Five Minute Friday: See

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and a beautiful community of writers for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. This is where I get to write, letting it all go, allowing the words tucked away deep inside my heart to find their voice.

See

beauty_5MM_see

I awake each morning longing for the sun.  Yet it’s still dark and dreary outside.  I struggle to get out of bed and force my eyes open.  In front of me are the same things I am use to seeing every day.  Nothing has really changed much.  I pass it all by as I head downstairs to begin the mundane task of waking the children, making breakfast and getting ready for work.

The kitchen is exactly like I left it the night before.  Dirty dishes piled in the sink.  Torn pages of homework line the kitchen table.  Bits of things here and there, none of which belong there. I pass them by, refusing to see that they are out of place.

Seeing is all about perspective.  How will I choose to see this day that I have been given?  Will I pass the blessings by, seeing each one as normal and mundane?   Or will I stop long enough to stare at the pile of dirty dishes and recount His countless provision which has showered our family in this season of lack?

I do not have perfect vision.  I wear corrective lenses. My spiritual eyes need correcting as well.  And so I fix  my eyes on Him, the One who gives me the ability to see the beauty in all things.

Open my eyes Lord.  I want to see Your beauty!

Five Minute Friday

*photo credit: harold.lloyd via photopin cc

1. Heidi says:

Love this. Such a beautiful description of the struggle to maintain perspective. Needed that this week. Blessings to you!!
    Heidi recently posted..FMF – See

2. Dayle says:

Barbie, this is so true. Seeing is all about perspective. Loved this.

Have a blessed weekend, my friend.
    Dayle recently posted..I Spy ~ Do You See What I See?

3. Amy KW says:

My spiritual eyes need correcting as well.
    What a great reminder to my heart this morning! Fixing my eyes on Him……..
    I am glad to have found you on FMF!
    Amy KW recently posted..Five Minute Friday: SEE

4. Joan says:

When our eyes are on Him, they are clear!! Have a blessed weekend, Barbie!

Love, Joan
    Joan recently posted..Mighty Phone Warrior

5. Missy says:

My spiritual eyes need constant correction, too, friend. Such beauty if we fix our eyes on The Source!
    Missy recently posted..Karate Chopping Coffee Cups

6. ~Karrilee~ says:

LOVE this post Barbie! Love the truth in it and the choice in it… thanks for the reminder to SEE… to count on… to cover with grace! Love you, friend!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..Five Minute Friday – SEE

7. Natasha says:

Wonderful post my dearest Barbie!!!! Such true words!!! May He open our eyes to see more like Him this new year!!! happy and blessed New Year my dear friend!!! Much love and blessings, Natasha
    Natasha recently posted..See- Five Minute Friday

8. Sue says:

“Or will I stop long enough to stare at the pile of dirty dishes and recount His countless provision which has showered our family in this season of lack?”
    Oh, yes… that is the perspective I WANT and CRAVE every day!

“I do not have perfect vision. I wear corrective lenses. My spiritual eyes need correcting as well.”
    Yes, again, yes…
    Love this … stopped in from FMF
    Sue

9. Mia says:

Dear Barbie
    Oh, I agree that we often times feel the way we perceive life as it happens around us. A pile of dirty dishes tells the story of a load of work waiting to be done or the story of a happy evening around the dinner table with your family with food to fill their grumbling tummies! And when the eyes of our heart are fixed on Jesus, the whole world shines with His glory.
    Blessings XX
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..When Ignorance Dances

10. Rebekah says:

Love this reminder that we DO have a choice about how we walk through our day and see our lives. This is such a beautiful reminder to choose Him, to choose beauty, and to choose joy. Blessings to you, friend.
    Rebekah recently posted..Five Minute Friday – See

11. Wanda says:

Oh yes I struggle with poor vision naturally and spiritually as well. May both our eyes be open to see things as He sees them. Have a great weekend Barbie.
    Wanda recently posted..The Friday Five: Sharing the Love

12. Seeing is all about perspective. So so true!
    Holly Barrett recently posted..SEE

13. I agree! So much in life really is all about our perspective. Things can get blown out of proportion in a heartbeat with the wrong perspective. And the opposite can be true – something small can be a great blessing when viewed through the correct perspective. Thanks for sharing this with the FMF community today!
    LeeAnn G Taylor recently posted..Fear & Freedom

14. Becky Daye says:

I love the emphasis on choosing- on perspective. It is so important.
    Thankful for you! And your blog looks BEAUTIFUL!!!
    Becky Daye recently posted..Five Minute Friday~ See

15. Barbie I loved this!!! What a beautiful perspective on his provision, this spoke magnitudes to me- Thank You.

16. With you on this…the dishes and bits of homework etc. really reminded me of my own kitchen. Grateful He adjusts my vision! Hugs, Barbie!
    Dawn St Amand Paoletta recently posted..Knowing My God and More by Callie Grant (Children’s Books and Parenting Resources)

17. PS- LOVE that image. Beautiful.
    Dawn St Amand Paoletta recently posted..Join me for Coffee Talk with Jesus – Turbo!

• Barbie says:

Thanks Dawn. My best friend is quite the photographer, and she graciously gives me permission to use her photos on my blog. Love ya!

18. “And so I fix my eyes on Him, the One who gives me the ability to see the beauty in all things.” Amen!
    I know you wrote it last week, but it is a very good thought to take into this new week!
    Elizabeth@BeautyObserved recently posted..Even The Winter