21 In Weekend Whispers

The Weekend Brew: Pass Around The Grace, Please! {Inspired Blogger Guest Post}

I am excited to have my March Inspired Blogger, Rebekah of A Soft Gentle Voice, sharing her heart today. Her words are beautiful and draw me closer to Him.  If you haven’t already met Rebekah, please stop by her beautiful blog and have a look.

10150101_10152350765718384_978133_n

We’re sitting around the table with heaping servings of homemade mac and cheese and a garden salad spilling over the porcelain white serving bowl. I just “banned” ketchup as the side dish because it contains one teaspoon of sugar for every tablespoon they squeeze out. It doesn’t go over very well and grumbles become the dominant table talk.

It’s been said that we have never consumed so much sugar and we’re addicted.

Tears start flowing from the youngest. The oldest says she wishes I’d quit reading about health stuff and all the labels. The son says he wants his ketchup. The husband raises his one eyebrow at me from across the table like a question mark at the health kick I might be on and swallows it all quietly just to keep the peace.

I suggest what about a thank you for supper, Mama and the point is duly taken.

A hush falls.

We’re sitting around the world wide web with heaping servings of homespun words and a whole buffet of blogs and social media. We stuff ourselves on opinions, other’s online lives, and open letters. Grumbles become the dominant table talk.

It’s been said that we have never consumed so much technology and we’re addicted.

We are so prone to compare. What we do is never good enough. Our words will never measure up. Our lives our pathetic and not at all Pinterest worthy. Our thoughts look pretty lame when they’ve been tweeted. We won’t even start on selfieswhich happened to be the word of the year for 2013.

We wonder why we are weary.  We fill up on things that were never meant to satisfy. We fix our eyes on the things seen and not unseen. We crave things to help us choke down the mundane.

We can listen to the inside voices and the ones outside vying for our attention or we can get serious about listening to the soft gentle voice of the One who speaks to us in His Word.

Is it time for a change at our tables?

10150921_10152350765728384_1558762490_n

The best our words can do is point to the Word. None other will satisfy. No other words drip sweet like honey and satisfy our hungry souls. No other words point so eloquently to the absolute holiness of God and His steadfast love and amazing grace.

How we need to cease comparing ourselves with each other and quit worrying about measuring up to words that will fade and rather feast on the Word?

Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.” (Luke 21:33)

We are spiritually helpless. Let’s hunger and thirst after the righteousness of Christ and we will be truly satisfied.

[Tweet “Let’s dish up heaping servings of the gospel, grace and words of truth.”]

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.” (Colossians 3:16)

Let’s not compare with one another, but care for one another.  Let’s not use our words to boast in ourselves, but use our words to build one another up.

Technology isn’t going away in our lifetime, but we have a tremendous opportunity to use it to shine the light into a dark world.

And, while we’re at it, what about a thank you to our Father?

And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Ephesians 5:20)

A quiet hush will be sure to follow.

1014400_353673524735721_1499603126_nRebekah Hughes is a follower of Christ, a wife, mother, and is blessed to home educate her three children in Ontario, Canada. She writes the story of her life of which God is the Author at A Soft Gentle Voice. You can also find her on Facebook and on Twitter.

Denise
    March 28, 2014 at 4:04 am

Wonderful post.

March 29, 2014 at 8:16 am

Thank you Denise!

Beth
    March 28, 2014 at 4:31 am

This is such a beautiful and needed message. Rebekah, can I say again… you have a gift with words. I just adore both of you and truly grateful for these words this morning. I almost pushed aside time in His Word this morning…but each day I make the choice to begin with Him I learn that it is truly the only way I want to begin my day. Love you both SO much.
    Beth recently posted..Friday Randomness (Vol. 21)

child of God
    March 28, 2014 at 7:28 am

It’s funny how the family reacts to change, especially change at the dinner table. I know there are some good homemade recipes for ketchup that don’t have much sugar in them and are easy to make. Sometimes replacing an item brings on less grumbles. 🙂

Thank you Father, for You are always good!

Blessings Rebekah and Barbie for hosting this wonderful writer.
    child of God recently posted..Actionless Faith Is Dead

Lyli @ 3-D Lessons for Life
    March 28, 2014 at 9:41 am

Beautifully said, Rebekah. Thank you for reminding us to care for one another with our words (and our hearts).

Elizabeth
    March 28, 2014 at 10:25 am

Your post is full of great insights. So happy to “meet” you here at Barbie’s!
    Elizabeth recently posted..A lesson from a Ninevite king…

Mary Geisen
    March 28, 2014 at 5:28 pm

So impacted by the truth of your words today, Rebekah. I loved this quote “Let’s not compare with one another, but care for one another.” Too much time is wasted in our daily lives and shining God’s light should be the only focus we strive for. Thank you for these words and thank you for the timeliness of this post. Blessings, Mary!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..A Wink and a Nod

Rebekah
    March 28, 2014 at 6:59 pm

It was such an honour to be here today. Thank you ladies, for your loving comments. I would like to respond to each one individually, but it was a long hard day—saying goodbye to my grandma who is not well and is nearing the end of her time here. Thank you for your prayers as she is called home.
    Rebekah recently posted..Pass Around the Grace, Please

March 28, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Praying for you and your family my sweet friend. May you sense His nearness during this difficult time. Hugs!

Denise
    March 29, 2014 at 3:05 am

What a beautiful and inspiring guest post Rebekah; love the title! I love this —-> “We wonder why we are weary. We fill up on things that were never meant to satisfy. We fix our eyes on the things seen and not unseen. We crave things to help us choke down the mundane.” ♥ I love the verse found in Philippians 4:11 where Paul says “I have learned in whatsoever state I am in therewith to be content.” The Bible tells us that being content is to be satisfied to the point where we are not anxious or restless. It doesn’t say satisfied to the point where we don’t want change, but satisfied for now until God brings the change!

Thanks for hosting Barbie; blessings and love to you both for a beautiful weekend! ♥
    Denise
    Denise recently posted..Let it Go

Joanne Viola
    March 29, 2014 at 3:40 am

Beautiful post, Rebekah! It is so true. We are gorging ourselves on words all day long. The sad part is, we can mistakenly think, we have been in the Word because others write about it. We can be reading great words, wonderfully written thoughts but it should not replace the time we spend in the only Word which is a daily necessity. I am so glad that Barbie shared your post! Blessings!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Of Friendships, Approval, & Books

Diane | An Extraordinary Day
    March 29, 2014 at 6:58 am

It’s a pleasure to meet you Rebekah. Thank you so much for your thoughtful insights. May you sense an extra measure of God’s grace and comfort as your grandmothers goes ‘home.’ [hugs]

Barbie…thanks for introducing us to your friend. May your week be filled with unexpected moments of joy and grace. 🙂
    Diane | An Extraordinary Day recently posted..The Door to Happiness | Free Happiness Printable

March 29, 2014 at 8:14 am

Thanks Diane! Praying you have a beautiful weekend.

dawn
    March 29, 2014 at 11:05 am

I honestly could not have said it better myself! WOW! Beautifully expressed with grace and humility. Thank you Barbican for sharing Rebekah. Thank you Rebekah for sharing your words. I am blessed and I do concur.
    dawn recently posted..The Only (Real) Happy Ending @ 5 Minutes for Faith

dawn
    March 29, 2014 at 11:13 am

Hi Barbie… apparently my spell check has named you Barbican… lol – sorry!
    dawn recently posted..The Only (Real) Happy Ending @ 5 Minutes for Faith

April 1, 2014 at 12:30 am

Ha ha! I thought for sure you had given me a nickname!

Holly Barrett
    March 30, 2014 at 5:54 am

Love, love, love this post, Rebekah. I wholeheartedly agree with you. It used to be when my attitude was sour and my focus was on the wrong things, I would look at my relationships. Who I was spending the most time with and how was that affecting my outlook and behavior. Now that I have been working in churches and Christian organizations, I think the contributing factors are more subtle. It’s not like working in the secular world where temptations are all around. But you’ve made me think about my soul weariness…and particularly what I am allowing to impact my heart and my head. We don’t have to indulge in bad websites for technology to just wear us down. There’s so much information…even good information…and if we try to engage with all of it, we are gonna to exhaust ourselves. As with all things, moderation is the key!
    Holly Barrett recently posted..From the beginning of time

Lisha Epperson
    March 30, 2014 at 8:13 am

A well received holy hush. Thank you for reminding us all to enjoy our social media in moderation and always with gratitude. Let’s shine the light for Jesus or not at all. Thanks for introducing us to Rebekah! Have a great week ladies!
    Lisha Epperson recently posted..An Anniversary, Facebook and A Conscious Coupling :: Going 4 Forever

Laurie Collett
    March 30, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Thanks for the lovely post & for hosting & God bless!
    Laurie Collett recently posted..What Do You Treasure Most?

Wanda
    March 30, 2014 at 6:09 pm

What an awesome post Rebekah. We can have too much of good things and forget to partake in the best thing. Thanks so much Barbie for introducing me to Rebekah. Many blessings.
    Wanda recently posted..No Use Troubling Jesus Now

Ann
    March 31, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Technology has all but “eaten us up” in our time. God’s Word is all that truly prevails! “No other words drip sweet like honey and satisfy our hungry souls.” This is so true! Thank you for such true and direct words from your heart, Rebekah! Thank you, for hosting another awesome “Weekend Brew”, Barbie!
    Ann recently posted..Hear My Cry, O God!