61 In Weekend Whispers

The Weekend Brew: Dreaming Together

tumblr_logrb3VUdr1qjr3m1o1_500

When I was very young, I would sit for what seemed like very long moments and day dream.  I’m not sure what it was I dreamt about, but I remember sitting by windows in my home, or in corners, and just staring as far ahead as my eye could see.  I was searching for something, longing to see, yet I’m not really sure if what I dreamt about ever came to pass.

Somewhere along the way, I lost my ability to dream.  I was never told as a child that I could dream. Imagine a girl who has never evern dreamt of her wedding day!  Sure, I imagined falling in love and getting married, having children, having a home. But there were never thoughts of what the perfect wedding would be like.  I didn’t read Bride’s magazine, nor did I make a list of the qualities of a perfect husband.

I think one must be given permission to dream.  And not just permission, but I believe one must be encouraged to dream. As I’ve grown into adulthood, one of the things that I’ve been asking the Lord to do in my life is to awaken the dreams inside of me.  I know He placed them in my heart.  So I’m asking Him to reveal them to me so that I can pursue them wholeheartedly.

sheknewPLANS12x12WEB_lg

You, my friends, have given me the courage to dream again by sharing your own dreams.  And somehow, I don’t feel so alone in my journey.  You share your dreams and it helps me to uncover my own, and somehow we are living out each other’s dreams, because in reality our dreams all point back to Him.  You and me together, dreaming and receiving the courage to step out, and together bringing glory to His Name.

I am so thankful for the beautiful community of dreamers God has brought to me.  Dream on friends. Dream BIG!  Dream brave! Never give up on those dreams.  And if you don’t feel as if you have a dream, ask Him to give you one.  Ask Him to give you the courage to begin to dream again.

Do you find it difficult to dream? What is one thing you are doing to give yourself permission to dream?  Or, share a dream that God has given to you.

*linked up here:

Renewed Daily - Recommendation Saturday

TheWeekendBrewButtonNow it’s your turn to share encouragement here at The Weekend Brew.
1. Share a post, photo, scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post, or simply link here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others if you have time).

Beth @ My Destiny
    January 18, 2014 at 2:31 am

I think the enemy doesn’t want us to know how to day-dream because God uses our sanctified imaginations to see into the spirit realm.

You have overcome!

(I love the Winnie the Pooh quote and the scripture!)

Have a blessed weekend Barbie!

Love,
    Beth
    Beth @ My Destiny recently posted..Whiter Than Snow

January 18, 2014 at 10:02 am

So true Beth! Have a blessed weekend.

Sylvia R
    January 18, 2014 at 3:21 am

“If we’re in each other’s dreams, we can be together all the time.” Oh, I like that!
    And I was like that, what you described, the dreaming child, who forgot how to dream for a while.
    I think what I lost was hope. It’s hope we need, not necessarily for our personally made up dreams to come true (for, how I know, such dreams can be dangerous things!) but for what the Proverbs 19:21 box above refers to: promise and purpose for my life, in the mind of a loving God fully able to bring it into being.
    Sylvia R recently posted..“Oh, the Blessed…!” (Treasure in an Antique Diary)

January 18, 2014 at 10:06 am

AMEN Sylvia! Thanks so much for stopping by.

Amy Jung
    January 18, 2014 at 4:02 am

I think there are things that happen in life that “teach” us to not dream. The crushing of dreams. I’ve had some dreams crushed in the past year. Dreaming can turn us toward God in dependency and prayerful requests. Of course the enemy doesn’t want that. So I keep on dreaming…and hoping through prayerful requests. It is a form of worship!
    Thank you for this reminder!
    Amy Jung recently posted..Big Resolutions Vs. Little moments

January 18, 2014 at 10:06 am

Oh yes, dreaming is worship, isn’t it? It brings us closer to God, to His heart for us. Blessings to you Amy!

Joanne Viola
    January 18, 2014 at 4:50 am

I love the Winnie quote. So true that as we share dreams, we are strengthened. Thanks for sharing, Barbie! Have a great weekend.
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Of Hope, Purpose & Truth

January 18, 2014 at 10:07 am

Have a blessed weekend Joan!

Beth
    January 18, 2014 at 4:59 am

You and I seem like we are alike in so many ways. Thank you for this encouragement to dream, and dream big. I’m not really sure why but I think a good part of my life I was afraid to allow myself to dream. It played a part in it being so hard for me to actually say out loud that I just may have a God-sized dream.
    Btw, I simply LOVE Winnie The Pooh so smiled when I saw your photo this morning.
    Much love to you,
    Beth
    Beth recently posted..Friday Randomness

January 18, 2014 at 10:08 am

Have a blessed and beautiful day meeting your friends in blogland! Hugs!

Cheri
    January 18, 2014 at 5:06 am

I love Winnie the Pooh quotes 🙂 Dreaming isn’t always easy when we sometimes can’t even figure out how to get through the day. It is so important though, isn’t it? Awesome message, Barbie!
    Cheri recently posted..Love your Dreams

January 18, 2014 at 10:09 am

That’s so true Cheri. So often I think it’s because I am so busy, overloaded and just don’t take the time to be still enough to dream. Have a beautiful weekend.

Diane | An Extraordinary Day
    January 18, 2014 at 5:51 am

Dream big enormous, “God can only do this” size dreams. It’s all for him and for his glory. 😉
    One thing I have learned….busyness prevents dreaming. I don’t know that I was ever taught to dream or encouraged to dream, but I have always been a dreamer. It’s in those quiet moments that God had birthed many new things.

Dream Extraordinary dreams, Barbie!
    ~Diane
    Diane | An Extraordinary Day recently posted..Simple Valentine Vintage Window | Project Inspire{d} Week #49 & Features

January 18, 2014 at 10:09 am

Yes, Diane, I think you nailed it. I’m too busy to dream. I must slow down and take time to allow dreams to root in my heart. Blessings!

Kelsey Ferguson
    January 18, 2014 at 5:55 am

Dreaming terrifies me. I’m a live in my comfort zone kind of woman, and dreams – they require risks. I just bought Made for a God-Sized Dream by Holley Gerth a couple of days ago. I’m so excited to see how God reworks my heart on dreams! Thank you so much for this beautiful post and for hosting this link-up! I appreciate you, Barbie!
    Kelsey Ferguson recently posted..New Every Morning: Sweat, Tears and Unconditional Love

January 18, 2014 at 10:10 am

I just WON that book and received it last week. That is the next book on my list to read! Have a beautiful weekend Kelsey!

Dayle
    January 18, 2014 at 6:34 am

Dream on, Barbie! How wonderful to feel free to dream, and to know that dreams can come true.
    Dayle recently posted..When Children Pray

January 18, 2014 at 10:10 am

Thanks for stopping by Dayle!

Linda@Creekside
    January 18, 2014 at 6:44 am

ah, sweet little bear said it all, didn’t he …

a sweet weekend to you, Barbie
    Linda@Creekside recently posted..The UNword Invitation

January 18, 2014 at 10:11 am

He sure did Linda! Blessings!

Lisa
    January 18, 2014 at 7:54 am

Oh, dream big my friend… because look what happens when you dream… yep, you publish devotionals that touch people’s hearts. And isn’t that the best kind of dream to have, one that touches people. I’m so glad to be on a dream team with you 🙂
    Lisa recently posted..Comment on Friday Randomness by Dayle Allen Shockley

January 18, 2014 at 10:12 am

You encourage my heart. Thank you Lisa. Yes, that is still my dream, to keep writing to encourage women’s hearts. I am working on #2. Dream with me!

Rebekah
    January 18, 2014 at 7:55 am

We have to be vulnerable to share our dreams after we have been brave enough to embrace our dreams if we even allow our selves to dream in the first place. I think I’m slowly getting there.
    Rebekah recently posted..Words of Wisdom for the Weekend: “Face the Sermon on the Mount”

January 18, 2014 at 10:12 am

You and me both Rebekah. I need to come to a place where I realize my dreams are from Him and worthy of sharing. Have a blessed weekend.

child of God
    January 18, 2014 at 8:40 am

Hi Barbie,

I use to day dream all the time and get in trouble for it because often it was in school. It’s not that I was bored with school it was just I see things in pictures and my imagination is very wild. Often I wish I could just write what I see, I could make some great books, I just can’t get it down on paper.

You, hon, are so gifted with writing. I love how you describe and bring a story to life. The dreams you have a wonderful and I see Father is granting you your dreams. Ask big. He is a big God who provide big things. 🙂

Blessings hon.
    child of God recently posted..Hitting The Wall

January 18, 2014 at 10:13 am

Thank you so much. You encourage my heart so. Blessings!

Linda
    January 18, 2014 at 11:20 am

What a wonderful post, Barbie! I just love the picture and quote. Timeless. Precious. Thank you for inspiring us to dream, and for hosting every weekend! Blessings to you and yours.
    Linda recently posted..When I Don’t Meet My Goals

January 18, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Thanks for stopping by Linda. I really appreciate your visit!

June
    January 18, 2014 at 11:20 am

I think you are right, Barbie. Dreaming, that imaginative voice inside all of us, has to be encouraged. Whether it is verbal encouragement, or just being given a safe, creative environment to live and grow in. Like most things, if we don’t learn it as children it is more difficult to develop once we’re adults. God’s word says a lot about dreaming – I’m sure you’ve been reading! I’m so thankful that you’re finding your voice… learning to dream! Have a blessed week!
    June recently posted..Inspired by. . . a few good words

January 18, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Thanks for stopping by and linking up June!

Shelly Hendricks (@Renewed_Daily)
    January 18, 2014 at 11:26 am

You are right, Barbie, dreaming is a real blessing! Sharing dreams with others of like spirit, even more so! I think as we get older and knocked around by life a bit, it’s easy to stop dreaming because we are trying to decrease chance of disappointment. But it’s so important that we keep the faith enough to keep dreaming! Thank you so much for sharing this post over at Recommendation Saturday! Heart Hugs, Shelly <3
    Shelly Hendricks (@Renewed_Daily) recently posted..Recommendation Saturday: Meet Janis Cox and Tadeo Turtle

January 18, 2014 at 8:55 pm

You are full of wisdom Shelly. Thankful for you!

Anders
    January 18, 2014 at 3:41 pm

We distinguish between faith, hope and charity. We distinguish between psychology, sociology and theology. And when we lose hope, and that, I think, is very common among Christians today, there is something wrong with the social, that is with the community, the nation.

·:| † |:·
    Anders recently posted..The three of them

January 18, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Thanks for stopping by and linking up Anders!

Patty
    January 18, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Barbie,
    I am so glad to have a seat in the stadium of your dreaming through our connections online. You are so encouraging to others and I know God will give you the desires of your heart as you continue to seek Him and to dare to dream.
    Patty recently posted..Come to Me All Who Are Weary

January 19, 2014 at 12:53 am

Patty, so thankful to have you along on this journey!

Janis@Heart-Filled Moments
    January 19, 2014 at 12:27 am

Barbie, what a lovely post about the dreams you had as a child. It is sad that you lost some of that for the important parts of your life. I have dreams but the ones I have while sleeping never bring me peace. I do enjoy daydreaming though–much happier thoughts!!!
    Blessings,
    Janis
    Janis@Heart-Filled Moments recently posted..Love~The Word

January 19, 2014 at 12:54 am

I’m been asking God to awaken my dream life. Most of the dreams I have while sleeping cause me to be unsettled. I believe God wants to awaken heavenly dreams, both in the day and in the night, in both of us! Blessings!

Denise
    January 19, 2014 at 3:01 am

I have always tried to keep my dreams alive. I believe to achieve anything requires faith and belief in His grace and direction, hard work, determination, and dedication. I believe all things are possible for those who live their dreams!

Lovely post!
    Blessings,
    Denise
    Denise recently posted..Friends Leave Footprints

January 19, 2014 at 7:44 pm

That’s wisdom Denise! Thanks for stopping by!

Lisha Epperson
    January 19, 2014 at 9:48 am

The image of you sitting alone broke my heart. Praise God for the awakening of your dreams. Praise God for fulfillment too! This is your time Barbie! I’m grateful and encouraged to watch from the sidelines in cyberspace. Have a great week!
    Lisha Epperson recently posted..Sunday Morning :: Encouragement

January 19, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Thanks for stopping by Lisha! Thankful to come alongside of you on this journey.

Nell
    January 19, 2014 at 9:52 am

I am a day-dreamer. I see visions and dream dreams from God. I find that I become dry in these areas when I am unplugged from the Word of God. When plugged in, I can’t stop the flow.

Nell

January 19, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Thanks for stopping by Nell! I do know that I dream a lot more when I am closer to God. It’s hard sometimes to balance life. I appreciate your comment. I think I am going to love your blog. I followed you!

LeeAnn G Taylor
    January 19, 2014 at 11:25 am

I’m not much of a dreamer either. I’m more of a realist, dealing with the day to day tasks, goals, and plans. It’s my husband who is the dreamer and for a long time, I struggled to even listen to his pie in the sky dreams, much less understand them. But God is awakening something new in me, a desire to allow him to use me in ways I never could dream. While I don’t quite understand it fully, I know he has more for me to share and give and starting my blogging journey is the beginning of that. Here’s to non-dreamers dreaming!
    LeeAnn G Taylor recently posted..In the Stillness

January 19, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Thankful God is awakening those dreams in your heart. I am truly loving your writing!

Pam
    January 19, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Love that quote from Pooh… and your words here. I’m so thankful for dreams, and for you too! Thanks, Barbie.

Your words remind me of a Hallmark movie I watched last night, about a young woman whose mom shared such a wedding dream with her… ..
    Pam recently posted..The Color of Snow

January 19, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Thanks for stopping by Pam. Have a beautiful week!

Joan
    January 19, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Oh, I have dreams, Barbie! Yes, I do. It seems that recently, I have had more of a longing for my dreams to become reality and I’ve been praying for God to guide us. I don’t want to miss what God has in store for me, for I’m asking Him for courage to step forward to see what He has waiting. I will share part of my dream…it is to live near our son. That sounds like a simple thing, I know, but there is much involved in order to make that dream come true. However, God can do anything! If this is something He also desires for me, I want to find out, you know? So, we are listening for God’s direction each day and are continuing to dream.

Blessings, Joan
    Joan recently posted..That First Step

January 19, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I think that is a beautiful dream Joan. I will be in prayer for you, for His provision and perfect timing!

Laurie Collett
    January 19, 2014 at 1:18 pm

I love the quote from Winnie the Pooh! I believe God speaks to His children through dreams even today, even though He primarily speaks to us through His Word. Thanks for the great post & for hosting & God bless!
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Transitions: Triplets of Change for Children of God

January 19, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Blessings Laurie!

Dawn St Amand Paoletta
    January 20, 2014 at 7:54 am

Beautiful, Barbie. Yes, feeling less alone in this journey, knowing there are others who have dreams they are pursuing…and it is OK. Even in the midst of trials to cling to them, claim them, rediscover them. With you on the journey!
    Dawn St Amand Paoletta recently posted..Motherhood: Gavel or Grace

January 20, 2014 at 9:26 am

Thank you my friend! I can’t imagine the journey without you!

Ashley
    January 20, 2014 at 5:18 pm

I am a day dreamer too! God bless you Barbie, for always uplifting everyone who comes across your path!
    Ashley recently posted..The Magic of Ordinary Days

January 20, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Praying you have a blessed and beautiful week Ashley!

Rosann
    January 21, 2014 at 10:49 am

I’m definitely a dreamer. Always dreaming. My mom gave me permission to dream when I was younger and I haven’t stopped since. My problem? Having confidence in myself to bring those dreams to life.
    Rosann recently posted..Making the Most of Unemployment

January 21, 2014 at 7:38 pm

You are one step ahead of me, my friend. And I would say you are probably living one of those dreams now! Have a lovely week.

Lyli @ 3-D Lessons for Life
    January 21, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Barbie, thank you for reminding that it’s ok to dream. I must remember that I have a God who is into big dreams. 🙂

January 21, 2014 at 7:39 pm