Fight

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and a beautiful community of writers for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. This is where I get to write, letting it all go, allowing the words tucked away deep inside my heart to find their voice.

Fight

fightoffaith

I am learning that I have to fight for the things I want. I have to fight for the people that I love.  I have to fight to hold onto dreams and keep moving forward in life, when all that I really want to do sometimes is sit in a corner, bow my head and say, “Come, Lord Jesus, Come quickly”.

So I ask myself tonight, “Do I have a fight left in me?”  I’ve never been one who likes conflict.  I’m not one to push the envelope and press in for what I want. I give up too easily.  I stop way before the light turns red.  I give up long before the breakthrough.

But this year, I want to fight.  I want to fight the good fight of faith, to run the race with the joy set before me, which is Christ Jesus.  There are so many things I want to accomplish in this life still.  So many things I want to do this year, but it will be a fight.  I have way too much going on in my life.  So I will have to fight to stay focused, to stay balanced and to keep my head above water.  Life is a juggling act and I prefer to take the easy way out.

But this year, my eyes are are fixed, my feet are firmly planted, and I will press on with unwavering faith, and find that fight that is within me.  I will hold tightly to the promises of God for my life and not let go until I see them fulfilled.

Fight the good fight for the true faith. Hold tightly to the eternal life to which God has called you, which you have confessed so well before many witnesses.  (1 Timothy 6:12)

*photo credit

Now it’s your turn!  What are your thoughts when you think of the word “fight”? I would love for you to share in the comments below.

Five Minute Friday

1. Jesenia says:

It’s amazing how one word could bring out different thoughts from each of us. It’s my first Five Minute Friday and I’m being blessed by all the posts. Yours is beautiful like always. Thanks for sharing.
    Jesenia recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Fight

• Barbie says:

Thanks Jesenia! Your post really spoke to my heart, about the surrendering to gain victory. Have a beautiful weekend!

2. Growing up – I had to fight to be me – or I felt as though I would lose who I was. When I was around 30 I realized I didn’t have to fight for me anymore – I’d won that battle – and the last 8 years – I’ve been fighting for a couple of my boys who took a non-traditional approach to their education – and I had to learn to fight God’s way – meaning to give it to Him – but I had to learn what to do in the battle while He fights it. I’m a little worn down – and asking God to fire up the fight in me again – but it’s a different kind of fight – it’s a jabez kind of thing I’m working out! Wishing you blessing – your 5 minutes spoke to my heart!
    bluecottonmemory recently posted..Lassoing Time to Love

• Barbie says:

Thank you my friend. I understand the education fights. My children have always been in public school as both my husband I work full time. The last two years I attempted to try to homeschool my daughter through 8th grade, while working. It was a totally failure. We are barely schooling now, and we’ve all decided that public school is where she will go next year. All of my children have excelled there, and love and serve the Lord today. My fight will be to keep her rooted and grounded in His love and Word while being the free spirt that she is. Blessings!

3. Thanks for the reminder of 1 Timothy 6:12! We do have to fight the good fight of faith and we need to finish the race. I have felt in the most complacent place since October. Since January 1st it has been lifting and I feel more like myself. It was a strange season that I don’t care to revisit again.

The Lord is mighty in battle! I know He will fight for you as you lean on Him.

Love and hugs,
    Beth
    Beth @ My Destiny recently posted..Fight

4. Rosann says:

The word “fight” leaves a powerful impression on my heart. I have felt so many times over the past decade that I’m tired of the fight. One major life crisis after another. It seems I start my new year off always asking God, “Can this be a year that isn’t full of drama and a fight?” It’s the very human, scarred side of me dreading what could happen, but trying so hard to stay strong, confident and full of steadfast faith that no matter what happens God will never leave my side and He will carry me through. Like you, I’m determined to hold tight to my faith and the promises God has for me. 🙂
    Rosann recently posted..Day 1 Giveaway: Coffee Talk with Jesus and a Little Bit of Art Inspiration

5. Lori Harris says:

Your new patch of internet is so nice, Barbie! So clean easy to navigate! Happy for you~
    Joining you in fighting the good fight this year, lady.
    Lori Harris recently posted..Fight {Five Minute Friday}

• Barbie says:

Thank you so much Lori! Thankful to have met you through blogging. Your words always touch my heart and inspire me to be more than I am.

6. May we never let go of the fight to finish well! Great post, Barbie.
    Holly Barrett recently posted..Fight

7. Missy says:

It is a fight, sometimes, isn’t it? I am fighting to lay hold of a deeper dependence on our Good God this year. The verse you’ve highlighted here, my friend, is a great encouragement to me.
    Missy recently posted..Grace Galore

• Barbie says:

My fight this year is to stay focused on Him. Even being just 3 days in, I’ve already allowed myself to become distracted and lose sight of my goals. But yes, I will continue to fight. I will be victorious through Him.

8. Some things are worth fighting for! Welcome back to FMF, my friend! Happy New Year!
    Rachael @ Mommy LCSW recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Fight

9. ~Karrilee~ says:

Oh my friend… I know this fight! This on purpose, working on my follow through Fight! Side by side… we can do this! Here’s to going from Victory to Victory in 2014! Love you so!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..FIGHT – The Glorious Return of Five Minute Friday

10. Kim says:

I love how this word brought out so many different thoughts! Fighting the good fight (not just any old fight) is something I need to remember this year. Rise up to defend the good and not simply my own feeling of being right. Love the verse you chose, too.

11. Courtney says:

I am so used to giving up… I’m used to being a quitter. I have also resolved to fight for things a little harder this year. Thank you so much for sharing this!
    Courtney recently posted..Five Minute Friday | Fight – One For My Sister

12. Joyce says:

Never been much of a fighter here either. I like peace and dislike conflict. Somehow I’ve ended up smack in the center of something unpleasant (a volunteer position where much was going on behind the scenes, unbeknownst to me) and I am having to navigate some tricky waters. It has required me to stand firm, and speak up for those being treated unfairly. So out of my comfort zone, yet I feel God just nudging me to hang in there, to not be afraid. Honestly I have considered quitting, yesterday in particular, but today fresh eyes, fresh resolve. Thanks for sharing-this was good! Happy New Year!

13. Ashley says:

Love your new look here, so beautiful, and this? This post was just what I needed.
    Ashley recently posted..A Look Back on 2013

14. Jennifer says:

Your determination to fight forward is so encouraging! Your posts weave beautiful truth together. I enjoy them so much! Have a wonderful weekend, friend!
    PS: I love the new look!
    Jennifer recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Fight

15. Beth says:

I’m not quite sure what I would have written about this word. Maybe about my husband and his willingness to fight for our country. Maybe I would have talked about how grateful I am that He doesn’t make this choice without God….that God will be his strength. Now you have me thinking. I’m one that is not quick to step up and fight for my dreams. Has made me a little jealous of my husband. Okay, you really have me in pondering mode.
    Oh btw, really LOVE your new look here. So inviting and warm.
    Love you.
    Beth recently posted..Friday Randomness

16. Mary Hill says:

I love the verse. It is so true. Thanks for reminding us of God’s commandment to “fight the good fight.”
    Mary Hill recently posted..Five Minute Friday New Year: Fight!

17. Wanda says:

Barbie, I love your new look. We have the same taste in blog themes. I love the lovely theme. Reading your words just makes think yes I can do it!
    Wanda recently posted..The Friday Five: A Few Favorite Finds

• Barbie says:

I loved my last design too, but this one will better display my creative side. Yes, we can! Keep up the fight of faith!

18. Jacqui says:

Love this, Barbie: “But this year, I want to fight. I want to fight the good fight of faith, to run the race with the joy set before me, which is Christ Jesus.” Me, too! It is a fight of faith, and there is great joy in the end. The reward of Jesus. As always, thanks for sharing your heart. Beautiful!
    Jacqui recently posted..Comment on One Word 2014 by Becky Daye

19. Loved this post Barbie!! Yes we need to fight the good fight!
    Kristin Smith recently posted..Five Minute Friday – Fight

20. Rebekah says:

Fight the good fight of the faith! May we not get sidetracked with fighting fights that will never matter. Things unseen, not temporal things that can be seen. Keep fighting Barbie, but lay down the things that so easily beset us. Remember the victory has been won already and He will make you complete!
    Be strong and courageous, my friend.
    Rebekah recently posted..My One Word for 2014 {& Five Minute Friday: Fight}

21. Olivia says:

Yes! Yes! Yes! The good things are always worth fighting for! I love the verse youve applied here!

22. Kelly says:

Hey! Visiting from FMF! Yes! I too am fighting this year! Fighting to surrender to what God has called me to do and not hide. Love it! Let’s fight together!

23. Sarah says:

This is a wonderful post. I am a mere 35 but finding that the older I get, the harder the fight becomes. Love your thoughts. Thank you for sharing them. They are encouraging.
    ~stopping in from FMF 🙂

• Barbie says:

You’re welcome Sarah. I am 47 and yes, I can attest the fight seems harder at times. But God is victorious, AMEN?

24. Amy Tilson says:

I’m not a huge fan of conflict either, so combat is not the first thing I think of with fight. I definitely tend to think more in a “fighting for” than with sort of way.
    Amy Tilson recently posted..Five Mintue Friday – Fight the Good Fight

25. Mary says:

Your posts always inspire me Barbie…and this one is no exception. I need to fight the good fight and I like what Amy Tilson said about “fighting for” something.
    Mary recently posted..When random isn’t random, but really the plan…

26. Debbie says:

Oh yes, I too want to fight the good fight and to finish strong. But I’ve learned that the way to move forward is by abiding in Him. The Lord is doing a work on my heart within me and that spills over externally. I think that is key to finishing strong and trusting Him.

Blessings and love to you,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Fight

27. Alecia says:

Love your post – beautifully written. I wish you luck in fighting this year to live the life you want and not to let it pass you by.
    Alecia recently posted..Philly Cheesesteak Crustless Quiche

28. heather bell says:

Enduring to the end is truly the hardest. And you said it so well. The fight is exhausting and worth it, isn’t it? Enjoyed this so much. Thank you! http://bellesbazaar-heather.blogspot.com/2014/02/fight-5-minute-prompt.html