45 In Weekend Whispers

The Weekend Brew: When Light Speaks

Let_there_be_light

In an awesome display of power, God spoke the world into existence.  He spoke, and light came, and complete and utter darkness was no more.

As I took just a few moments to meditate on this verse this week, I was reminded that God has given me the authority to speak light into dark places.  God spoke, and it was so.  When I speak the truth of God’s Word over a situation, asking for His light to come, it will come.

When I am surrounded by darkness, and cannot find your way,
the light speaks to show me a clear path.

When I slip into the pit of depression and fear and anxiety overtake me,
the light speaks and draws me toward it.

When I lack wisdom and am in desperate need of answers,
the light speaks and His Word comes alive in my heart.

When the world seems lost and corrupt and my heart breaks,
the light speaks and His Name will be known.

God spoke…and there was light.  And this same light speaks to you and me today, in dark places.

How has His light spoken to you recently?  I would love for you to share in the comments below.

TheWeekendBrewButtonNow it’s your turn to share encouragement here at The Weekend Brew.
1. Share a post, photo, scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post, or simply link here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others if you have time).

Dolly@Soulstops
    January 3, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Barbie,
    Lovely new look of your blog….and yes, there is power in His Word to speak light into our dark places…so grateful…happy new year…hope your Christmas time was blessed 🙂
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..What is the one thing you need this year?

January 3, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Dolly, thanks for stopping by! We had a wonderful Christmas. Have a blessed tomorrow!

Joanne Viola
    January 4, 2014 at 4:37 am

As I read your post, Barbie, I recalled, “To you the night shines as bright as day. Darkness & light are the same to you.” (Ps. 139:12). So glad that He always sees clearly through the darkness. All we need to do is follow Him.
    Joanne Viola recently posted..It Is Good

Beth @ My Destiny
    January 4, 2014 at 5:24 am

Light spoke to me this morning when I read my devotional. My eyes were opened a bit I do believe.

Thank you for the lovely post Barbie.

Many blessings!
    Beth
    Beth @ My Destiny recently posted..He is Here

January 4, 2014 at 9:14 am

He always brings His light to us when we come to Him! Have a beautiful day!

Beth
    January 4, 2014 at 5:45 am

I’m hoping some of my writing reflects what I’m reading as we begin our shared goal of reading through the Bible. So loved this today. 🙂
    Happy weekend, friend.
    Beth
    Beth recently posted..Friday Randomness

January 4, 2014 at 9:14 am

Thank you my friend. Your writing alway reflects Him. Looking forward to the revelation you receive as we walk this journey together.

Joan
    January 4, 2014 at 6:34 am

Light came this morning when reading the news to hear that the little girl kidnapped last night was found safe and the suspect arrested! So many people were praying. I can only imagine the incredible joy that family is experiencing at this very moment!
    Joan recently posted..The Courage to Heal

January 4, 2014 at 9:15 am

So thankful! Blessings!

Dawn St Amand Paoletta
    January 4, 2014 at 12:31 pm

YES! And the blog, looks fabulous! I can’t keep up with all the cool changes! I am still looking for someone to make a few changes on my blog, for a trade in services. Right now it does not seem to be in God’s plan. I actually asked someone, and they asked for my resume and what I would do for them, and then never responded back again…at all. 🙁 That made me a little sad, a respectful , no thanks, would have been kinder. Meanwhile, He continues to bring good and light…and I need to wait for His timing. I am so grateful for you shining your light continuously through Him !
    Dawn St Amand Paoletta recently posted..Battling Depression with a Notebook (RJD January 2014)

January 4, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Awe friend, I am so sorry. I’ve had a few flakes in my time. What is it you are wanting to do? Thanks for walking this journey with me. I am truly grateful for you!

Anders Vaksinius
    January 4, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Light is what we need, always! It is the image of God.

We need light,
    quite all right,
    dark the night
    without sight.

May the year 2014 be a fantastic year for you to work in!

Congratulations with the new blog look. It is very nice.

January 4, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Thank you Anders! Happy New Year!

Jamie S. Harper
    January 4, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I just so enjoying coming by and being in this space. I read about Light this morning in my devotional. I love this.
    Jamie S. Harper recently posted..Coming in January

January 4, 2014 at 2:42 pm

I love having you here Jamie! Blessings!

Sherrey Meyer
    January 4, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Barbie, I love that He is the Light of my entire world. That I know He will guide my steps, cover my needs, help me control my words and thoughts, and help me spread His Word. What an awesome post for this first Sunday of the New Year.
    Sherrey Meyer recently posted..Focusing on Having a Mary Heart

January 4, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Thank you Sherrey! May He shine the light of His face upon you this week and every day!

~ linda
    January 4, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Such beauty and simplicity, yet so profound…your words speak to me this day. We can do so much more than we are able because we are in Him. Praising God for giving us such a privilege to spread light in the darkness.
    Caring through Christ,
    ~ linda

P.S. Your website really looks great, Barbie! Such a soothing color.
    ~ linda recently posted..In His Sanctuary

January 4, 2014 at 9:01 pm

AMEN Linda! And thanks for your thoughts on the new site. I’m sort of in love with it.

June
    January 4, 2014 at 6:00 pm

What you say is so true, Barbie! Candlelight services have always been so inspiring to me – the way that single flame chases away the deepest darkness – so powerful! a beautiful picture of our Lord triumphing over evil! Have a blessed week.
    June recently posted..Inspired by. . . a new year

January 4, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Thank you for stopping by June!

Laurie Collett
    January 4, 2014 at 7:11 pm

May His light shine through us! Love the new blog look! Thanks for hosting & Happy New Year!
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Remembering His Faithfulness

January 4, 2014 at 9:04 pm

God bless you Laurie!

Rina Peru
    January 5, 2014 at 2:56 am

Your new blog design is very refreshing! Light speaking to me? I wrote about that and linked up here. A bright, blessed New Year to you!
    Rina Peru recently posted..It is Enough

January 5, 2014 at 8:35 am

Looking forward to reading your post Rina!

Debby Ray
    January 5, 2014 at 3:02 am

Barbie…a beautiful post! I am SO thankful for that Light! Thank you for hosting the opportunity to share!

Debby

January 5, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Thanks for stopping by Debby!

Sharon
    January 5, 2014 at 9:21 am

Really love the new look, Barbie!

Well, I’d have to say that the Lord shined His Light into my life when He gave me my *Word for 2014* – I’m posting it tomorrow. It sure came as a surprise. It’s a word that doesn’t come naturally to me. So, it’s going to be an adventure seeing how He works this word into my life and my heart! Because I know that He will!! 🙂

GOD BLESS!
    Sharon recently posted..NEW FEATURES FOR 2014!

January 5, 2014 at 2:57 pm

I’m looking forward to hearing about your One Word Sharon!

Linda
    January 5, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Beautiful image you’ve shared with us today, Barbie. It causes me to breathe in deeply, and yes, I say “He is Awesome”
    Thank you for hosting every week!
    Linda recently posted..Post-Holiday DeCluttering

January 5, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Thanks for stopping by Linda!

lisha epperson
    January 5, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Hey Barbie! Everything looks so beautiful around here. Kudos for change. I love it. I think God has most clearly shined his light in revealing my one word. Discipline. If I hold on for the ride,refuse to cave in or quit – I know I’ll be blessed. Have a great week.
    lisha epperson recently posted..Correction :: Finding Discipline in Motherhood and Marriage

January 5, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Thank you Lisha! I appreciate you. And you can do it girl. Discipline is something I need as well.

Janis@Heart-Filled Moments
    January 5, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Hi Barbie,
    I saw the Lord’s light shine through in healing brokenness within.
    Janis@Heart-Filled Moments recently posted..Peace With Yourself

January 6, 2014 at 10:49 am

Oh AMEN Janis! Thank you for sharing.

Lisa
    January 6, 2014 at 7:56 am

Our pastor recently preached that God is light and there is no darkness in Him. We are entering a year full of fear, and this reminder along with yours is much needed. Thank you friend! BTW… I love your blog redesign!!!

January 6, 2014 at 10:50 am

I’ll be praying for your family Lisa! So thankful that the darkness cannot exist in God’s light. I’m loving my design too!

child of God
    January 6, 2014 at 10:11 am

Hi Barbie,
    I love your picture.
    I see God’s Word work many times and just two days ago there was a spiritual battle going on around me and I was failing miserably. One would think I would get it by now but I guess either sometimes I am slow or the oppression is so thick I can’t think. Anyway I finally went into a quiet place, pick up a book filled with Scripture verse for battling warfare and started to read these verses out loud. After about 20 minuets of reading Bible verses, the warfare stopped, the oppression lifted and God’s peace descended. It was amazing and the peace so sweet.

God’s Word is light and when spoken will shine into the darkness and quench it.

Blessings sister.
    child of God recently posted..Welcome 2014!

January 6, 2014 at 10:56 am

His Word brings light. That revelation was so powerful to me, how God spoke into existence the light, and when we do the same, darkness must flee! Blessings!

Sarah
    January 6, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I look at light and darkness this way, if there is even one crack of light in any space then darkness cannot reside. I didn’t always view life that way and many times I was overly focused on the darkness surrounding me instead of seeking the light that was just waiting to be found.

January 6, 2014 at 10:45 pm

That’s so true! All we need is a little bit of light and the darkness cannot exist. Thanks for stopping by Sarah!

Lyli @ 3-D Lessons for Life
    January 9, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I wasn’t able to stop and read this over the weekend… I guess God knew I would need it today. This encouraged my heart. Thank you 🙂

January 9, 2014 at 11:10 pm

God’s timing is so perfect! Thanks for stopping by Lyli.