34 In Weekend Whispers

The Weekend Brew: Navigating Deeper Waters

ocean

*photo credit

As a child, I loved to swim.  Our family had a “Doughboy” pool in the backyard and I would literally spend hours swimming every day.  I didn’t swim really well, but since my feet could touch the bottom of this pool, I never cared much to learn how.

As a teenager, I had a fear of the ocean.  My friends and I would go to the beach, and I remember sitting in the sand watching as my friends swam in the ocean.  One day, they convinced me to go rafting with them at the beach. We got into the raft, too many of us, and got taken under by the tide.  I wasn’t wearing a life jacket.  When I hit the water, I couldn’t breathe.  The current took me out a little ways.  When I finally managed to get to the top, I had no concept of where I was.  I could see the beach, and a few of my friends, waving at me to swim back.  But I couldn’t swim well. So I did the only thing I knew how, I laid on my back and kicked myself to shore.

In my season of rest, I feel as if I am navigating deeper waters. As the Lord calls me to a deeper place in Him, sometimes I am overwhelmed by the magnitude of the water.  At times, it’s hard to breathe.  As I surrender it all into His hands, I find myself laying on my back, allowing myself to drift toward the shore.  I am learning to embrace the quiet.  I am learning that God truly is enough for me.  And in the magnitude of the laying down of self, I am thankful that no water is too deep that the love of God cannot conquer.

I miss writing here, but I am thankful for the glimpses of His love and sprinkles of His grace that He allows me to share with you.

I’ll be back!

TheWeekendBrewButtonNow it’s your turn to share encouragement here at The Weekend Brew.
1. Share a post, photo, scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post, or simply link here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others if you have time).

Mia
    February 15, 2014 at 5:13 am

Dear Barbie
    This is what is so wonderful about our new life in Jesus. We stop trying to do anything to earn His love and acceptance or add to His salvation and we just float on the oceans of His grace as we receive His ability each moment of every day as we allow Jesus to live His Life in and through us. I love Romans 5:10 where Paul talks about how we are being sanctified daily with the saving Life of Christ.
    Blessings XX
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..The Seed of Eve

February 15, 2014 at 11:15 pm

So thankful for His grace. Learning to walk this life, from glory to glory.

Beth
    February 15, 2014 at 5:37 am

Thank you, Barbie, for the way you are still ministering to me during your time of rest. Praying for you, friend. He truly is enough and you inspire me to seek more and more of Him.
    Much love to you,
    Beth
    Beth recently posted..Friday Randomness (Vol. 15)

February 15, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Love you Beth. Thank you for your constant encouragement.

Beth @ My Destiny
    February 15, 2014 at 5:58 am

Oh friend, you reminded me of a dream I had years ago. I was struggling in water … panicking as if I was going to drown. I was fighting with all of my strength. Once I saw Jesus standing further out in the water, I stopped fighting and realized I could touch the bottom. The water was calm and still. It was my struggling that made it appear like angry waters.

I know He is with you in the deep. He is so faithful.

Love and hugs,
    Beth
    Beth @ My Destiny recently posted..Show Me

February 15, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Thank you Beth. When we stop struggling, that is when we enter His rest. AMEN!

bluecottonmemory
    February 15, 2014 at 6:48 am

I love that when you were overwhelmed you didn’t give up – you were resilient and back-stroked back! We all need that spirit of not-giving up! Wishing you blessing in the deep season, in the quiet – that you find what needs finding!
    bluecottonmemory recently posted..Hope to a Hungry Sparrow

February 15, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Thank you so much my friend!

Diane | An Extraordinary Day
    February 15, 2014 at 7:41 am

I pray that during this time of rest, Barbie, you will float in HIS current and may your heart be filled with HIS peace as he “attendeth your soul.” {hugs}
    Diane | An Extraordinary Day recently posted..Ruffles : Buttons : Bows ~ Embellished Valentine Towels

February 15, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Oh Diane, thank you. I’ve missed you. Playing catch up in the reading. Hope to visit soon!

Joan
    February 15, 2014 at 8:14 am

As we lay ourselves down at His feet, He will minister to our hearts! Continuing to pray that you are experiencing peace and rest during this time!

Blessings, Joan
    Joan recently posted..The Right Direction

February 15, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Thank you so much Joan!

June
    February 15, 2014 at 8:14 am

I’m imagining that water as His arms, guiding you along the current, His path for your life, bringing you somewhere fresh, new, exciting and blessed! Have a wonder-filled week, Barbie!
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . . gnarled limbs

February 15, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Thank you June for the encouragement. You bless!

Laura Connell
    February 15, 2014 at 9:15 am

When I’ve stood at the shore of the ocean (while on vacation) I’ve been overcome by His magnitude. I’ve never feared God more than when standing at the shore of His great oceans. So powerful, so immense.

I know you’re not writing as much and I honor that…. still I’m inviting you to join me on Thursday for a linkup I’m starting on quitting things. We quit something every Thursday to make more room for Jesus. (doesn’t have to be big). Been thinking about quitting “control” and sounds from this post like you might be too!
    Laura Connell recently posted..Making room for Jesus: Quitting Thursday

February 15, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Thank you Laura. I’ll have to check out your link. I’m intrigued!

Rosann
    February 15, 2014 at 9:21 am

Sweet Barbie, your words always manage to minister to my heart. I’ve felt very much the same lately. A little trivia about me? I’m terrified of swimming in the ocean. Those deeper waters with so much uncertainty swimming below my feet that I can’t see… it’s just too much for this easily frightened girl to cope with. Yet I often feel like God is telling me, “Trust me, Rosann! I’m your life jacket. And those fish and other forms of life swimming under the depths you can’t see? They’re harmless when you keep your eyes on me.”
    Rosann recently posted..What You Need to Know About God’s Protection

February 15, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Keeping our eyes on Jesus is key, isn’t it my friend? Only when Peter took His eyes off the Lord did he waver. Hugs!

Denise
    February 15, 2014 at 9:51 am

I hope you are feeling His amazing love and grace during your time of rest Barbie; we all need rest periods to soak up His love and figure things out! Love that you took some time to share and encourage sweet sister!

Love and blessings,
    Denise
    Denise recently posted..Celebrate Your Life

February 15, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Thank you Denise. Hugs!

Shelly Hendricks (@Renewed_Daily)
    February 15, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Your post today reminds me of one of my favorite songs… an oldie but a goodie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEjFwT58Efw

Heart Hugs to you as you rest <3
    Shelly Hendricks (@Renewed_Daily) recently posted..How to Turn Fear Into a Blessing

February 15, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Thank you Shelly!

Joanne Viola
    February 15, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Your post reminded me of a song I have been singing all week – Oceans by Hillsong. Prayed for you Barbie when I read this post! Blessings!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Lessons From Hummingbirds, Tables & Skateboarders

February 15, 2014 at 11:22 pm

I’ve been singing this song all week as well my friend. It brings me so much comfort to know that He’s always with me.

Lyli @3-D Lessons for Life
    February 15, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Praying for you to be refreshed as you lean into Him. Hugs

February 15, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Blessings to you Lyli!

Laurie Collett
    February 15, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Praise God that He can walk on water, and so could we if only we could follow and trust Him completely. Praise God that His perfect love casts out all fear. Thanks for the beautiful post & for hosting & God bless.
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Transitions: Triplets of Workmanship – God’s Enemies to His Ambassadors

February 15, 2014 at 11:23 pm

I’ve been reading a lot about His love. It truly is more powerful than anything. Blessings!

Dolly@Soulstops
    February 15, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Dear Barbie,
    What a perfect analogy….and God is so gracious to catch us with His love when we dare to be quiet and to let Him come for our hearts, even when it seems scary at first, and we wonder if He will show up…He always does, even if we may not realize it till later…hugs to you 🙂
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..A Song for Your Saturday

February 15, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Thank you Dolly!

Sharon @ Faith Hope Cherrytea
    February 16, 2014 at 8:00 am

this verse came to mind “he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a place where we can be alone, and you can get some rest.””

{the verse H Sp brought to me after having just buried my MoM in November ]
    Still recognizing both need and value…
    Sharon @ Faith Hope Cherrytea recently posted..SONGS ON SUNDAYS : HOW HE LOVES US 16.2.14

February 20, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Thank you Sharon!

Mindy
    February 19, 2014 at 4:46 pm

God has been calling me to deeper waters as well…
    Mindy recently posted..Going Deep

February 20, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Take His hand Mindy, and allow Him to lead you.